Update: Xavier Rhodes signed by Bills

Steel City Mafia

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

It should have never come to this. 

I'd guess that the fault lies with McDermott.   He and Beane talk regularly about what McDermott needs, and my guess would be that McDermott told Beane that Brown and Bates were the answers he needed on the right side.  Between the two of them they decided to let Feliciano go.  Bills would be much better off today if Feliciano was still on the roster. 

• Disagree 7

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd guess that the fault lies with McDermott.   He and Beane talk regularly about what McDermott needs, and my guess would be that McDermott told Beane that Brown and Bates were the answers he needed on the right side.  Between the two of them they decided to let Feliciano go.  Bills would be much better off today if Feliciano was still on the roster. 

You're talking like that was even an option.  Feliciano wasn't going to be on the roster regardless of team needs. 

• Agree 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Everything you say is absolutely true. But the fact that the evaluation is so difficult makes the bust rate for OL higher than at other positions.

All the more reason to draft them early.   The bust rate may be worse for linemen than other positions, even high in the draft, but it's completely clear that the talent is generally at the top of the draft.   Bust rate may be bad for those guys, but the bust rate for guys you take in the 6th is worse.  

In a sense, it's the opposite of taking a running back high.  You can always find a running back, so you shouldn't use high picks on them.  It's hard to find olinemen, so that's where you should use your draft picks.  

• Like (+1) 1

We need experience in the secondary. I've read in another thread people thinking the defense wasn't to blame on Sunday, they were.  30 plays, 3 tds.  Giving up a td every 10 plays is not good. Giving up 3rd and 22 is not good.  Allowing speedsters to split the safeties deep is not good. 

The secondary was abused, and by a qb that's not that good.  Teams will attack us deep from here on out unless we can stop. 

We need veteran help. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know that we can be making statements like this after two games...

I say two games because I'm not taking anything away from the Miami game where one got hurt and the other left in Q2 with heat exhaustion.  

The Giants OL, obviously not entirely due to Feliciano, is a disaster.  Pretty wild how their high draft pick, Evan Neal, has struggled. 

Just now, Shaw66 said:

All the more reason to draft them early.   The bust rate may be worse for linemen than other positions, even high in the draft, but it's completely clear that the talent is generally at the top of the draft.   Bust rate may be bad for those guys, but the bust rate for guys you take in the 6th is worse.  

In a sense, it's the opposite of taking a running back high.  You can always find a running back, so you shouldn't use high picks on them.  It's hard to find olinemen, so that's where you should use your draft picks.  

OL is certainly on the list of positions you can take high. It goes:

• QB
  • EDGE/pass rush
  • OT
  • CB
  • WR/Pass-catching TE

I said all along it was a big mistake not bringing in a veteran DB in the offseason.

With that said, if Rhodes has anything left in the tank this is as good an in season signing at a position of need you can probably get at this point similar to what the Bucs just did with our old friend Beasely.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

He was unhappy with his usage as a guard, had disagreements with the coaching staff.  

Didn't you see all the shade he was throwing during the offseason? 

Not only that, but he wasn't going to start here and he would have been a PITA about it. We upgraded with Bates and Saffold anyway. He's the starting center on what will be a rebuilding NYG team. Good for him.

• Agree 2

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

I said all along it was a big mistake not bringing in a veteran DB in the offseason.

With that said, if Rhodes has anything left in the tank this is as good an in season signing at a position of need you can probably get at this point similar to what the Bucs just did with our old friend Beasely.

It seems they were justified in trusting Elam, Jackson and Benford.  They all look like pretty good corners, albeit young.  I can't get on them for not signing a vet CB, when they get Tre back in a few weeks, plus entered the season with 3 outside corners that they clearly liked a lot.  Also, how do we even know a vet corner would come here if they knew they weren't going to start.. and likely would be signed to the PS. 

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

We need experience in the secondary. I've read in another thread people thinking the defense wasn't to blame on Sunday, they were.  30 plays, 3 tds.  Giving up a td every 10 plays is not good. Giving up 3rd and 22 is not good.  Allowing speedsters to split the safeties deep is not good. 

The secondary was abused, and by a qb that's not that good.  Teams will attack us deep from here on out unless we can stop. 

We need veteran help. 

You put that loss of the defense?  Seriously?  5 punts-  we punter one time….had 31 first downs 500 yard of offense….. and scored 19 points.  The d held them to 212 total offense.  The offense gifted the dolphins 1 TD by fumbling inside the 5.

you’re blaming the D for that loss?  Seriously?Sanford And Son Smh GIF

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It seems they were justified in trusting Elam, Jackson and Benford.  They all look like pretty good corners, albeit young.  I can't get on them for not signing a vet CB, when they get Tre back in a few weeks, plus entered the season with 3 outside corners that they clearly liked a lot.  Also, how do we even know a vet corner would come here if they knew they weren't going to start.. and likely would be signed to the PS. 

I'm sure that's part of it, but a lot of veterans chasing a SB ring know they might not start or get a bulk of the snaps when they sign with similar teams.

I think at this point though the Bills have no choice given the current injury situation and for all we know this might be more about Tre White if they already know he's not going to be ready to come off the PUP next week.

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Here we gooooooo!!!

One loss and “I said this”, “I said that”.  “If Beane would’ve listened to me, we wouldn’t be in this situation”.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Not only that, but he wasn't going to start here and he would have been a PITA about it. We upgraded with Bates and Saffold anyway. He's the starting center on what will be a rebuilding NYG team. Good for him.

Thank you both for responding.  I didn't know all that.   

I'd say, however, that this explanation points out exactly why no one has oline depth.  Feliciano on the bench in Buffalo would have been perfect.   He can't play center and guard at the same time, but the Bills would have been in position to plug one of the holes they currently have.   Feliciano isn't a star, but he knows he can start in the league, so why would he stay somewhere to be a backup?  

I just keep coming back to the point that Gunner and others have been made - Bills haven't invested in the oline, and that's looking like it's a problem.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You put that loss of the defense?  Seriously?  5 punts-  we punter one time….had 31 first downs 500 yard of offense….. and scored 19 points.  The d held them to 212 total offense.  The offense gifted the dolphins 1 TD by fumbling inside the 5.

you’re blaming the D for that loss?  Seriously?Sanford And Son Smh GIF

And one of the touchdowns was a gift after the strip sack at the seven.  

And, by the way, after the offense failed from the two late in the game, the defense forced a three and out, kept the Dolphins pinned on the goal line, and got a safety.   All the Bills needed from their offense was a field goal, and they couldn't do that, either.   

No way at all that the loss was on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He was unhappy with his usage as a guard, had disagreements with the coaching staff.  

Didn't you see all the shade he was throwing during the offseason? 

He wasn't good last year either.  Looked both small and out of shape - as if he expected to be starting at Center.  Then they re-did Morse's deal all but sealing his fate as depth center and guard. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.