Update: Xavier Rhodes signed by Bills

Steel City Mafia

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I anticipate he could be signed to the PS and then elevated until Benford/Dane/Tre are back 

Why would Bills put him on PS? They need CB on the 53 due to the loss of  Benford,questions about Jackson, ongoing absence of White. ( also need to replace Doyle.)

Edited by Herb Nightly

1 minute ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

So, when are they going to bring in some O linemen?

It's not as big of a problem. Morse was a game time decision on Sunday, so you would have to assume that he'll be back on Sunday. Except for Bates (concussion), the rest of the guys that left the game on Sunday were due to heat. And Bates might be able to play on Sunday. It depends on how long symptoms linger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

So, when are they going to bring in some O linemen?

Depends on the timeline of the injuries ( which they know but only use the official vague designations when discussing with media ) and if there are any players available that fit their scheme etc. OL depth has been a problem around the NFL in recent years so the pickings are likely slim. 

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Wonder when they are gonna address the depth on the oline?

You're dreaming.  You think there is some starter-quality offensive lineman sitting on someone's practice squad.   Every single guy you or I would think is good enough is on some team's 53 already.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're dreaming.  You think there is some starter-quality offensive lineman sitting on someone's practice squad.   Every single guy you or I would think is good enough is on some team's 53 already.  

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Depends on the timeline of the injuries ( which they know but only use the official vague designations when discussing with media ) and if there are any players available that fit their scheme etc. OL depth has been a problem around the NFL in recent years so the pickings are likely slim. 

You guys both bring up the key point that fans don't understand. There is a real lack of quality O linemen across the NFL. This problem has only gotten worse as years have gone on.  A few years ago, Colin Cowheard (I know, I know) quoted an NFL GM  saying that the proliferation of single-read spread offenses in college football has made evaluation linemen difficult because they almost never have to hold a pass block. 

• Like (+1) 1

A show chronicling the life of a player like Rhodes would be interesting. 

You're sort of in a purgatory between active NFL player and retired, have to do something else, NFL player.

Is he mowing lawn and playing with the kids and a call comes in?  Does he still work out twice a day in case he gets a call?

25 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Because they can sign him to the PS and elevate him for a few weeks until guys get back.  Every team does this during the season. No need to sign him to the 53

Right...especially if they are not IR'ing anyone.

Just now, whorlnut said:

It should have never come to this. 

Can you name one team that has better OLine depth than the Bills had with positional flexibility?  I'll wait.  

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

You guys both bring up the key point that fans don't understand. There is a real lack of quality O linemen across the NFL. This problem has only gotten worse as years have gone on.  A few years ago, Colin Cowheard (I know, I know) quoted an NFL GM  saying that the proliferation of single-read spread offenses in college football has made evaluation linemen difficult because they almost never have to hold a pass block. 

Yeah, and then when you consider the athleticism of the pass rushers, it's an unfair competition.  Miller, of course, is an example, but there are dozens of guys who really test offensive linemen, including Greg Rousseau and plenty of others.   Having guys with both the brains to play the position and the athletic talent to deal with the talents of the defenders is very difficult.   It helps make the point that Gunner has been talking about - you have to invest draft picks in offensive linemen, because in the first couple of rounds is where you find guys with the raw materials necessary to survive in the league.   Later rounds and free agency is pretty slim pickings. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, and then when you consider the athleticism of the pass rushers, it's an unfair competition.  Miller, of course, is an example, but there are dozens of guys who really test offensive linemen, including Greg Rousseau and plenty of others.   Having guys with both the brains to play the position and the athletic talent to deal with the talents of the defenders is very difficult.   It helps make the point that Gunner has been talking about - you have to invest draft picks in offensive linemen, because in the first couple of rounds is where you find guys with the raw materials necessary to survive in the league.   Later rounds and free agency is pretty slim pickings. 

Everything you say is absolutely true. But the fact that the evaluation is so difficult makes the bust rate for OL higher than at other positions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.