Jump to content

Cowherd killing Bills coaching in his monologue


zow2
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

In a nutshell,  

Bills have a defensive coach. Allen is being used like Cam in Carolina.

6 years in, No ability to run the ball unless it’s Allen.  

No ability to create offense outside of Allen.

This can’t last with Allen. He will age out overnight down the road like Cam or Big Ben.

Great knockout punch but Only the Texans are as bad as Buffalo in close games since beginning of last year.

Not a fluke, happens because QB is exhausted and gets sloppy at the end from being overused.

 

 

I agree with most of that except the Big Ben reference.  Big Ben had one helluva NFL career IMO and will be in the HOF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

 

Big Ben rarely had a team that couldn't run the ball effectively and he was pretty washed for his last 3 or so years.  

Ben played 18 seasons: In 8 of those seasons the Steelers were in the top 15 in the league in rushing, 10 of those seasons they were not.   When you look at his average wins in the seasons where the Steelers were in top half of the league, vs where they were in the bottom half, the average wins are almost identical.  To say he "rarely" had an ineffective run game is inaccurate.    If you actually look at the stats, he had an average or below average run game for over half his career. 

 

The mistake we make when looking back at Ben's career is we tend to recall the early Super Bowl appearances where he was green, and they won by running the ball, that was 2006.  What people fail to remember is the period from 2014-2018 where they were airing the ball out, averaging over 300 passing yards a game and still winning a ton of games.   

 

The point Cowherd was making is that the Bills are going to wear Josh down like Cam and Big Ben.   Cam was an anomaly, he had an AC joint injury that rendered his incredible arm talent useless.  He injured that making a tackle on an interception tackle, not running the ball.    If Cowherd wants to be hyperbolic let him, but dont let the facts be dismissed, Big Ben was an elite Quarterback until age 36.  And even when he was spent for the last two years of his career he was 21-10 as a starting QB, despite having the 32nd and 30th ranked rushing game in the league.

Edited by thenorthremembers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

   I’ve made the Cam comparison numerous times and agree.

   However, Dorsey has decidedly used him less on designed runs than Daboll.   Although, I do think we need to create a better rushing attack.
   Yesterday was a flukey day. It happens. 

You're right, Ken seems to be trying to limit the amount of runs Josh does, but he's still being forced to scramble out of the pocket more than he should be.  Why?  IMO because we can't keep the D honest with a running game, so they are expecting pass every play and getting pressure up the middle or off the edge, forcing Josh to get out of the pocket.  That needs to change.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Van Roten botched multiple snaps when Allen was under center.  They weren't even going to risk it with the 3rd string C.

Yeah, I know Johnny Van Rotten was having a hard time, but dang, is he that inept? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

Don't worry, the same talking heads on the electromagneticity will be like "he's un idiot becuz Allen got like 6 YPP and running can't get more than 4 consistently!!!"

 

Yet fail to mention that the 6 could become 7 or 8 if the defense is forced to respect an alternative way to gain effectively - and even 4 a carry on the ground can turn to 5 or 6 if you're wearing down the opponent.

 

The trouble is that Allen isn't as sharp as the best QB's every day. That LA game he was ON. The last two have been closer to average as far as accuracy, ~ 66%.

 

The other problem may be the latitude that's afforded Allen to call it on the fly. I think JA wants the ball. It's a great quality, but to just assume he's reading it right every time is risky.

 

And don't worry, all those guys from above who hit the little bad emojis aren't really in charge of the footballs. Yeah Dungy & Garrett sound like Football 1970, but the Air Raiders aren't exactly right every time. Someone must win. Last year it was Stafford and the Rams, not looking any more potent through the air than Buffalo or KC or Cincy. There are other factors.

When you have no real threat of a running game and the defense is expecting pass and flushing your QB out of the pocket quite often, what's his completion percentage supposed to be?  Once he's flushed out, the entire play now becomes Josh improv and all what he's able to do on the run.  A QB forced to throw on the run a lot is not going to be a QB with a super awesome completion %.  Josh is better at it than most, but it's not supposed to work that way.  He needs time to execute the play as drawn with the receivers running their designated routes...not just become a play of back yard football with the QB running around hoping a receiver can get open who's no longer running the play as designed.   

Edited by Billz4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This really is like the aftermath of the NE wind game last season when media types like Stephen A Smith were saying Allen should be ashamed for not generating another score and winning the game.

