Time for Beane to "break glass in case of emergency"?

zow2

Once again, everybody needs to look at the schedule and see how easily a 3-3 start (say) can turn into a 13-4 season.  

Obviously I have no objection to signing a DB or two off somebody's PS or off the street.  That makes sense.  But mainly we just need to sit tight, get through the next stretch of games -- nobody we sign today is going to help us against Baltimore -- and steamroll the league when we get out of the bye with our nicked-up guys back to full HP.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

OL rarely becomes available.  Probably not going to have a chance to address that in season.   Also, we’re currently fine there (imo).  Wish they run blocked better, but they’re a solid offensive line with decent vet depth. 

DT & CB are short term injuries.  Knock on wood, we get to a point after the bye where our 4 man DT rotation finally sees the field together and Tre White / Kaiir Elam are backed up by Dane Jackson & a healed up Christian Benford. 

Safety & WR is where I’d be looking.  If it’s me, and we can make one move, I’m going full court press on Odell Beckham.  He should be affordable under the cap we have left and we don’t need to trade away picks for him.   

Love the potential of Gabe Davis… don’t trust him as WR2 for a full season right now.  We’ve played three games so far.  He’s missed one, played hobbled in another and was healthy for exactly one game.. the opener. 

Not against ODB.

But he isn't expected to return until at least Thanksgiving, and I would be surprised if he signs with anyone until then.

• Agree 1

So our OT, Doyle tore his ACL yesterday, CB, Benford needs hand surgery, Bates is in concussion protocol and WR Kumerow has a high ankle sprain that could mess up a good chunk of his season.  

I’ll quote Stevie Johnson to the football gods….”why you do me like this?!?

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

We lost a 2 point game in week 3 (after piling up a +55 point differential against 2 playoff teams, btw) with an injury ravaged roster where we still managed to dominate yardage and TOP.  We clearly need to BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!! SIGN SEAN PAYTON, OBJ AND TRADE FOR CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY OR WE ARE DOOMED I TELL YA!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

It's about having competent blockers in front of your multi-year quarter billion dollar franchise star. Right now we have a Bugatti W16 engine behind a Ford Focus offensive line. It is not sustainable.

The Bills have not invested properly in the OL, nor have they figured out an effective run game in 5 years. That is a problem.

Even the Packers have realized they need a complimentary run game to get the most out of Rodgers. That is how they won in week 1.

As amazing as the W16 is, you cant run it at maximum RPMs all the time, or pair it to a crap transmission.  Allen throwing 50-60 times a game behind a leaky OL and no run game is a recipe for disaster. Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Not that I am suggesting who they should “sign/don’t sign”, but don’t the cap dollars of Hyde’s free up once he is placed on IR?

No.  Think about it this way.  Where would the Bills get $16M when Tre comes back?

The player goes to IR.  All vets get the total cap hit and they need to be replaced.

It costs extra money when players get hurt.

14 hours ago, zow2 said:

So our OT, Doyle tore his ACL yesterday, CB, Benford needs hand surgery, Bates is in concussion protocol and WR Kumerow has a high ankle sprain that could mess up a good chunk of his season.  

I’ll quote Stevie Johnson to the football gods….”why you do me like this?!?

Save yourself money and hire away Miami's trainer. Then Bates is out of concussion protocol at least.

17 hours ago, zow2 said:

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

Bills have no cap space for this. 

18 hours ago, zow2 said:

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

I agree we need to make a Rams type move and make a trade near the deadline for a true #1 RB . I’m hoping Giants keep losing now until then and Barkley could be had for a 2nd rd pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, zow2 said:

In general, I agree. 

Marino taught us all, you better win when you're there, because there is no guarantee you'll ever get back. 

I don't think the Bills squandered 2020, the Chiefs were better, but 2021 was definitely an opportunity to be Super Bowl Champions, because I believe we beat Cincinnati in Buffalo. 

Colin raises a good point on Allen and his usage. He's taking a lot of shots. So at 26, he's superhuman. But I do agree, without management, he could age significantly. 

Additionally, this defense has been intact for several years now, and the Seahawks have taught us, it's hard to keep a defense together past 4-5 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, bmur66 said:

The Bills are fine. Even though they lost I don't think there is another team in the NFL that could have faced all the adversity and done what they did yesterday.

Right? I mean everything went wrong and they gave up 200 yards on defense and had 500 yards on offense. They lost due to the heat.

They were an injury in the secondary from Case Keenum playing safety and they were a few seconds away from spiking the ball for a game winning kick. I'm not worried 

18 hours ago, Success said:

It wouldn't make sense to trade for anyone in the secondary.  Tre should be back soon, it looked like Jackson might have a short time out (at least based on reports last week), Poyer should be back.  We're deep there.

