Why exactly are we favored by 3.5 in Baltimore?

Adamb412

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You seem to be thinking that we are still, right now "The Buffalo Bills."

We are not.  We are the Buffalo Bills minus a whole BUNCH of our key players.

That results in a team that is somehow not quite the Buffalo Bills, and it's why we got beat by the Dolphins.

The team in Baltimore will still NOT be "The Buffalo Bills."  It will be another injured iteration.

What the betting means is that people who bet on football games still believe in the Bills, nothing more.

It's probably because the average sports betting fan out there is not aware of just how banged up we are.

Brother, I care more about Hurricane Ian right now and I’m stuck in Philly so concerned for my kids at college.  I’ve not paid any attn to who is still injured and who is expected back.  As I write before, I’ll pay attention on Saturday morning if by chance my next flight doesn’t get cancelled like the one Thursday.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:29 PM, Adamb412 said:

I don't get it....

We just lost to Miami, we have a ton of injuries, we are both 2 and 1, the game is in Baltimore. Baltimore going to have revenge on their minds since the last time we saw them was the division game during covid.... What am I missing?

Go argue with the folks in Vegas who make a lot of money on setting these lines.....Vegas makes good money off of NFL bets based off their lines.  It is based on betting action and a balance of how they have the teams ranked.

Don't have the greatest feeling about this game but going to learn a lot about this team in terms of whether or not they can bounce back from a tough loss.

Also not a reach to say the AFC #1 seed could be determined in next 3 weeks with games against the Ravens and Chiefs, at least from the Bills perspective.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Don't have the greatest feeling about this game but going to learn a lot about this team in terms of whether or not they can bounce back from a tough loss.

Also not a reach to say the AFC #1 seed could be determined in next 3 weeks with games against the Ravens and Chiefs, at least from the Bills perspective.

fear monger

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/27/2022 at 4:33 AM, cwater10 said:

Because the oddsmakers do not give a rat's a** who the better team is and are in no way trying to make a statement or an assertion regarding who they think is better or by how much.  They operate by trying to balance where the money comes in.  If they think that the betting public will place more money on Buffalo, then the line will favor Buffalo.  The more money that comes in during the week on Buffalo, then the more that line will increase to entice bettors to go the other way, thus ensuring the sports book a profit regardless of outcome.   

They do not try to balance the money coming in anymore. You know why? More recreational gamblers are in the space and they're not going to open themselves up to professionals with large bankrolls hammering a bad number because of "balance" 

On 9/26/2022 at 9:29 PM, Adamb412 said:

I don't get it....

We just lost to Miami, we have a ton of injuries, we are both 2 and 1, the game is in Baltimore. Baltimore going to have revenge on their minds since the last time we saw them was the division game during covid.... What am I missing?

you seem like you really want to know so i'm going to give you an answer but i cannot list all of the reasons for obvioius reasons.  Numbters are a big reason and Buffalo owns the best qbr against figure in the leauge ..... most teams with a number in that category will prove to be the best in the leauge.  The other is buffalo is 2nd in opponent yards per carry.  The Bills own the better qb.   Public perception is a factor and theyve had all the preseason love.  The number is set to attract money to both sides... now you have some basics, i will tell you the biggest square reasons to like a side is by what you saw most recently and if team B just killed team C and team C killed team A then surely team B will kill team A.  You dont need to worry about the line at all.  Injuries are already in the number. 

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Josh or Lamar being out 

Von Miller and Milano being out?

Line may be adjusted for a key injury but then it's market like any other and money moves the line. Though recreational money probably will not. 

Sounds dumb and hard to do but anyone in here is probably recreational or just sides against rec players so no need to even look at an injury report the oddsmaker already accounted

Ravens defense is not good. At all. Lamar is gonna put up some fireworks, but the Bills DLine and very good linebackers should help semi contain him - but I don't know how that Ravens defense contains this offense. They can go Cover 2 all day, but Allen is still going to grind the field on them, and they don't have the Dolphins DB talent to maintain that strategy for awhile without getting burnt

55 minutes ago, chongli said:

Vegas favored the Bills by 3.5. We won by 3. Look like they pretty much knew what they were doing.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but we were favored by 3.5 because we are the better team. Not to say that Baltimore is not good.

Frankly the Bills decided not to cover.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.