Who Do The Bills Sign At Cornerback?

With Dane Jackson out an unknown period of time, Benford with a broken hand, and Tre White still a few weeks from being eligible to play, it's clear that we need to make a signing at CB this week. We called up Ja'Marcus Ingram, who came into the game after Benford was injured, but he looked lost in zone coverage (as he did in the preseason). It's likely too early in the season to persue a trade, so we will need to look to free agents.

Here are a few of our options:

Kevin King:

King played well for the Packers when healthy, but he has had a number of injuries over his career. He has stated that he will take the 2022 season off in order to heal up, but if he is feeling ready to play, he could be convinced to play for a contender if the price is right. Kevin King is 6'3" and played mostly zone coverage in the Packers' scheme.

Joe Haden:

Haden retired from the NFL last week, but he may still be persuaded to play. He stated that he had interest in playing for the Bills and Von Miller was publicly lobbying for us to sign him. He may have lost a step at age 33, but he may have one more year left in him.

Richard Sherman:

This suggestion will likely get some backlash considering his drunk driving incident and his poor play with the Buccaneers. Regarding his play in 2021, I think that may have been due to the fact that he was put into the starting line-up 3 days after being signed without fully learning the defense or having practice time with the team. We're in desperate need at cornerback and Sherman desperately wants to end his career on a positive note and win another championship. He has a long track record of success in zone coverage and he's worth a look if there's mutual interest.

There are a lot of other free agent cornerbacks, so who do you want to bring in?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Allen2Diggs said:

With Dane Jackson out an unknown period of time, Benford with a broken hand, and Tre White still a few weeks from being eligible to play, it's clear that we need to make a signing at CB this week. We called up Ja'Marcus Ingram, who came into the game after Benford was injured, but he looked lost in zone coverage (as he did in the preseason). It's likely too early in the season to persue a trade, so we will need to look to free agents.

Here are a few of our options:

Kevin King:

King played well for the Packers when healthy, but he has had a number of injuries over his career. He has stated that he will take the 2022 season off in order to heal up, but if he is feeling ready to play, he could be convinced to play for a contender if the price is right. Kevin King is 6'3" and played mostly zone coverage in the Packers' scheme.

Joe Haden:

Haden retired from the NFL last week, but he may still be persuaded to play. He stated that he had interest in playing for the Bills and Von Miller was publicly lobbying for us to sign him. He may have lost a step at age 33, but he may have one more year left in him.

Richard Sherman:

This suggestion will likely get some backlash considering his drunk driving incident and his poor play with the Buccaneers. Regarding his play in 2021, I think that may have been due to the fact that he was put into the starting line-up 3 days after being signed without fully learning the defense or having practice time with the team. We're in desperate need at cornerback and Sherman desperately wants to end his career on a positive note and win another championship. He has a long track record of success in zone coverage and he's worth a look if there's mutual interest.

There are a lot of other free agent cornerbacks, so who do you want to bring in?

The Bills secondary is riddled with injuries. It just keeps getting worse. Also, the oline suffers more injury news. This is getting pretty bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

The Bills secondary is riddled with injuries. It just keeps getting worse. Also, the oline suffers more injury news. This is getting pretty bad. 

CB and Interior O-line depth were the two areas I was concerned with before the season. I never expected to be in this position heading into week 3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Richard Sherman:

The DUI is probably the least of their concerns from that rampage. Bringing him on would show a real lack of awareness. 

Nobody. Jackson will be back this week and Elam looked great. Tre is a few weeks away. Benford can play a few weeks with a cast. 

I'd go after a safety. Johnson looked terrible for a guy that "has been in the meeting room" for four years. He's not good enough.  Go get a big body to play SS and move Poyer back to FS. 

Long term I wonder if Benford is good enough to play safety. Elam is not relinquishing that starting spot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

CB and Interior O-line depth were the two areas I was concerned with before the season. I never expected to be in this position heading into week 3.

I don't think anyone did. It's really disheartening because this team is unbelievably good when healthy.shealthy. Still very good but the injuries already cost us one loss against the Dolphins. Balt maybe another one? 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Nobody. Jackson will be back this week and Elam looked great. Tre is a few weeks away. Benford can play a few weeks with a cast. 

I'd go after a safety. Johnson looked terrible for a guy that "has been in the meeting room" for four years. He's not good enough.  Go get a big body to play SS and move Poyer back to FS. 

Long term I wonder if Benford is good enough to play safety. Elam is not relinquishing that starting spot.

McD just said Benford is out a couple of weeks.  Surgery tomorrow.

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Jackson is one person I would not rush back.  Short term IR Benford before you get Jackson back in there and sign someone else

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Our CB depth is superb-  unfortunately, we lost our top 3 corners.  Luckily, we still have one that is talented, but raw.  Most teams would up s**** creek if they lost their top 3 corners. Correction, every team. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's Lamar Jackson week and then the pathetic Mitch Trubisky comes to town.     I think they can get thru that stretch even with Jamarcus Ingram.    They've yet to lose a game in the McD era because of their CB play.

Bigger concern is getting more big plays against the blitz on offense this week.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.