 

People also were calling Jones Baby GOAT, saying Belichick was a genius for the way he'd handled the team and rebuilt them in one year. 

 

HOT TAKE. HOT TAKE. HOT TAKE.

 

If we lose to the Ravens it will get even worse. We'll be a paper tiger, Lamar will be the best QB from the 2018 draft. Yada, yada, yada.

 

Then we'll win 4 or 5 in a row and people will say we're the HOTTEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Super Bowl Favorites again.

 

It's all so predictable but I'll lap it up all the same!

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

This really is like the aftermath of the NE wind game last season when media types like Stephen A Smith were saying Allen should be ashamed for not generating another score and winning the game.

 

People also were calling Jones Baby GOAT, saying Belichick was a genius for the way he'd handled the team and rebuilt them in one year. 

 

HOT TAKE. HOT TAKE. HOT TAKE.

 

If we lose to the Ravens it will get even worse. We'll be a paper tiger, Lamar will be the best QB from the 2018 draft. Yada, yada, yada.

 

Then we'll win 4 or 5 in a row and people will say we're the HOTTEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Super Bowl Favorites again.

 

It's all so predictable but I'll lap it up all the same!

Let the media say what they are going to say.  They all do it for clicks and reactions.  So what.  What I do know is we can't keep losing these close games or we are going to find ourselves on the road again in the postseason and have only ourselves to blame for not winning the games we should.

1 hour ago, Irish Dave said:

And Singletary, Moss, Cook are all the same size!!!!    Need a Jerome Bettis type.  Give it to a BIG guy

 

They have a 6 foot tall 250 pound fullback that they obviously don't think can pick up a yard in a goal to go situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

 

It starts up front for me. So many of our plays end up with Josh having to improvise because we don't hold blocks. The Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league and their GM has always believed in fortifying the trenches. I wouldn't like to put a percentage on the number of plays last night that ended up being run as they were drawn up, but it wasn't many. 

 

Even before the injuries Miami were getting rushers at Allen on most snaps. 

Exactly.  Luckily for us, Josh is one of the best QBs that can throw on the run, but Josh throwing on the run should be the exception, not the norm and it seems to be becoming more frequent.  They become improv plays by Josh and Bills fans have gotten spoiled with Josh's ability to create.  In reality, those are not high percentage plays and we need to be able to run plays where Josh has the proper time to let a play develop out of the pocket and deliver the ball on true, designated routes of the receivers.  Josh scrambling around and creating on the fly, while fun to watch when it works, is not something that we should rely on consitently.

Edited by Billz4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You're right, Ken seems to be trying to limit the amount of runs Josh does, but he's still being forced to scramble out of the pocket more than he should be.  Why?  IMO because we can't keep the D honest with a running game, so they are expecting pass every play and getting pressure up the middle or off the edge, forcing Josh to get out of the pocket.  That needs to change.

100% agree.

When they are 4 wide and single back in the back field there are opportunities. As many have said, put Singletary back there. If not him, try using Cook. Moss up the middle is ugly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice to cherry picks stats!  There's another whole thread on this, believe it states how McD is 1-6 is or 0-7 since last year??

 

Terrible in close games since last year!

 

Yeah OK, but what about the year prior when they were like 6-0

 

Added all up McD is around .500 in close games, not great, but also not terrible.  But easy to find stats to support a position.  As the old saying goes: "Figures don't lie, but liars figure!"

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Nice to cherry picks stats!  There's another whole thread on this, believe it states how McD is 1-6 is or 0-7 since last year??

 

Terrible in close games since last year!

 

Yeah OK, but what about the year prior when they were like 6-0

 

Added all up McD is around .500 in close games, not great, but also not terrible.  But easy to find stats to support a position.  As the old saying goes: "Figures don't lie, but liars figure!"

It's like people forget 2020, when we were always flat in the 3rd and Josh was the king of 4th quarter comebacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Ben played 18 seasons: In 8 of those seasons the Steelers were in the top 15 in the league in rushing, 10 of those seasons they were not.   When you look at his average wins in the seasons where the Steelers were in top half of the league, vs where they were in the bottom half, the average wins are almost identical.  To say he "rarely" had an ineffective run game is inaccurate.    If you actually look at the stats, he had an average or below average run game for over half his career. 

