Ron DeSantis's Test of Leadership, Hurricane Ian Closes In On Tampa Bay

Tiberius

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

2) We all pay taxes, that doesn't give us the right to demand more to insure our risky behaviours

behaviours?  thats not American spelling, where are u from?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Again though, why?  The reality is the federal government owns the federal flood program.  The decision-making, who gets what, when and for how much.   Decisions made by individuals and financial institutions were/are made on the conditions of the program.  

I suppose they could offer federal forgiveness of mortgages for individuals who relied on the program, but that gets pricey. 

The federal flood insurance program was broke back in 2010.  It's now *super* broke.  The reason is Congress doesn't allow FEMA to raise rates on repetitive loss properties or buy them out.  It's not for a lack of trying - FEMA was set to jack the rates up to equal the risk in 2012, and Congress stepped in and stopped it.

The problem is that owners of repetitive loss properties do not pay for the risk of having a property in a floodplain or flood-prone area.  They keep receiving cheap flood insurance even if their house has been destroyed ten times by flooding.  

I'm not suggesting the government ban people from living in these areas, but it is fair for them to pay what the risk demands or have the government have the opportunity to buy the property.   

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Do you live in some uninformed vacuum?

Are you even aware of existing law and the non enforcement?

Here's one clue, because I'm not going to do your homework for you.

The void between what you know and what is real is too great for a volunteer poster to spend time on

Not just the immigration thing, but on so many levels.

Post 9-11, the US INS Service reported that there two million individuals that had overextended their student visas and were unaccounted for.

Two million........And that's just student visas.

We are absolutely not enforcing immigration law. and to suggest that we are is lunacy.

So you want to hurt this people, correct? 

You want them rounded up and shipped back to where they escaped from, correct? 

Get those darn students! Hurt them! 

You are sick 

7 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The federal flood insurance program was broke back in 2010.  It's now *super* broke.  The reason is Congress doesn't allow FEMA to raise rates on repetitive loss properties or buy them out.  It's not for a lack of trying - FEMA was set to jack the rates up to equal the risk in 2012, and Congress stepped in and stopped it.

The problem is that owners of repetitive loss properties do not pay for the risk of having a property in a floodplain or flood-prone area.  They keep receiving cheap flood insurance even if their house has been destroyed ten times by flooding.  

I'm not suggesting the government ban people from living in these areas, but it is fair for them to pay what the risk demands or have the government have the opportunity to buy the property.   

Sure, there are problems with the federal program because it's handled politically.  The same scenario applies to Medicare, and Social Security.  Government pensions and benefits are are not adequately funded, are borne by all Americans and benefit the select few, relatively speaking.   Then there's this sort of thing:

https://www.csus.edu/indiv/k/kusnickj/honors/northridge.html#:~:text=The United States government declared,in to assist in recovery.

Local Response

The United States government declared the Northridge earthquake a national disaster.

$11,000,000,000 federal assistance was sent to the Los Angeles and Ventura counties.*

The Federal Emergency Management System (FEMA) sent personnel in to assist in recovery.

National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) agencies were put in charge of helping in long-term recovery. (FEMA, USGS, National Science Foundation, National Institute of Standards and Technology).

*$23,000,000 +/- when adjusted for inflation

Why the special treatment for the poor folks on the East Coast?  

This is a federal program and should be fixed by the feds.  Match risk with pricing, I'm all for it.  But suggesting the feds abandon a program they designed and created would be devastating to the economy.  An alternative might be to privatize the program, let the free market figure it out, but even then, the inherent nature of government seems to be to completely ignore the math associated with risk and reward. 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Do you live in some uninformed vacuum?

Are you even aware of existing law and the non enforcement?

Here's one clue, because I'm not going to do your homework for you.

The void between what you know and what is real is too great for a volunteer poster to spend time on

Not just the immigration thing, but on so many levels.

Post 9-11, the US INS Service reported that there two million individuals that had overextended their student visas and were unaccounted for.

Two million........And that's just student visas.

We are absolutely not enforcing immigration law. and to suggest that we are is lunacy.

Obviously.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

So you want to hurt this people, correct? 

You want them rounded up and shipped back to where they escaped from, correct? 

Get those darn students! Hurt them! 

You are sick 

Ya.

That's it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Yeah, Dems never do this stuff.  When does the war start?  

No photos, he doesn’t care.  Photos, he’s an attention *****.  

Can you imagine the outrage if Biden didn’t  visit the southern border and the humanitarian tragedy down th——oh, wait.  Never mind.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 hours ago, sherpa said:

Ya.

That's it.

Well, what is it you want to do with these 2 million people? We have a worker shortage as it is, mass deportation would really hurt the economy, not to mention hurting those you want rounded up 

No photos, he doesn’t care.  Photos, he’s an attention *****.  

And it's Trump's fault either way

Can you imagine the outrage if Biden didn’t  visit the southern border and the humanitarian tragedy down th——oh, wait.  Never mind.  

Again, Trump's fault.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Well, what is it you want to do with these 2 million people? We have a worker shortage as it is, mass deportation would really hurt the economy, not to mention hurting those you want rounded up 

I think you have a significant problem processing information that you read.

That problem leads to really bizarre speculations, premises and conclusions.

I pointed out that after 9-11, the Immigration and Naturalization folks, when asked about how these folks got in the country, pointed out to us that the system had no idea where two million kids on student visas were, as there was no record of them abiding by the visas and leaving.

That is one small snapshot of how poor this issue is managed. That is just student visas.

I can tell that you have no idea of the many visa programs that the US has in place, but that is just one of them.

From that, you conclude that I want them "rounded up," "hurt," and "shipped back to where they escaped from."

Those are your words.

They didn't "escape." They were grated student visas for the purpose of study.

It is taking too much time to reply to your weird suppositions and obvious lack of knowledge than is worth the effort.

I'm not sure you're aware of it, (actually I am), but whatever cause/viewpoint you may be promoting is suffering from your "stuff."

To be more clear, you are a net negative to your causes, and not by a small margin.

7 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I think you have a significant problem processing information that you read.

That problem leads to really bizarre speculations, premises and conclusions.

I pointed out that after 9-11, the Immigration and Naturalization folks, when asked about how these folks got in the country, pointed out to us that the system had no idea where two million kids on student visas were, as there was no record of them abiding by the visas and leaving.

That is one small snapshot of how poor this issue is managed. That is just student visas.

I can tell that you have no idea of the many visa programs that the US has in place, but that is just one of them.

From that, you conclude that I want them "rounded up," "hurt," and "shipped back to where they escaped from."

Those are your words.

They didn't "escape." They were grated student visas for the purpose of study.

It is taking too much time to reply to your weird suppositions and obvious lack of knowledge than is worth the effort.

I'm not sure you're aware of it, (actually I am), but whatever cause/viewpoint you may be promoting is suffering from your "stuff."

To be more clear, you are a net negative to your causes, and not by a small margin.

You were complaining about 2 million "illegal people" running around. I asked what was to be done? You couldn't answer. 

So what are you complaing about. I bet when Trump was president and the GOP had both houses you didn't pull on your short hairs of them not "taking care" of the immigrants