Was Jaquan Johnson really that bad in his first career start?

Wayne Arnold

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The way I look at it is, he did enough for us to win the game.  We just didn’t.  

Bills did more than enough on D that they should have won by multiple scores. I said prior to the game the Dolphins wouldn't get to more than 24 points.  I was right.  I also said the Bills would score much more than that and I was wrong...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's PFF so "grain of salt" alert.

Considering the D only gave up 21 points to an offense that looked great the week before, I'm a bit surprised.

Also, did Cam Lewis not play?

Singular game grades really need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially where covering Hill and Waddle are concerned. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He was toasted by Waddle on the 3rd and 22 completion. 

You don’t realize how much Poyer and Hyde are missed until you have a couple of JAGS out there. 

Hyde and Poyer are a top tandem no doubt. But it’s not like over the years Buffalo hasn’t still given up crazy 3rd downs by playing soft coverages with a fully healthy secondary. The odds are better of course Poyer or Hyde make a play but they’ve given up their fair share as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

If we can get Poyer and Dane back this week, I'd start feeling a lot better. Nice to see Elam and Hamlin got good grades.

Overall, aside of course from the 3rd and 22, the defense really did a nice job yesterday.

Getting at least Poyer back will be huge... And I don't blame the D as much as the call on the 3 and 22. We only rushed 3 and covered underneath leaving the 2 safeties all alone deep. 

Should have blitzed with quarters coverage over the top and not given Tua enough time to throw deep. Force him to dump off underneath. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He was toasted by Waddle on the 3rd and 22 completion. 

You don’t realize how much Poyer and Hyde are missed until you have a couple of JAGS out there. 

Anybody would have been toasted when they call a defensive front that gave Tua all day to throw. He could have had a glass of iced tea. It was 4 against 6-7 all day in that heat and on the most important play of the game, they decide not to dial up some pressure to get an errant/quick/off timing throw and prevent a 22...or 45 yd. pass.

Nope, that kind of quick (albeit it common sense) decision in critical situations is just not in the McFrazier wheelhouse.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, billsfan1959 said:

His inexperience really showed on the Waddle reception and the TD. However, he wasn't ready to see the field and would never have come close to playing had it not been for extraordinary circumstances. I am certainly not going to judge him too harshly after one game and under those circumstances.

He's been in the team for 4 years now, he's about to turn 27 years old, at what point is it no longer too soon???

He looked like a special teamer playing saftey...  Small, slow, behind the play every time. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

19 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

He's been in the team for 4 years now, he's about to turn 27 years old, at what point is it no longer too soon???

He looked like a special teamer playing saftey...  Small, slow, behind the play every time. 

This is simply not true if it was true tua been throwing to that area you’re making that up

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 9/27/2022 at 3:16 AM, Wayne Arnold said:

It's PFF so "grain of salt" alert.

Considering the D only gave up 21 points to an offense that looked great the week before, I'm a bit surprised.

Also, did Cam Lewis not play?

I think he had two or three genuinely bad plays, but overall the secondary was surprisingly solid. But a few bad plays that turned into big plays can - I would think - mess up a grade pretty good.

For who was playing, I was really happy with the pass defense overall. But those two plays .... yikes.

Still, the guy has played 265 career defensive snaps. He needs playing time but shows every sign of being able to handle it and improve as he gets more snaps.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think he had two or three genuinely bad plays, but overall the secondary was surprisingly solid. But a few bad plays that turned into big plays can - I would think - mess up a grade pretty good.

For who was playing, I was really happy with the pass defense overall. But those two plays .... yikes.

Our CB play has been great, our LBers have been phenomenal in coverage also which helped. 

Believe it or not, Taron Johnson has the worst passing stats of anyone so far.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think it’s much debate, if Miami had the ball more they certainly had the potential to put up big numbers. 
The defense largely held their own. The time of possession probably saved them from giving up more. 
I didn’t expect them to play at a high level but they did outplay my expectations for the game. 
Johnson wasn’t without flaws. He certainly looked like he’d be more effective in the box vs playing center field. He’s looking to lay the lumber that’s for sure 

The Bills defense forced Miami to punt 5 times out of 8 drives and gave up two long TD drives and another TD on a turnover inside the 10. Considering that the Bills were out 5-6 starters on defense along with additional role/depth players I consider that to be a decent day. If you exclude the drive that started inside the 10 on an offensive turnover the Bills held Miami to 5 punts on 7 drives or about a 29% TD give-up rate by the defense. 

The league average of drives that end in TD's is about 26% however the percentage of drives that end in a score (field goal or TD) is 41%. So you can parse it out any which way but I would say the defense delivered an average outcome against an offense that is most likely an above-average NFL offense. Add in the circumstances and it is much more impressive. 

You can lawyer the numbers any way you want but to the eye test, the defense played well enough to win. Had the offense not turned the ball over deep in their own territory the game could have easily been a 17 or less point affair by the defense. 

As far as Johnson I think he was subpar but he is being integrated into the defense with players he never played with consistently before. I think if you get Poyer next to him and settle him down with more snaps things will be fine for him long term even if there are some sort term growing pains. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not very much art I suggest you watch the game again

John, who was the TD pass thrown at? Who was the 45 yard gain to Waddle thrown at? Who was the Edmonds red zone pass attempt thrown at? Every big play and scoring opp thrown at him plus others during the game.  Half of Tuas yardage was at him.  His line TD pass, his big play on 3rd and long,  red zone targets.  

You watched the game, you list me offall the good plays he made. I'll wait. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.