Update: Xavier Rhodes signed by Bills

Steel City Mafia

54 minutes ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

So, with the 2 that are out for the year, we are allowed to go over the cap by whatever their cap is, correct? I know hockey Cap rules, not so much with the foosballs

The NFL Cap is a hard cap.  You can't go over.  All players cost in $s count against the cap.

53 Roster

IR

PUP

Reserve/Suspended

Practice Squad

Dead Money

As to your question about guys going on IR there are certain rules as to the "cap cost".  If a vet (aka Tre White) goes on IR his entire

cost is "charged" to the cap.  If a player less than 4 years (aka Marquez Stevenson) only a prorated portion is charged.

What the exact formula is I can't remember.  Stevenson (as an example) would have had a cap hit of around $800k if he was on the roster

healthy.  While he is on IR he has a cap hit of $500k.  

There are also "injury/waived settlements, but that player has to be released and cannot be re-signed by the team.

18 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

So,you know cap hit of injured players still counts?

Yes, see above.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The NFL Cap is a hard cap.  You can't go over.  All players cost in $s count against the cap.

53 Roster

IR

PUP

Reserve/Suspended

Practice Squad

Dead Money

As to your question about guys going on IR there are certain rules as to the "cap cost".  If a vet (aka Tre White) goes on IR his entire

cost is "charged" to the cap.  If a player less than 4 years (aka Marquez Stevenson) only a prorated portion is charged.

What the exact formula is I can't remember.  Stevenson (as an example) would have had a cap hit of around $800k if he was on the roster

There are also "injury/waived settlements, but that player has to be released and cannot be re-signed by the team.

Yes, see above.

Moral of the story - we currently have under $3M to sign body's...

If they plan on extending Edmunds could create some $ but not a lot of other options. 

Edited by ngbills

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If they plan on extending Edmunds could create some $ but not a lot of other options. 

That's why they will likely put him on the PS and only call up as needed

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Nope.  Josh could free up a couple of million with a restructure.  Some other guys could go with a void year.

All that just throws the money immediately into next year's cost.  So not sure what Beane will do.

Funny you mentioned Edmunds.  I tried digging any info up on whether a 5th year option player has ever done a restructure (without an

extension) but couldn't find anything.  It would be weird, but I don't see any rule saying it can't be done.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's why they will likely put him on the PS and only call up as needed

If Rhodes signed a vet minimum it would cost about $1M.  If he wanted more it could have a void year attached.

I guess it's an option.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Nope.  Josh could free up a couple of million with a restructure.  Some other guys could go with a void year.

All that just throws the money immediately into next year's cost.  So not sure what Beane will do.

Funny you mentioned Edmunds.  I tried digging any info up on whether a 5th year option player has ever done a restructure (without an

extension) but couldn't find anything.  It would be weird, but I don't see any rule saying it can't be done.

If Rhodes signed a vet minimum it would cost about $1M.  If he wanted more it could have a void year attached.

I guess it's an option.

I believe they would get a cap cost savings due to the rules for signing NFL vets to 1 year minimum contracts...

They only get charged the equivalent of the minimum contract of a player with 2 years of service instead of however many they have...

So it would be 895K instead of 1.0365 million pro-rated for 14 games instead of the full 17 since we already played 3 games, which would be about $737K on the cap.

If they put him on the PS, he would only count $15.4K a week plus a normal game check each time he is called up, which would save quite a bit of money.

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/#:~:text=The Veteran Salary Benefit allows,time (plus the bonus).

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess it's an option.

I think if you sign a vet to minimum that they count less against the cap yet that might have been under the old CBA. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

53 Roster

IR

PUP

Reserve/Suspended

Practice Squad

Dead Money

Yes, see above.

You also can save money against the cap by signing a vet with more than 2 years of experience to a 1 year deal as explained here...was designed so teams wouldn't cut vets that cost more to keep players that cost less. Basically any vet signed to a 1 year minimum contract with more than 2 years of experience only counts against the cap the same as a player with 2 years experience. So for instance, Rhodes would be paid $1.036 million but only count $895K against the cap.

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/#:~:text=So%2C under the VSB rules,%241%2C047%2C500 (%24895K %2B 152%2C500).

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess it's an option.

Pay Rhodes and Collins 1M each. That's more than they'll make sitting on the couch. We need help immediately and God knows when Tre, Dane and Poyer will be 100%.  Jaquan's 29 pff wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Because he stunk. Last night game was livin proof

That giants o line performance last night has to be one of the worst I can remember in recent history. I can’t remember an entire o line getting beat so quickly and consistently like that. Like, any time the cowboys rushed, especially in that 2nd half, they were able to beat the o line.

The entire o line looked terrible, Feliciano included. Giants fans were roasting him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Pay Rhodes and Collins 1M each. That's more than they'll make sitting on the couch. We need help immediately and God knows when Tre, Dane and Poyer will be 100%.  Jaquan's 29 pff wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. 

Collins isn’t a good fit imo.  We don’t need help at Lb.  He can’t fill the role that McD\frazier need out of his safety’s.  His best bet is to add more weight and hope he can stick as a LB.  

Jaquan wasn’t nearly that bad 

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess it's an option.

It’s tight. You’re right that the team could free up a couple million from Allen. They also could free up some by restructuring the salaries of Oliver and Keenum and adding void years to their deals. They could’ve done this with Poyer when they added incentives. I’m not sure why they didn’t. Maybe it was because they wanted the salary in tact in case negotiations went sour. More there for Poyer to lose if he got suspended by the team. We are reaching into our emergency fund if the team were to make any of these restructures IMO. I’m generally a fan of kicking cap hits to the future, but these are scraping the bottom of the cap space barrel moves. 

As for Edmunds, it is permissible for both parties to agree to modify a fifth year option after it has been put into effect. It can’t be modified prior though. That just means teams can’t deviate from the league thresholds and calculations. Unlike franchise and transition tags, the team and player can agree to change the terms of the contract once in place. Baker Mayfield did this this off-season. I doubt that Edmunds would simply restructure and add void years. Why would he? His agent would insist on a new, long-term contract with a lot of guaranteed money. It would add cap space this season, but would definitely hamper the Bills with other contracts next offseason. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.