Time for Beane to "break glass in case of emergency"?

zow2

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 5

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

People like to say, well we have Josh, the Bills Super Bowl window will be open for the next 5-7 years.  Ummm, maybe not?  There's probably a lot more examples of football team's who look great and then for whatever reason never get over the hump.

I don't like mortgaging future assets but maybe this is the year Beane has to make some in-season trades to help get a Super Bowl ready team solidified.  The injuries in the secondary and lack of run support to take pressure off of Allen are gonna be a thing.  

No...not happening.

The Bills D allowed 212 yards to a team that just put up 500 something yards the week before.  Why would they think they need to go get someone?

I am not sure how much you understand about football but they are running a different run blocking scheme under Dorsey and Kromer than they did under Daboll which features a lot of zone blocking.  This is going to take time to adjust to and for the line to understand how to maximize their effectiveness at it. Probably will not see them at their best in this regard until after midseason.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Man, 1 loss in September and it's already doomsday. Hopefully the exhaustion stuff can be rectified quickly.

And worst case scenario? 2-2, and maybe you start getting those guys back (and Tre).

It's a long season, we're so focused on HFA but it can be done on the road too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

It’s easy to say he has to make moves, without listing any moves he has real possibilities of making. You can’t take on any salary really.. So you’re needing players basically on their rookie deals. 
Who is available? Not in fantasy land but in actual reality. There’s not many teams looking to unload players and some of the lesser talented teams expected to be terrible are winning games. This isn’t MLB where there’s so many sellers by the deadline. Or the NBA where you can just match up salaries to make things work. 

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Run support?  In the off-season, he signed(and then cut) a TE known as a good blocker, drafted a RB in the 2nd round, and once again went dumpster diving to try and improve the OL. If that was the attempt in the off-season, I am not sure what you expect in-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No...not happening.

The Bills D allowed 212 yards to a team that just put up 500 something yards the week before.  Why would they think they need to go get someone?

I am not sure how much you understand about football but they are running a different run blocking scheme under Dorsey and Kromer than they did under Daboll which features a lot of zone blocking.  This is going to take time to adjust to and for the line to understand how to maximize their effectiveness at it. Probably will not see them at their best in this regard until after midseason.

In light of Benford's injury, we are very thin at corner until Tre gets back.  I would expect them to perhaps sign more DBs to their practice squad for the time being, but no more than that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

In light of Benford's injury, we are very thin at corner until Tre gets back.  I would expect them to perhaps sign more DBs to their practice squad for the time being, but no more than that.

Agreed...they will have to make some PS moves. I would bet the Bills brass feels regardless of the D maybe allowing an extra few points a game, the offense will just win enough games on it's own so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Big Turk

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

How are you going to PAY any reinforcements?

9 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Man, 1 loss in September and it's already doomsday. Hopefully the exhaustion stuff can be rectified quickly.

And worst case scenario? 2-2, and maybe you start getting those guys back (and Tre).

It's a long season, we're so focused on HFA but it can be done on the road too.

It can be.  We’re 0-3 on the road.  3-0 at home.  

Bills need to be locked in on getting the one seed.  

This disastrous injury situation occurring in a four game stretch of Miami, Baltimore, KC before the bye is not ideal… and quite literally the worst time to happen with Tre still out as well.  

We really just need to get people back.  The only FA acquisition I have my eyes on is Beckham.  

Davis is really good.  He’s also played 1 health game out of 3 in his first year as WR2.   Bills could clearly use another legit outside WR. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This disastrous injury situation occurring in a four game stretch of Miami, Baltimore, KC before the bye is not ideal… and quite literally the worst time to happen with Tre still out as well. 

Maybe it's time to go watch professional chess or something. Yeah, injuries.

Aside from the absolutely worst case scenario (major JA17 injury), I don't think the situation will be worse than it was yesterday. Benford was out and they still should have won with a pair of rocket WR's facing them.

Could Lamar go off? For sure. Is Mahomes difficult? Yeah. But you still have a chance as long as QB1 is active. It's quite likely that the only reason Miami won was because it was 100+°F out there & nothing works quite as well for you (skeletal, mental, pulmonary, etc) when you aren't conditioned to that type of climate. There may be a dozen moments in that game that all go wrong for Buffalo because of that.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Maybe it's time to go watch professional chess or something. Yeah, injuries.

Aside from the absolutely worst case scenario (major JA17 injury), I don't think the situation will be worse than it was yesterday. Benford was out and they still should have won with a pair of rocket WR's facing them.

Could Lamar go off? For sure. Is Mahomes difficult? Yeah. But you still have a chance as long as QB1 is active. It's quite likely that the only reason Miami won was because it was 100+°F out there & nothing works quite as well for you (skeletal, mental, pulmonary, etc) when you aren't conditioned to that type of climate. There may be a dozen moments in that game that all go wrong for Buffalo because of that.

Ultra-aggressive response when I’m saying “don’t break glass” and wait out the injuries. 

Look at our schedule.  This is the toughest part of it.  It’s cake, relatively speaking, after the bye week/Green Bay.  

No sense in making a panic move for short term injuries (Hyde aside)

They could absolutely use another outside WR though.. as long as that’s a cheap/non-trade addition in Odell.   Can’t just hope Davis stays healthy all year when he hasn’t shown he can.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.