Was Jaquan Johnson really that bad in his first career start?

Wayne Arnold

The touchdown doesn't happen nor the 3rd and 22 conversion if Hyde is in the game rather than him.  He played a poor game but let's see how he does with Poyer back there instead of Hamlin.  Too much of a small sample size to say we need to replace him immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:46 PM, MiltonWaddams said:

Hot take- When Dane and Tre return, Benford slides to safety. Just a thought...but it has merit.

There was talk early on ,during camp,that Benford might eventually be better off at safety. He is getting valuable experience this year and a pleasant surprise for a 6th round pick. Could he or Johnson replace Poyer next year?

On 9/26/2022 at 2:45 PM, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think it’s much debate, if Miami had the ball more they certainly had the potential to put up big numbers. 
The defense largely held their own. The time of possession probably saved them from giving up more. 
I didn’t expect them to play at a high level but they did outplay my expectations for the game. 
Johnson wasn’t without flaws. He certainly looked like he’d be more effective in the box vs playing center field. He’s looking to lay the lumber that’s for sure 

Eh.....that's a bad take.

Miami scored one TD on a very short field and the other was set up by an uncharacteristically bad defensive call to rush 3 that set up Waddle for the long TD.

Otherwise they did nothing in a sport where possessions alternate.

Except throw a terrible would-be pick 6 that Milano dropped.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

John, who was the TD pass thrown at? Who was the 45 yard gain to Waddle thrown at? Who was the Edmonds red zone pass attempt thrown at? Every big play and scoring opp thrown at him plus others during the game.  Half of Tuas yardage was at him.  His line TD pass, his big play on 3rd and long,  red zone targets.  

You watched the game, you list me offall the good plays he made. I'll wait. 

He was thrown at a lot more often than that it’s waddle and hill Who are abusing everybody why is it so hard for you to understand the fact that they held Tyreek Hill down like they did he deserves credit for that as well

• Haha (+1) 1

The defense as a whole did not play bad at all given the circumstances. hill was held in check. Waddle was too except for one big play. Line needed to get to Tua more, but they still got some pressure on him. Miscues on offense/special teams (kicking) cost them far more than the defense.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:16 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

It's PFF so "grain of salt" alert.

Considering the D only gave up 21 points to an offense that looked great the week before, I'm a bit surprised.

Also, did Cam Lewis not play?

Damar Hamlin is really good. The play beforehand on 3rd and 22 he’s the guy who sacked Tua to make it 3rd and 22. We get the rest of the guys back in the secondary we will be just fine.

The TD he gave up was at worst broken up and likely picked if the starters were in, he clearly didn’t go for the ball which was disappointing.  That said in comparison to 2 of the best in the game it’s an unfair expectation.  If he continues to take bad angles, is slow to react and not look for the ball, he won’t be on the field long.  I give him a pass for his first game against one of the hardest receiving groups he’ll ever see.

• Agree 1

I keep hearing how Jaquan Johnson is ready to start, has been ready to start, yet Damar Hamlin looked like that dude and Johnson seemed a step slow out there.  

Just one game, and I'm sure he'll look better with Poyer out there with him, but Elam & Hamlin flashed.  Jaquan Johnson, not so much. 

• Like (+1) 2

Is this where we do the PFF gave my team a negative grade so we dismiss them entirely routine?

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I keep hearing how Jaquan Johnson is ready to start, has been ready to start, yet Damar Hamlin looked like that dude and Johnson seemed a step slow out there.  

Just one game, and I'm sure he'll look better with Poyer out there with him, but Elam & Hamlin flashed.  Jaquan Johnson, not so much. 

He ran a 4.70 at the Combine, so he looked like that on the field. 

Agree on Hamlin too, he's looked good when on the field, similar to Dane Jackson, fast enough. 

On 9/26/2022 at 2:16 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

Considering the D only gave up 21 points to an offense that looked great the week before, I'm a bit surprised.

I think Cam Lewis played on ST and they didnt want him playing both because of the heat.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:45 PM, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think it’s much debate, if Miami had the ball more they certainly had the potential to put up big numbers. 
The defense largely held their own. The time of possession probably saved them from giving up more. 
I didn’t expect them to play at a high level but they did outplay my expectations for the game. 
Johnson wasn’t without flaws. He certainly looked like he’d be more effective in the box vs playing center field. He’s looking to lay the lumber that’s for sure 

People keep looking at time of possession to say Miami didnt have the ball enough.  Its not true.  Miami had 8 drives and punted on 5 of them.  Buffalo had 9 drives and two of those were on short clocks (end of half/end of game.)  If Miami played good on offense then Buffalo would have had the ball less.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2022 at 2:59 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Couple of notes...I wouldn't judge the grade of the individual players based on the final score.  Bills ran 93 offensive plays compared to their 39.  They still got 21 points to our 19. The lower stats and score by Miami was a function of our offense being on the field at a better than 2 to 1 advantage.  

So the fact Tua and Hill didn't have big stat total days, isn't reflective on how well the D played or how bad the Miami offense played.  We just kept their offense off the field.  

That being said, I didn't notice Johnson being so bad as to warrant a 26.7 grade, but also, there was a lot going on and a lot ot pay attention to this game with all the injuries.  So maybe a deeper look at the All22 will show he struggled some.  But I didn't particuarly notice anything that made me look at him as a total liability this game as this score suggests.  

Again, Miami had the ball 8 times to our 9 and they punted on 5 of those.  

On 9/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I feel he was late on TD and got burned by Waddle.

He was out of position on the Cracraft td and he emphasized the sideline too much on Waddle's double move. But Leslie butchered that entire play by rushing 3.  We need Poyer back soon. Jaquan's strength is tackling.  It will never be coverage.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

The defense gave up 21 points, and 7 was when their offense had to go 10 yards. We had both of our starting safety's out as well as our two best CB's. Going up against Tyreek and Waddle.  They weren't perfect but they weren't terrible either. Overall it was a pretty solid performance by all those young guys.

Hamlin needs either bigger shoulder pads or to eat more chicken wings, he looks like a strong wind could carry him away.

We didn't have Oliver either.

I don't know why people keep saying the Dolphins "barely had the ball" and that was the only reason for their low stats.

They had the ball 8 times.  We had the ball 9 times, and two of ours were stopped by the clock expiring.

Out of those 8 possessions, the Dolphins had 4 punts and 1 safety.

On those five drives, they accumulated a grand total of 63 yards.

The first touchdown was a gift.  They needed to go exactly 6 yards to score, after the strip-sack.

The third touchdown was after a blown coverage, where we had them on a 3rd-22.

So in all, the defense gave up one long/sustained drive all day.  

On 9/26/2022 at 1:16 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

PFF numerical rankings are a mystery to me.  Johnson played ok but he made a few huge and costly mistakes which are likely reflected in his low score.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.