Jim Kubiak Analysis in BN

Casey D

5 hours ago, appoo said:

The more I think about that game, the more I think it's a testament to the roster build, McDermott and staff's ball knowledge, and Josh Allen that this game wasn't a 3 score blowout. 

You know how in political forecasting we have something called the fundamentals? Which is to say the inherent advantage for one party over the other based on economy, who's in powers, demographics, etc - before you ever get into candidate quality. 

Well in this game, fundamentals advantages the Dolphins by 3 TDs

He never completed the catch. That wouldn't have been ruled a fumble if it happened in midfield

If it wasnt a completed catch then it can not be ruled a fumble.  It would be ruled an incompletion in that case.  I still think it was a catch but it doesnt matter.  It was so close there is no way to know regardless of what people feel.  We never know what refs are going to do.  They ruled that Int on a 50/50 ball last year when an offensive player always gets the ball on a 50/50.  Upheld on review.  I think challenging it is the right call.  If nothing else the offense gets extra rest and it was obviously needed.  They could have made up the timeout by not calling another timeout later in the game like on the punt.

3 hours ago, Mikie's Bills said:

I mean he catches it with two hands and tucks it away, two feet in bounds. And only after that it is knocked away. Not sure how much more he could do short of making a football move that doesn't need to be made. Starting to be more and more convinced it's a TD.

He also "turns upfield" which is also considered an act common to the game. Its dependent on when the ball actually starts to come out.  Im willing to bet they would have called that a fumble if it was on the field and not the endzone.  If thats the case then it is also a TD.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, uninja said:

It’s the ball getting smacked out as he’s stepping out of bounds. “Did not complete the process of the catch” is what the zebras would say, and they’d be right. 

If I was a ref I would have called it the same way. As much as I wanted it, calling that a TD would have been a terrible call.

The way I see it is if that was in the field and not in the endzone would it be possible to be ruled as a fumble. To be honest, I think it could have. 

11 hours ago, uninja said:

The last couple of drives Allen was pressing. He has a tendency to get like that when we're down and the clock is ticking. You were starting to see the more erratic, sugar-high, Josh. He had a handful of risky throws that by all accounts should have been intercepted.

I'm going to chalk it up to mental and physical exhaustion and having to play with a completely different cast of players that he's normally used to playing with.

I think that's just who Josh is.  Though he may still outgrow it.

I thought all that stuff was over, that he had already matured beyond it, but as soon as conditions were right for panic Josh to show up, he showed up.   We're probably just going to have to live with, and be content knowing that his entire package of pros and cons is still plenty good enough to win a SB.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I thought all that stuff was over, that he had already matured beyond it, but as soon as conditions were right for panic Josh to show up, he showed up.   We're probably just going to have to live with, and be content knowing that his entire package of pros and cons is still plenty good enough to win a SB.

There was no panic-- just sheer exhaustion.

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think it’s hard to judge him on Sunday  about erratic play because nothing about the situation was normal. I’m more impressed he did what he did despite the circumstances. 

14 hours ago, Casey D said:

Behind a paywall, but it is an amazing read on the game and the adversity the Bills and Allen almost overcame. 

The gist of it is that the entire game plan went out the window due to injuries and heat exhaustion.  Lots of plays they would have liked to call could not be used. Execution was all effed up because the guys on the field rarely play together.  Despite all that, Allen still got them within a win, and six key mistakes-- anyone of which went differently likely would have ended the game with a W-- cost them.  That does not do the article justice, but there it is.

I really think the fatigue of the heat helped on some of those miscues on offense as they were exhausted as mush as the unfamiliarity

15 hours ago, H2o said:

No, this one was not all on McDermott. It would have been nice to see him challenge the Gabe Davis reception that should have been a TD though. Just saying. 

Yeah he probably should've challenged Gabe's play. So what if it costs him a time out. He's just going to blow his TO's in the 3rd Qtr anyway. 😉

19 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

That's the game I saw. Apparently everyone else saw the Dolphins totally dominate and crush the Bills to the point where they are the new #1 in "power rankings."

How’s the weather starts turning Miami will start fading in all these super irritating fin fans will be once again crying in their beer

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think that was the most concerning thing for me on Sunday (other than the mounting injuries) - that Josh seemed to return to Sugar High. But in truth is that a surprise? He’s had four strong games in a row, but showed signs of this through the regular season last year. However, on the flip side, can anyone blame him for what happened at the Dolphins considering the OL he was behind and, by the second half, he basically had no one to work with?

