Update: Xavier Rhodes signed by Bills

Steel City Mafia

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He wasn't good last year either.  Looked both small and out of shape - as if he expected to be starting at Center.  Then they re-did Morse's deal all but sealing his fate as depth center and guard. 

100%.  He lost his job and was/is salty about it. 

Like Beasley, there wasn't a path where he would be with the Bills in 2022. 

32 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I said all along it was a big mistake not bringing in a veteran DB in the offseason.

With that said, if Rhodes has anything left in the tank this is as good an in season signing at a position of need you can probably get at this point similar to what the Bucs just did with our old friend Beasely.

Can't predict injuries I thought the rookies more than showed themselves to be capable. System McDermott runs is CB friendly so I was fine with them not signing a "name" guy if they felt the guys they had were up to the task. There is a reason these veteran CBs are on the street not currently signed. However, with all the injuries it does make sense to sign zone corner CB that can fill in till we get some guys back healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Any discussion of bringing Daryl Williams back? Or is he banished at this point?

Williams is a motivation issue. When he wants to, he's good, but most of the time he plays like he just doesn't care.  Mongo's primary talent involves getting in scurmishes. Here's where a healthy Teller would be amazing if still with us.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Williams is a motivation issue. When he wants to, he's good, but most of the time he plays like he just doesn't care.  Mongo's primary talent involves getting in scurmishes. Here's where a healthy Teller would be amazing if still with us.

Pretty sure if Teller was still with us, he'd be out with a severed left arm and an arrow to the knee.

• Haha (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I said all along it was a big mistake not bringing in a veteran DB in the offseason.

With that said, if Rhodes has anything left in the tank this is as good an in season signing at a position of need you can probably get at this point similar to what the Bucs just did with our old friend Beasely.

and they didnt need to.  The rooks played fine and so did Dane.  Cant predict this many injuries.  Needing a vet for a couple weeks now doesnt make you right.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

It's not as big of a problem. Morse was a game time decision on Sunday, so you would have to assume that he'll be back on Sunday. Except for Bates (concussion), the rest of the guys that left the game on Sunday were due to heat. And Bates might be able to play on Sunday. It depends on how long symptoms linger.

Yeah, I expect Morse and Brown to be back. Meaning we are only down Bates, which while not ideal, shouldn't be a huge problem.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I expect Morse and Brown to be back. Meaning we are only down Bates, which while not ideal, shouldn't be a huge problem.

I'm hoping Brown's struggles last week were heat-related, but early in the game both of our tackles (Brown and Dawkins) were pretty bad.

Yes, we have got to stop the second guessing the roster. Yes, Sunday sucked to lose. But let’s not try to armchair, Monday morning QB the roster because of an absolute perfect storm of injuries coinciding with playing on the surface of the sun.

We were down to our 4th string center for cris’sakes. We started one DB in the backfield who was actually a starter and then immediately lost one to a broken hand. 

Does anybody remember that the two weeks before this we were widely being touted as having the deepest, most talented roster in the league? That didn’t change. They just got decimated. And trying to play the “if only” game doesn’t change that. It assumes that we could have somehow had more depth than the league allowed and that that depth wouldn’t have been impacted. 

If, for instance, we did still have Feliciano, who says he makes it out of that game healthy? If Brown, the most physically gifted o-lineman the league has ever seen, if you believe RAS, went down to the heat, am I betting my paycheck that Mongo breezes through that game? I’d put more money on him still being in an ice bath as I type. He was never the poster child for fitness when he was here.

We just have to hope they can do the rope-a-dope long enough to get some health back without ruining playoff hopes. If they can do that, I’d give them way more than a punchers chance to still be in it at the end.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

All the more reason to draft them early.   The bust rate may be worse for linemen than other positions, even high in the draft, but it's completely clear that the talent is generally at the top of the draft.   Bust rate may be bad for those guys, but the bust rate for guys you take in the 6th is worse.  

In a sense, it's the opposite of taking a running back high.  You can always find a running back, so you shouldn't use high picks on them.  It's hard to find olinemen, so that's where you should use your draft picks.  

Bingo!  Agree 100%. Outside of Ford, this regime has failed to use premium draft capital on offensive linemen. Yes,  they signed Morse and the previous regime drafted Dawkins, but the rest has been underwhelming. The bad thing is that we have a qb like Allen and he doesn’t really get sustainable resources put into the line. This off-season needs to be all about the offensive line and adding some more speed outside of cook. 

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

We need experience in the secondary. I've read in another thread people thinking the defense wasn't to blame on Sunday, they were.  30 plays, 3 tds.  Giving up a td every 10 plays is not good. Giving up 3rd and 22 is not good.  Allowing speedsters to split the safeties deep is not good. 

The secondary was abused, and by a qb that's not that good.  Teams will attack us deep from here on out unless we can stop. 

We need veteran help. 

The defense played fine on Sunday one of those TDs was a fumble right at the goal line a lot to ask of a defense however having a veteran on this team if he can still play is definitely a good idea given the amount of injuries I really don’t want to rely on a rookie player from UB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.