Would Bills Have Been Better Off with a Punt Instead of a Safety at End of Game?

st pete gogolak

If the Miami punter (who had an absolutely outstanding game by the way) had gotten the punt off from his end zone, I'm guessing that the Bills would have had the ball around the Miami 40 - 45 yard line with a little over a minute left, no timeouts and still needing a touchdown.  Would that have been better or worse than the safety?  I think it's probably a coin flip.  If a safety was the smarter play, Miami should have taken a safety on purpose.  Anyone have the analytics?

• Like (+1) 1

No because we couldn’t even get in field goal range to win the game. So I don’t see us driving 50 yards to get a td. And that’s if he only punted 50 yards, that one punt he had in the early part of the game was about 65 yards I believe. What hurt on that last drive was diggs dropping that first pass that would of put us at the 40. With plenty of time left 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

If the Miami punter (who had an absolutely outstanding game by the way) had gotten the punt off from his end zone, I'm guessing that the Bills would have had the ball around the Miami 40 - 45 yard line with a little over a minute left, no timeouts and still needing a touchdown.  Would that have been better or worse than the safety?  I think it's probably a coin flip.  If a safety was the smarter play, Miami should have taken a safety on purpose.  Anyone have the analytics?

It's definitely debatable. My opinion is that it worked out in our favor based on the way the bills were moving the ball up and down the field into the red zone territory, without being able to come away with points. I think it's easier to get into field goal range than to punch it into the end zone. 

• Agree 1

It only takes one play.. one missed coverage assignment. 
They did plenty to win the game. 
They did plenty to lose the game. 
Allen threw 5-6 balls that probably should have been intercepted. He could have just as easily been picked trying to force one in the end zone to win the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

I think so...Bills would have needed a TD starting from around midfield or maybe even in Dolphin territory because their punter would have had to rush to get a punt off due to being backed up against their own endzone and not having the normal distance.

Crowder had some good returns and could have even given them getter position.

IMO, starting at midfield needing 7 is better than starting at your own 25 when the punter has no pressure and can boom the ball needing 3.  Allen would have had multiple shots from the endzone once they got around the 25.

Depends on if you thought they would score a TD which they couldn't in four plays earlier. In theory going from being down 4 with the ball at midfieldish to 2 needing just a FG to win but ball at 20 would lean big time towards the FG. But I can understand the otherside logic also.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Ken Dorsey learned an awful lot in plays that closed the 1st and 2nd halves.

There's a good reason teams run outs on the sidelines with little time left. He got cute and he forgot in his cozy little coaches box that his players were completely spent.

It wasn't his best day, and he knew it (as documented by the footage).

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Allen threw 5-6 balls that probably should have been intercepted. He could have just as easily been picked trying to force one in the end zone to win the game. 

And Milano had a pick 6 thrown right to him too...I mean defensive players play defense for a reason usually...

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.  

To get in FG range, we had time for one middle of the field pass and then had to work the sidelines. 

To get a TD, we had to go a similar distance, but had time for one middle of the field pass (get to around the 30) and then we can work sideline or take end zone shots. 

With the OL issues we were having, Allen didn’t have time to sit back and let quick sideline routes develop with the blitzes.. it was that bad given exhaustion and injuries.  If they want to blitz and let Allen break contain with the ability to throw to any part of the end zone, I’d take my chances there. 

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

All true.

I  consider this like the Pats Wind game last year, both as far as I am concerned you can "throw away".  Two losses while the Bills were the better team.  Both dictated by weather, under normal conditions, bill win both games.  Good thing is we learned from them and i hope we approach similar situations differently.  Also Chargers Chiefs lost so how much did we really lose?

• Like (+1) 1

We need a rule change on safeties. Modern NFL punters will easily get 60 yards in the air on a free kick with lots of hang time, so little opportunity for return. Which pins the receiving time back inside their own 30 or deeper. There’s too many situations (not Sunday) in which “taking the safety” is the better strategy. Give the team awarded the safety the ball on their own 40 or 45 and the equation changes, making it a better/fairer game. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

We need a rule change on safeties. Modern NFL punters will easily get 60 yards in the air on a free kick with lots of hang time, so little opportunity for return. Which pins the receiving time back inside their own 30 or deeper. There’s too many situations (not Sunday) in which “taking the safety” is the better strategy. Give the team awarded the safety the ball on their own 40 or 45 and the equation changes, making it a better/fairer game. 

Come on.

We had the over time rules changes last year.  But now since they had a great punt you want suddenly to change that rule?  

Won't happen.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thats absurd. We need to stop being cry babies blaming losses on rules that have been in existence forever.

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Thats absurd. We need to stop being cry babies blaming losses on rules that have been in existence forever.

Why not? We change rules all the time when the existing rule promotes gamesmanship that allows one side (offense or defense) a better chance to win by avoiding actual competitive plays on the field. This is why the NFL is still the king of American sports. 
Nobody’s blaming the loss on the rules. In fact, Miami obviously (and correctly) rejected the strategy of “take the safety.” I’m just saying that there are some games in which that is sound strategy. And boring strategy for the fans who want a real competitive ending to a close game. You can equate this to a rule change that disincentivizes endless end of game fouling in the NBA - that too is sometimes an effective strategy that kills the chance for an exciting finish. 

21 minutes ago, Success said:

I was actually kind of disappointed that the punt went that way.  I doubt he would have kicked it past the 35 - we would have had a better shot for a TD in that scenario, imo.

I was just disappointed that the ball didn't get permanently lodged in his blocker's backside.  That would have really been something.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.