 

The mistake we make when looking back at Ben's career is we tend to recall the early Super Bowl appearances where he was green, and they won by running the ball, that was 2006.  What people fail to remember is the period from 2014-2018 where they were airing the ball out, averaging over 300 passing yards a game and still winning a ton of games.   

 

The point Cowherd was making is that the Bills are going to wear Josh down like Cam and Big Ben.   Cam was an anomaly, he had an AC joint injury that rendered his incredible arm talent useless.  He injured that making a tackle on an interception tackle, not running the ball.    If Cowherd wants to be hyperbolic let him, but dont let the facts be dismissed, Big Ben was an elite Quarterback until age 36.  And even when he was spent for the last two years of his career he was 21-10 as a starting QB, despite having the 32nd and 30th ranked rushing game in the league.

 

2014-2018 was prime Leveon Bell years with Antonio Brown.  Prior to that was a 2 year lull, but before that they squeezed 2 productive 1100+ years out of Mendenhall and before that they had Willie Parker.  

 

The Bills haven't had a 1,000 yard RB or a rushing attack they could rely on since Shady back in 2017.  This is a problem and it will rear its head, yet again, when the weather gets bad.

 

Ben was tough as nails and an outlier for QBs historically.  He shouldn't be used as the norm.  Most QBs take less of beating than he and don't last as long.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Exactly.  Luckily for us, Josh is one of the best QBs that can throw on the run, but Josh throwing on the run should be the exception, not the norm and it seems to be becoming more frequent.  They become improv plays by Josh and Bills fans have gotten spoiled with Josh's ability to create.  In reality, those are not high percentage plays and we need to be able to run plays where Josh has the proper time to let a play develop out of the pocket and deliver the ball on true, designated routes of the receivers.  Josh scrambling around and creating on the fly, while fun to watch when it works, is not something that we should rely on consitently.

 

I think he does it so wel so often that we have almost come to think of it as routine and we stop noticing the sorts of consistent protection breakdowns that would kill other QBs - even guys that can play like a Derek Carr, not even just scrubs. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GunnerBill said:

 

I think he does it so wel so often that we have almost come to think of it as routine and we stop noticing the sorts of consistent protection breakdowns that would kill other QBs - even guys that can play like a Derek Carr, not even just scrubs. 

Yep, and we've really gotten spoiled with it IMO.  Expecting superman Josh every week is just not realistic expectations.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

If we want to blame the coaching in this game, I put it on Dorsey for 2 poor sequences:

 

-- 2nd possession of the 1st half, from the 12-yard line run Moss on two consecutive plays for no gain, followed by the strip sack.

 

-- Next-to-last possession in the 2nd half. 2nd and goal (about a foot to go): Allen in shotgun for 3 straight plays, beginning with RPO that loses almost 2 yards.

Fraziers soft Def? Cant expect the offense to always pull out the win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Fraziers soft Def? Cant expect the offense to always pull out the win. 

 

Soft defense? What with 4 kids in the secondary that basically held the Miami O everyone was lauding all week to two drives? They gave up 21 and 7 of those were gifts from the offense. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cowherd's right. I can't think of any close games the Bills have won. They have either blown the other team out or lost. I think it's a problem for a team that has super bowl aspirations to lose every single close game they play because you know there will be close games in the post season. Brady and Rodgers are known for winning close games and we have seen first hand Mahomes do it. When will Josh do it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cowherd is a moron. This loss had nothing to do with coaching. 

It was execution plain and simple. Josh fumbled.  Josh almost threw three picks. Davis had a TD reception knocked out of his hands. Bass missed a chip shot. Crowder dropped a punt. Milano dropped a sure pick 6. Johnson played like crap. Go back and check the threads all of you that said he would be fine because he was "in the system". He's athletically limited and his only responsibility on 3rd and 22 is not get beat deep. Terrible play.

Only coaching issue was play call on 2nd and goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, Ned Flanders said:

I was yelling expletives at the TV when I saw JA in the shotgun on 2nd down.  I don't care who was at center, you have three plays to gain three feet...go under center and power your way in...if it takes three tries, so be it.  That entire sequence was abysmal.   

I was thinking the same thing,....especially with the push the pile rules of today.  Also I was thinking there would be people defending it based on the center, and they will defend anything the Bills do.   But I totally agree with you, 3 sneaks would of been much better, dont over think it Dorsey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...