Jim Kubiak Analysis in BN

Casey D

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

More proof that the team (and us fans) just need to flush this game and forget about it.  

I was disappointed after the loss but not upset at all.  My concern going forward is the residual aftereffects of the game.

The guys need to get as healthy as possible for Sunday.

Slipping into Baltimore and coming out with a win (of any kind) would be a huge victory for the team!

They get a bit of relief the following week with the Steelers at home.

• Agree 4

***Bills are down to third stringers across the o-line, d-line, and in the secondary, a Doordash driver is covering Jaylen Waddle, our starting QB can barely take an in-breath, and players are literally dropping to the field play after play, exhausted, heat-sick, and unable or barely able to continue in a game that one Dolphins player called "a war zone"***

Multiple TSWers: "COACHES are the reason we lost!!!" 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was disappointed after the loss but not upset at all.  My concern going forward is the residual aftereffects of the game.

Slipping into Baltimore and coming out with a win (of any kind) would be a huge victory for the team!

I've already put the 1 seed out of my mind. 

Right now, my goal for this team is just to get it peaking , and healthy, for the stretch run and then into the playoffs.  

Anywhere in the top 4 seeds will do for me

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I don’t agree with this. How many TD’s (in the endzone) do you see a football move happen? How many jukes, etc happen after catching in the endzone?

People will say “it’s the time that matters”. Except it’s often not. Watch this clip below. Lamb catches the ball and refs signal TD nearly immediately. THEY ARENT EVEN LOOKING AT HIM ON THE GROUND to see if he dropped it.

Just 2 feet were in, TD.

Yea just like breaking the plane at the goal line u catch the pass 2 feet in  its a td.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yeah, that's my worry as well.  Putting your body through that level of physical and mental torture takes a real toll and requires serious recovery.  I'm more than a little worried about how we are going to come out against the Ravens on Sunday.  And that's not even considering all of the actual physical injuries we are suffering from.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Possession, two feet, and what seemed to be a football move before it was knocked out is what I saw. Even if we didn't get the call reversed by the refs, who were ABSOLUTELY suspect this game, I wouldn't have been mad at the challenge in any way. 

wasting a challenge because of your emotions wouldn't have been a great idea. There was no way the call on the field would be overruled on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, appoo said:

I've already put the 1 seed out of my mind. 

Right now, my goal for this team is just to get it peaking , and healthy, for the stretch run and then into the playoffs.  

Anywhere in the top 4 seeds will do for me

While I have not.  I still think the Bills have the inside shot at the #1.  The injuries will need to stop now but all the top AFC teams

will lose multiple games during the season.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

While I have not.  I still think the Bills have the inside shot at the #1.  The injuries will need to stop now but all the top AFC teams

Normally I'm with you because I think the bye week is huge. 

But all these injuries have me a bit spooked, to be chasing it. Would rather the team be conservative with player health. When you have a team this good, this talented, then just getting them into the playoffs healthy is better than getting the #1 seed with bumped and bruised roster IMO - but to be sure, I don't know if those two things are mutually exclusive. 

Really, just never seen an injury situation like this before with the Bills. Reminds me of the Niner a few years ago after their Super Bowl run, when their defense was grim reapered

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Also, the schedule is way more favorable after the bye.  We get to 4-2 and we have a great chance at bye.  Even a shot at 3-3.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

He never completed the catch. That wouldn't have been ruled a fumble if it happened in midfield

At mid-field a football move needs to be made. I don' t think that is the case in the endzone, because a "football move" is related to advancing the ball, which obviously doesn't apply in the endzone.

Would have been worth the challenge I think, as others have pointed out there are examples of plays where two feet and possession have been enough to rule a TD.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mikie's Bills said:

At mid-field a football move needs to be made. I don' t think that is the case in the endzone, because a "football move" is related to advancing the ball, which obviously doesn't apply in the endzone.

Would have been worth the challenge I think, as others have pointed out there are examples of plays where two feet and possession have been enough to rule a TD.

More about process of the catch I think. 

9 minutes ago, appoo said:

Normally I'm with you because I think the bye week is huge. 

But all these injuries have me a bit spooked, to be chasing it. Would rather the team be conservative with player health. When you have a team this good, this talented, then just getting them into the playoffs healthy is better than getting the #1 seed with bumped and bruised roster IMO - but to be sure, I don't know if those two things are mutually exclusive. 

