If You Had to Choose, Would You Rather Have #1 Seed or a Healthy Team Going Into the Playoffs?

st pete gogolak

To me, this is a layup.  I'm convinced that a relatively healthy Bills team is the best team in the league. Of course, having a #1 seed is nice but as long as this team is relatively healthy (Hyde already gone, maybe another starter at a position of depth, etc.), we'll do serious damage in the playoffs no matter what our seeding.  I guess it's another way of quoting Aaron Rogers - R - E - L - A - X.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

To me, this is a layup.  I'm convinced that a relatively healthy Bills team is the best team in the league. Of course, having a #1 seed is nice but as long as this team is relatively healthy (Hyde already gone, maybe another starter at a position of depth, etc.), we'll do serious damage in the playoffs no matter what our seeding.  I guess it's another way of quoting Aaron Rogers - R - E - L - A - X.

Though we have to MAKE the Play Offs. Too many more injuries and we many struggle to do that.

• Eyeroll 1

1 seed full stop. Means you need to win two games not three while guaranteeing homefield throughout.

In the past five years 1 seeds have hosted the conference title games every year until last year when TEN/GB messed up in the division. Additionally a 1 seed has went to the SB 3 of the past five years:

2122 CIN LAR both 4 seeds no 1

2021 KC 1 seed TB WC. GB 1 seed hosted NFC title game

1920 SF went to SB and hosted NFC title

1819 KC and NOLA hosted title games and we know how both of those ended #controversy

1718 NE PHI hosted and won conference title games

The 1 seed in football of any sport is probably the most important as it eliminates a game and lets teams rest more. The stats back 1 seeds at minimum getting to the conference title game itself.

So yea give me the 1 seed tomorrow.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Ahhh, yes. A ray of sunshine on this otherwise cloudy day....

Just living in reality Milton …

Who goes into the playoffs healthy? 

And the No1 seed seems unlikely to me as I suspect they will struggle the next month…

Doesn’t mean they still can’t compete for Championship  

• Like (+1) 1

To answer the original post, I think a healthy team is a higher priority.  As to the #1 seed, it is still within reach.  KC, LA Chargers, Baltimore, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc. all have a loss.  Sure, Miami is 3-0, but do you really think they'll win in Buffalo later in the season in sub 100 degree weather when the Bills will presumably have most of their roster available?  I do think the next 2 weeks will be tough if the Bills don't get a bunch of their guys back.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

1 seed full stop. Means you need to win two games not three while guaranteeing homefield throughout.

In the past five years 1 seeds have hosted the conference title games every year until last year when TEN/GB messed up in the division. Additionally a 1 seed has went to the SB 3 of the past five years:

2122 CIN LAR both 4 seeds no 1

2021 KC 1 seed TB WC. GB 1 seed hosted NFC title game

1920 SF went to SB and hosted NFC title

1819 KC and NOLA hosted title games and we know how both of those ended #controversy

1718 NE PHI hosted and won conference title games

The 1 seed in football of any sport is probably the most important as it eliminates a game and lets teams rest more. The stats back 1 seeds at minimum getting to the conference title game itself.

So yea give me the 1 seed tomorrow.

If your team isn’t good, the #1 see doesn’t mean much.  Just ask Tennessee or Green Bay

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just living in reality Milton …

Who goes into the playoffs healthy? 

And the No1 seed seems unlikely to me as I suspect they will struggle the next month…

Doesn’t mean they still can’t compete for Championship  

It wasn't a point at you or reality. It's just today's outlook on this board. It's abysmal. So many Debbie Downers. I understand what reality is...but it changed this week and it will likely change next week. 

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

It wasn't a point at you or reality. It's just today's outlook on this board. It's abysmal. So many Debbie Downers. I understand what reality is...but it changed this week and it will likely change next week. 

Well .. I know you haven’t been here 5 mins so I suspect you have seen it before on the board..

It was a tough loss (another one) and the injury news seems a little bleak so if some folks aren’t dancing a jig today then I can see where they are coming from ..

• Like (+1) 1

Like someone else said, neither particularly likely at this point, we just have to hope the Bills can play consistently enough to beat the teams we're supposed to beat.   They're going to have to clean up the mistakes or this is going to be a Season of Regret and we already have enough of those

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Legit depends on how big a difference in health we’re talking about. Those two weeks off for the #1 seed help heal a lot of bumps and bruises. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Neither will likely happen 

Lol, f you’re talking purely numbers, I agree. Only 2 teams get the #1 seed and no one is completely healthy at the end of the year. 

If you’re trolling and saying the team sucks and the trainers blow, you’re diluted. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.