Tre isn't even practicing yet, nor is he cleared to practice I do not believe.

You are looking at least another month before White is back, IMO. 

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Who do you suggest we get?  The Bills have about $2 million dollars in cap space, and are way up against it next year.  

This. I think we will be okay next season, but we can’t be frivolous and we are tapped out now. There is a little space available in Allen’s salary (not much) but that is literally the only place left to add any space this season - other than cutting/trading some players. Other than moves close to minimum salary additions we have what we have. 

17 hours ago, bmur66 said:

The Bills are fine. Even though they lost I don't think there is another team in the NFL that could have faced all the adversity and done what they did yesterday.

I can think of about 15 Patriots teams that could and did.

The Bills are stepping up in class with this schedule this season...........this is usually the way it is EVERY YEAR for teams that are SB contenders...........and there are going to be years where you have a lot of injuries.

It merely underscores how bad blowing the ridiculously easy schedule and good health of last season was.    To borrow a take from another sport.........the Bills made withdrawals from the bank of goodwill last year with their underachieving...........time to make some deposits and win some games where there is some adversity. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Tre isn't even practicing yet, nor is he cleared to practice I do not believe.

You are looking at least another month before White is back, IMO. 

He can't practice yet. Them's the rules. He can only come off PUP after week 4, and only at that point do the rules permit him to practice. If he doesn't come off PUP immediately and start practising immediately then the Bills have not been honest with us about his process. You cannot be "on schedule" from a standard ACL tear these days and after 10 months not be in a position to even practise. 

It isn't the biggest thing in the world but their approach to information around injuries is starting to irritate me. Calling Jordan Phillips "day to day" last week was just an insult to our intelligence. He had clearly suffered a hamstring injury. I'd be surprised if he plays this week either. Just tell us who is day to day and who is week to week. Before anyone says they are trying to keep opponents guessing, come one.... teams can read injury reports... there is no chance in hell anyone in Miami believed Phillips was playing. 

I get not wanting to commit to definitive timelines. But at the moment I feel like we could watch a player break a leg on the field and still hear McDermott call him "day to day" the next morning. Grinds my gears a bit. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He can't practice yet. Them's the rules. He can only come off PUP after week 4, and only at that point do the rules permit him to practice. If he doesn't come off PUP immediately and start practising immediately then the Bills have not been honest with us about his process. You cannot be "on schedule" from a standard ACL tear these days and after 10 months not be in a position to even practise. 

It isn't the biggest thing in the world but their approach to information around injuries is starting to irritate me. Calling Jordan Phillips "day to day" last week was just an insult to our intelligence. He had clearly suffered a hamstring injury. I'd be surprised if he plays this week either. Just tell us who is day to day and who is week to week. Before anyone says they are trying to keep opponents guessing, come one.... teams can read injury reports... there is no chance in hell anyone in Miami believed Phillips was playing. 

I get not wanting to commit to definitive timelines. But at the moment I feel like we could watch a player break a leg on the field and still hear McDermott call him "day to day" the next morning. Grinds my gears a bit. 

The Bills brining in Xavier Rhodes for a visit tells me a little something, IMO. 

If I'm looking at timeline I'm looking at JK Dobbins who missed a year +.

Edited by CountDorkula

15 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Bills brining in Xavier Rhodes for a visit tells me a little something, IMO. 

If I'm looking at timeline I'm looking at JK Dobbins who missed a year +.

But Dobbins also injured the LCL it wasn't a "standard" ACL tear (to the extent that there is such a thing). We were told White's was a standard ACL with no damage to other ligaments. If he cannot come off PUP and start practising immediately in week 4 then he is at least a month behind what you would expect for a standard ACL tear these days. Of course no two injuries are ever identical but the Bills spent the whole summer saying "on schedule" and it feels like he is slightly behind schedule to me. I suspect there was a min-setback somewhere and they didn't want to talk about it. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. 

It's been one of McDermott's mannerisms since his hiring. 

As you know, he gives generic, vanilla answers to every question, and most of the time, the Buffalo media asks him about his feelings every game, not harder open ended questions. 

Nobody in the room asks, what was the team trying to establish on the 2nd drive of the game with a run to Moss, run to Moss? 

Nobody says, Sean, why not run it 3x straight on 2nd-Goal from 1 with under 2 minutes left. 

It's all, "what does it say about this team that they hung in there despite the injuries?" so it tee's McDermott up for a snow cone answer. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.