Was Jaquan Johnson really that bad in his first career start?

Wayne Arnold

Not sure how to quantify what we saw in such a weird game where the Miami O was rarely on the field. 

What I do think, is that talent is talent.. and talent in this system shines through.  

For all the talk of Elam/Benford, and Benford is good.. Elam is that guy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

His inexperience really showed on the Waddle reception and the TD. However, he wasn't ready to see the field and would never have come close to playing had it not been for extraordinary circumstances. I am certainly not going to judge him too harshly after one game and under those circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t think it’s much debate, if Miami had the ball more they certainly had the potential to put up big numbers. 
The defense largely held their own. The time of possession probably saved them from giving up more. 
I didn’t expect them to play at a high level but they did outplay my expectations for the game. 
Johnson wasn’t without flaws. He certainly looked like he’d be more effective in the box vs playing center field. He’s looking to lay the lumber that’s for sure 

If we can get Poyer and Dane back this week, I'd start feeling a lot better. Nice to see Elam and Hamlin got good grades.

Overall, aside of course from the 3rd and 22, the defense really did a nice job yesterday.

He had mistakes (should be expected in his first start) but I actually thought he was pretty good.  I don't fault him at all for the penalty he got, not really sure what else he was supposed to do.  Was late on the bomb to Waddle, but I don't think he played as bad as his grade was

And that was against Tua. I know he's having a good year but he's probably one of the worst QB's on the schedule. We need to get healthy quick before we play a team that can actually throw. Baltimore, KC, GB is the meat of our schedule coming up

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Dislike 1

42 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's PFF so "grain of salt" alert.

Considering the D only gave up 21 points to an offense that looked great the week before, I'm a bit surprised.

Also, did Cam Lewis not play?

Couple of notes...I wouldn't judge the grade of the individual players based on the final score.  Bills ran 93 offensive plays compared to their 39.  They still got 21 points to our 19. The lower stats and score by Miami was a function of our offense being on the field at a better than 2 to 1 advantage.  

So the fact Tua and Hill didn't have big stat total days, isn't reflective on how well the D played or how bad the Miami offense played.  We just kept their offense off the field.  

That being said, I didn't notice Johnson being so bad as to warrant a 26.7 grade, but also, there was a lot going on and a lot ot pay attention to this game with all the injuries.  So maybe a deeper look at the All22 will show he struggled some.  But I didn't particuarly notice anything that made me look at him as a total liability this game as this score suggests.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

56 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

His inexperience really showed on the Waddle reception and the TD. However, he wasn't ready to see the field and would never have come close to playing had it not been for extraordinary circumstances. I am certainly not going to judge him too harshly after one game and under those circumstances.

It’s tough to say he’s not ready to see the field… He’s been in the league four years

If he’s not ready to see the field now he’s not an NFL player

What he did have to do was play defense with a bunch of guys he’s never played with before… 2nd 3rd stringers in the secondary 

which makes passing zone coverages much harder

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think it’s much debate, if Miami had the ball more they certainly had the potential to put up big numbers. 
The defense largely held their own. The time of possession probably saved them from giving up more. 
I didn’t expect them to play at a high level but they did outplay my expectations for the game. 
Johnson wasn’t without flaws. He certainly looked like he’d be more effective in the box vs playing center field. He’s looking to lay the lumber that’s for sure 

Part of the reason Miami didn't have the ball more is they went 3 and out 3 times in the 2nd half and punted 5 times.

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Hot take- When Dane and Tre return, Benford slides to safety. Just a thought...but it has merit.

No. Can we just stop with this silliness already?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.