Innocent Observation

dwight in philly

I am an old guy.. been watching football for as long as i can remember (Colts /.Giants 1958 , vaguely was 6).. my point.. all thru the years watching the NFL , an injury was more of a happenstance.. yesterday , it was surreal, as play after play.. we saw it.. i realize the obvious, bigger, different style, get all that.. is it simply the size of the players? And/ or technique ? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I reckon the weather factor compromised them, made them more susceptible.

Yeah, tired guys make mistakes and get hurt trying to recover from them.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of overtraining for some of them.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Yeah, tired guys make mistakes and get hurt trying to recover from them.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of overtraining for some of them.

Not too sure about overtraining, but the heat ‘exhaustion’ will probably lead to losing technique, which will then lead to a higher chance of getting injured.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

These gen Z'ers need to man up. The most adversity they've had in their adult lives is when they ran out of toilet paper at the store during COVID.

Back in my day, we didn't have concussions. It was called getting your bell rung and if you sat out for more than 1 play then you were a sissy. One kid on my team got the wind knocked out of him and the coach chewed him out and said if you are laying on his field it's because they need to call in the ambulance, otherwise man up and get back in the huddle. If we broke a bone they would tape it up with athletic tape, duct tape, scotch tape, whatever they had and you would be back out there the next series. Kids these days have no idea 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 20
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

These gen Z'ers need to man up. The most adversity they've had in their adult lives is when they ran out of toilet paper at the store during COVID.

Back in my day, we didn't have concussions. It was called getting your bell rung and if you sat out for more than 1 play then you were a sissy. One kid on my team got the wind knocked out of him and the coach chewed him out and said if you are laying on his field it's because they need to call in the ambulance, otherwise man up and get back in the huddle. If we broke a bone they would tape it up with athletic tape, duct tape, scotch tape, whatever they had and you would be back out there the next series. Kids these days have no idea 

It's just a flesh wound !

Have at you then !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

I am an old guy.. been watching football for as long as i can remember (Colts /.Giants 1958 , vaguely was 6).. my point.. all thru the years watching the NFL , an injury was more of a happenstance.. yesterday , it was surreal, as play after play.. we saw it.. i realize the obvious, bigger, different style, get all that.. is it simply the size of the players? And/ or technique ? 

Hey Dwight, the soft tissue injuries through three weeks around the league this season seem pretty bad.

A lot of teams are very banged up, not just our Bills, though we seem to be the poster child of injuries this year. The Chargers and Titans have been very injury prone too. We don't talk about the Titan injuries much, but they were in rough shape by game end with Buffalo. By the end of the Titans game Bills fans were thrilled and pointed out a big win, while Titan fans were noting their large amount of injuries. A week later Dolphin fans are thrilled with a win over Buffalo, while Bills fans point out the injuries.

I think the NFLPA felt they got a 'win' for their constituents by reducing training camp and pre-season games/ contact. I'm not sure that was such a victory.

The short week to prepare for an extreme heat/humidity situation in Miami did not help. We can look at trainers etc, but they had a short week to prepare. The product on the field yesterday was not a good look for the NFL. I don't say that as a Bills homer. Clearly Buffalo suffered worse from the elements coming from a cooler climate and off of a short week, but plenty of Dolphin players were struggling by game end too. The game got sloppy and attritional.

I think this last game is a statistical anomaly, we are seeing bad injuries around the league, but every year there are teams that suffer badly. We saw this last year with the Ravens and Giants too.

Anyone who follows statistics and large data sets is aware of the mean (average) and regression to the mean. In short, over enough data inputs for a relatively closed system, the results will almost always trend back to the average. Buffalo has been very lucky with injuries the past few years. The Bills are 'catching up' to the average injuries, but are doing it all at once, and in two or three units (DB/ OL/ WR).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

How many concussions did you have?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

You must have missed the Ravens season last year.

Their entire team seemed to get injured in the span of 3-4 games.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Concussion = 'Walk it off'

Compound fracture = "Oh that is serious, take a knee"

Ronnie Lott = cut it off, I don't need it.

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It's just a flesh wound !

Have at you then !

I've had worse

monty python scratch GIF

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

How many concussions did you have?

Gen X here, you aren't an official man without 2 or 3. One by being a dumb guy, 2 in football by 12th grade.

So 3 by the end of High School. Fortunately I am now too dumb to know when I have another.

Edited by RocCityRoller

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Hey Dwight, the soft tissue injuries through three weeks around the league this season seem pretty bad.

A lot of teams are very banged up, not just our Bills, though we seem to be the poster child of injuries this year. The Chargers and Titans have been very injury prone too. We don't talk about the Titan injuries much, but they were in rough shape by game end with Buffalo. By the end of the Titans game Bills fans were thrilled and pointed out a big win, while Titan fans were noting their large amount of injuries. A week later Dolphin fans are thrilled with a win over Buffalo, while Bills fans point out the injuries.

I think the NFLPA felt they got a 'win' for their constituents by reducing training camp and pre-season games/ contact. I'm not sure that was such a victory.

The short week to prepare for an extreme heat/humidity situation in Miami did not help. We can look at trainers etc, but they had a short week to prepare. The product on the field yesterday was not a good look for the NFL. I don't say that as a Bills homer. Clearly Buffalo suffered worse from the elements coming from a cooler climate and off of a short week, but plenty of Dolphin players were struggling by game end too. The game got sloppy and attritional.

I think this last game is a statistical anomaly, we are seeing bad injuries around the league, but every year there are teams that suffer badly. We saw this last year with the Ravens and Giants too.

Anyone who follows statistics and large data sets is aware of the mean (average) and regression to the mean. In short, over enough data inputs for a relatively closed system, the results will almost always trend back to the average. Buffalo has been very lucky with injuries the past few years. The Bills are 'catching up' to the average injuries, but are doing it all at once, and in two or three units (DB/ OL/ WR).

Thank you..makes lots of sense.. appreciate that observation/ input 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Don't forget about walking uphill to school... both ways! 😃

• Like (+1) 4

Mentioned this yesterday in the GameDay thread, but I work outside and those 90+ degree days are brutal. I remember a day this year back in June it was 92 degrees here in the roc. I thought I was gonna pass out. Didn't matter how much water I drank. Obviously I'm not a world class athlete and my work day is longer than a football game, but I can't imagine running and jumping and playing a physical game in that heat and humidity in Miami. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.