8 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think that was the most concerning thing for me on Sunday (other than the mounting injuries) - that Josh seemed to return to Sugar High. But in truth is that a surprise? He’s had four strong games in a row, but showed signs of this through the regular season last year. However, on the flip side, can anyone blame him for what happened at the Dolphins considering the OL he was behind and, by the second half, he basically had no one to work with?

Great now we’re going to start bashing on our Mvp bound unicorn quarterback

How many times did he throw during this game how many long drives 400 yards no Ints

19 hours ago, uninja said:

The last couple of drives Allen was pressing. He has a tendency to get like that when we're down and the clock is ticking. You were starting to see the more erratic, sugar-high, Josh. He had a handful of risky throws that by all accounts should have been intercepted.

I'm going to chalk it up to mental and physical exhaustion and having to play with a completely different cast of players that he's normally used to playing with.

Make it easier for him then.  On second and goal from the one on the second last drive have him qb sneak it.  If that doesn't work do it again.  Then maybe call that play to McKenzie.

20 hours ago, uninja said:

How many come from behind touchdown passes does Josh Allen have for this team Josh’s best under pressure

It was the team around him imploding that was the problem I center that can’t get them the ball a running game that wasn’t working pressure on every play and trying to run a long drive short Passinggame plan To keep the ball away from hill and waddle

The one thing that I don’t like that they’re doing is the third and one game plan this is an excellent opportunity to have a full back get you a yard and give the office of line some confidence and running the ball this passing out of shotgun to gain a yard thing is Driving me insane just another opportunity for somebody to take a hit at our quarterback

Edited by John from Riverside

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What did you say in your first sentence this whole reverting back bull####

I don’t think he’s reverting back to anything. I think that’s who he is - a phenomenal quarterback who has a precedence to force things when the going gets tough because he takes everything on his back in those situations. Whether we saw that at the weekend though is debatable for me. My thought, with head over emotion, is what else could he have done in that situation?

Saying that, the Josh for swathes of the 2021 regular season won’t just go away; the best thing will be that side of him will raise it’s head less and less as time goes on and he gains more experience. Or perhaps if and when we get an properly effective OL.

I wouldn’t change him for anything. For me he’s the best QB in the league with Mahomes a close second and, fingers crossed, will be with us for years.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I don’t think he’s reverting back to anything. I think that’s who he is - a phenomenal quarterback who has a precedence to force things when the going gets tough because he takes everything on his back in those situations. Whether we saw that at the weekend though is debatable for me. My thought, with head over emotion, is what else could he have done in that situation?

Saying that, the Josh for swathes of the 2021 regular season won’t just go away; the best thing will be that side of him will raise it’s head less and less as time goes on and he gains more experience. Or perhaps if and when we get an properly effective OL.

I wouldn’t change him for anything. For me he’s the best QB in the league with Mahomes a close second and, fingers crossed, will be with us for years.

This is Who Josh is you also wouldn’t have the big place if he wasn’t taking the big chances the funny thing about this is the majority of this game he was Tom Brady ISH just dissecting them all game along with a short passing game for a long time consuming drives instead of throwing the ball down the field I personally think we’re being over conservative in that area and should just let Josh sling it a little bit

Just now, John from Riverside said:

This is Who Josh is you also wouldn’t have the big place if he wasn’t taking the big chances the funny thing about this is the majority of this game he was Tom Brady ISH just dissecting them all game along with a short passing game for a long time consuming drives instead of throwing the ball down the field I personally think we’re being over conservative in that area and should just let Josh sling it a little bit

I think that was especially prevalent on Sunday because we wanted to prolong offensive drives and keep the depleted defense off the field.

I agree with you about the short down conversions. We’ve had some very odd play calling across the season which has put us on the back foot.

21 hours ago, H2o said:

Possession, two feet, and what seemed to be a football move before it was knocked out is what I saw. Even if we didn't get the call reversed by the refs, who were ABSOLUTELY suspect this game, I wouldn't have been mad at the challenge in any way. 

It wasn't the worst officiating ever, but the bias was obvious.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.