Was Jaquan Johnson really that bad in his first career start?

Wayne Arnold

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Is this where we do the PFF gave my team a negative grade so we dismiss them entirely routine?

He ran a 4.70 at the Combine, so he looked like that on the field. 

Agree on Hamlin too, he's looked good when on the field, similar to Dane Jackson, fast enough. 

he's a downhill safety or box player who was asked to play against some speed .

But as part of a situational rotation  when more fully staffed ? He does quite well playing with play in front of him in shorter yardage.
4.7 is not going to turn his hips and run. it's just math.
I like the guy for what he brings

Edited by 3rdand12

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Is this where we do the PFF gave my team a negative grade so we dismiss them entirely routine?

He ran a 4.70 at the Combine, so he looked like that on the field. 

Agree on Hamlin too, he's looked good when on the field, similar to Dane Jackson, fast enough. 

That 4.7 speed is probably a fatal flaw in any hopes that Johnson could be a future starter.  Speed isn't everything , but there is a need for at least a minimal speed at safety.  I'm not sure what that minimum is, but I think it's probably lower than 4.7.

20 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

That 4.7 speed is probably a fatal flaw in any hopes that Johnson could be a future starter.  Speed isn't everything , but there is a need for at least a minimal speed at safety.  I'm not sure what that minimum is, but I think it's probably lower than 4.7.

It’s at safety it would be interesting to see what the 40 times are for starting safeties in the league

3 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Thank you. He had a pick and looked good that game. Was a step back this game but considering the context I’ll give him a pass. 

I have been a big Jaquan fan. I liked him in that draft and I think in his spot duty and start v Houston last year he has been good whenever he has stepped on an NFL field. However, I concede that I thought the same as some of the critics in this thread on Sunday. He looked small, slow and overmatched against Miami. I don't think it is fair to bury his NFL career based on that one game, but I did come out of it questioning whether actually career backup and core special teams player is likely his NFL lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been a big Jaquan fan. I liked him in that draft and I think in his spot duty and start v Houston last year he has been good whenever he has stepped on an NFL field. However, I concede that I thought the same as some of the critics in this thread on Sunday. He looked small, slow and overmatched against Miami. I don't think it is fair to bury his NFL career based on that one game, but I did come out of it questioning whether actually career backup and core special teams player is likely his NFL lot. 

Miami is tremendously fast - he definitely played a bit scared on a couple of deeper passes.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.