Innocent Observation

dwight in philly

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

I wonder, there are the unaffiliated medical doctors on the sidelines: Can, would, do, they have the authority to say to the officials, we have to stop this game because of unsafe conditions (heat, in this case)? I know it is the all-powerful NFL, but at what point does player and fan safety take precedent? We do see it for lightening and severe weather, is not heat a severe weather situation?

I've seen this happen in soccer games.  They will take a timeout for the players to cool down and rehydrate.  I actually thought that was happening in the game when Bates got hurt because it lasted a longer time than normal and so many players were taking a knee.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

These gen Z'ers need to man up. The most adversity they've had in their adult lives is when they ran out of toilet paper at the store during COVID.

Back in my day, we didn't have concussions. It was called getting your bell rung and if you sat out for more than 1 play then you were a sissy. One kid on my team got the wind knocked out of him and the coach chewed him out and said if you are laying on his field it's because they need to call in the ambulance, otherwise man up and get back in the huddle. If we broke a bone they would tape it up with athletic tape, duct tape, scotch tape, whatever they had and you would be back out there the next series. Kids these days have no idea 

Bleeding?  Yeah just rub some dirt on it and get back in there.  Those were the days. I played sports mid 60's to mid 70.

Recall when it was super hot and ya sweat everything out? The solution back then, NO water cause you'll cramp. NO coach EVER gave out water

Edited by MarkyMannn
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

These gen Z'ers need to man up. The most adversity they've had in their adult lives is when they ran out of toilet paper at the store during COVID.

Back in my day, we didn't have concussions. It was called getting your bell rung and if you sat out for more than 1 play then you were a sissy. One kid on my team got the wind knocked out of him and the coach chewed him out and said if you are laying on his field it's because they need to call in the ambulance, otherwise man up and get back in the huddle. If we broke a bone they would tape it up with athletic tape, duct tape, scotch tape, whatever they had and you would be back out there the next series. Kids these days have no idea 

I know you are joking (hope you are joking?), but today's sports are lightyears ahead of yesterday's sports in terms of player safety - and player performance.

I remember back in the day, coaches would not let players drink water during practice to "toughen them up."  Now we know that staying hydrated improves performance substantially.

Players are also cognizant of long term health and performance.  That's why we see so many players go to the ground or going out of bounds before they get hit.  Getting injured (aside from being painful!) can lead to a shorter career, less career earnings, and missed games.  There are also long term consequences leading to poor health later in life.  Possibly even a shorter life.  While I get upset when players give themselves up early, or don't play after a seemingly minor injury, I get it.  I'd probably do the same thing if I was a pro athlete.

The game is still fun to watch and we get to see good players play over a longer career.  I'd call that a win-win.

• Like (+1) 1

I read that humans cannot survive for more than a few hours at 80 degrees and 100% humidity. Your body cannot properly regulate temperature with sweat in high humidity. And that's just if you are sitting there doing nothing.

The Dolphins game was not 100% humidity, but it was pretty high, and the temperature was in the 90's, maybe even higher down on the baking field. Just the difference between the Dolphins getting shade and the Bills not was enough to tip the scales heavily against the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

I am an old guy.. been watching football for as long as i can remember (Colts /.Giants 1958 , vaguely was 6).. my point.. all thru the years watching the NFL , an injury was more of a happenstance.. yesterday , it was surreal, as play after play.. we saw it.. i realize the obvious, bigger, different style, get all that.. is it simply the size of the players? And/ or technique ? 

"Innocent" or just uninformed?

• Eyeroll 1

Bigger, faster, stronger to start. 

But also, I think less time in the facility is a big part of it. Less time working daily with S&C. Getting stretched out, massaged, even just kept an eye on during workouts.

I’d be happy for owners to even halve padded/contact practices but get everybody in house full time on June 1. That’s a 5 month break for half the league. In a game that is trying to work on safety more practice is the only way to get guys playing with better technique consistently. WR will run better routes. DB’s will have better coverage. Players will actually develop rather than burn out. 

On 9/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, gobills404 said:

Concussions are a myth manufactured by the big sports helmet companies

I thought they were myths by "pay for diagnosis you want" doctors; same ones who were milking player health system for millions of dollars billing for tests they never did.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

I read that humans cannot survive for more than a few hours at 80 degrees and 100% humidity. Your body cannot properly regulate temperature with sweat in high humidity. And that's just if you are sitting there doing nothing.

The Dolphins game was not 100% humidity, but it was pretty high, and the temperature was in the 90's, maybe even higher down on the baking field. Just the difference between the Dolphins getting shade and the Bills not was enough to tip the scales heavily against the Bills.

Bills need to learn to tackle players on home team sideline and "need time" to get up allowing team to have a break standing around and supporting wounded player.

20 hours ago, without a drought said:

For the last couple years, everyone has been praising the Bills training staff. Now after the last few weeks, people want answers as to why their training and conditioning is subpar.

Poorly-informed hot takes are the new normal. Didn’t you get the memo? 😀

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:57 PM, KDIGGZ said:

I hope your joking. I’m new, but if not……

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:57 PM, KDIGGZ said:

…and back then the winter coats were of a sturdier quality as well! 🧐

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493brqs9lru4ntwl41y2ui

• Like (+1) 1

In that heat you get dehydrated quicker so your muscles are straining more and it just adds up to a bad time. Plus, just plain bad luck. In recent years the Bills have been remarkably healthy with very few injuries. Unfortunately this season they've been hit pretty hard but if it's gonna happen it's better to happen now than down the road. I think they'll be alright. 

And I know it's been talked about a lot but players shouldn't have to play in those kinds of conditions. I've always been more of a cooler weather person because for me, it's way easier to warm up then to cool down. Cold? Flip on the heat or grab a blanket or a hoodie. Baking on the surface of the sun? Disrobe, place junk in ice, sit in front of fan, still sweat. 

If the league cares about player health and safety as much as they say they do then perhaps south Florida teams need to be playing early season games at 4:30 or later when the sun is down. Or, any teams in hot weather climates wanting to build a new stadium are gonna end up required to put a retractable roof on it and then there'll be rules set by the league stating in what conditions the roof is allowed open. Players have straight dropped dead in practices when it's too hot. And to design your stadium like that and not allow much of anything on the opponent sidelines in terms of cooling off? Funkin' weak, man. Clearly Miami doesn't care about safety, I mean their QB whacked his head, stumbled, barfed and pooped his pants and they said oh his back was hurting. Weenies. 

God I hate the Fish. Early 2010s they complained that the last five or six games they had up here were all scheduled in late December. After that their visits to Buffalo for the next several seasons all happened in September or October. They're up here in week 15 this season. May the high that day be a grand total of 8. And they can freeze their gills. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.