Really, just never seen an injury situation like this before with the Bills. Reminds me of the Niner a few years ago after their Super Bowl run, when their defense was grim reapered

It seems pretty clear to me that the Ravens game this Sunday along with the KC and 2nd Miami game will tell the story.

4 hours ago, uninja said:

The last couple of drives Allen was pressing. He has a tendency to get like that when we're down and the clock is ticking. You were starting to see the more erratic, sugar-high, Josh. He had a handful of risky throws that by all accounts should have been intercepted.

I'm going to chalk it up to mental and physical exhaustion and having to play with a completely different cast of players that he's normally used to playing with.

The pressing honestly made sense to me(it normally doesn’t though)…it was only a matter of time before a sack or holding call derailed the drive…he was working miracles making passrushers miss.  Had to take risks down the stretch there he had probably the worst offensive line ever assembled blocking for him late in this one. 

34 minutes ago, appoo said:

More about process of the catch I think. 

I mean he catches it with two hands and tucks it away, two feet in bounds. And only after that it is knocked away. Not sure how much more he could do short of making a football move that doesn't need to be made. Starting to be more and more convinced it's a TD.

23 minutes ago, Mikie's Bills said:

I mean he catches it with two hands and tucks it away, two feet in bounds. And only after that it is knocked away. Not sure how much more he could do short of making a football move that doesn't need to be made. Starting to be more and more convinced it's a TD.

It’s the ball getting smacked out as he’s stepping out of bounds. “Did not complete the process of the catch” is what the zebras would say, and they’d be right. 

If I was a ref I would have called it the same way. As much as I wanted it, calling that a TD would have been a terrible call.

4 minutes ago, uninja said:

It’s the ball getting smacked out as he’s stepping out of bounds. “Did not complete the process of the catch” is what the zebras would say, and they’d be right. 

If I was a ref I would have called it the same way. As much as I wanted it, calling that a TD would have been a terrible call.

That's only if you're going to the ground you have to maintain control. There is not a predetermined amount of time you must control the ball on a TD catch because then it becomes too subjective- (ie. 0.5 sec? 1 sec? the amount of time it takes to hand the ball to the ref, etc. doesn't matter). And plus, even though it doesn't require a football move, the act of Gabe tucking it away does constitute making a football move according to the rulebook.

Again, unless there is a change in the rule since then, I don't see how the first play in this vid is a TD and Gabe's is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvppdpTQC4U&t=16s&ab_channel=AndyProvin

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea just like breaking the plane at the goal line u catch the pass 2 feet in  its a td.

That's not true at all. Once the ball breaks the plane from the field of play, it's instantly a TD as long as the player has control of the ball. A catch in the endzone must satisfy certain requirements after the catch, one of which is a move common to the game or control of the ball long enough to make one. 

If Ceedee had dropped the ball going out of bounds it would have been incomplete as well. But he didn't drop it. Gabe did. And I'm sure he won't make that mistake again.

8 hours ago, RiotAct said:

the potential game-winning field goal would have been from 50ish yards, correct?   Far from a gimme.

Are you talking about from where McKenzie could have gone out of bounds?  That would have been like 64 or 65 yards.  I think even from where McK went down it was like 62.

2 hours ago, Mikie's Bills said:

That's only if you're going to the ground you have to maintain control. There is not a predetermined amount of time you must control the ball on a TD catch because then it becomes too subjective- (ie. 0.5 sec? 1 sec? the amount of time it takes to hand the ball to the ref, etc. doesn't matter). And plus, even though it doesn't require a football move, the act of Gabe tucking it away does constitute making a football move according to the rulebook.

Again, unless there is a change in the rule since then, I don't see how the first play in this vid is a TD and Gabe's is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvppdpTQC4U&t=16s&ab_channel=AndyProvin

You are mistaken on both accounts. There is an amount of time you have to control the ball and there is a football move requirement.

"To gain possession of a loose ball that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a player (a) must have complete control of the ball with his hands or arms and (b) have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands, completely on the ground inbounds, and, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, perform any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent). It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. This rule applies in the field of play, at the sideline, and in the end zone."

Gabe was in the process of making a "football move" when the ball was knocked out. So he clearly did not maintain control of the ball long enough to do so.

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.