Cowherd killing Bills coaching in his monologue

zow2

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Big Ben rarely had a team that couldn't run the ball effectively and he was pretty washed for his last 3 or so years.  

Agreed.  Peyton Manning at his peak had Edgerrin and Brady, while never having a great lead back, always had a good running game to support him.  The Bills absolutely need to get this figured out over the next year.  Times have changed, but there needs to be some balance (and that balance can't be coming from Josh's legs).

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Another one of Cowherd's narratives is that he hates defensive head coaches in today's game.  He was politicking for Doug Pederson to be hired by anyone last spring, and finally the Jags got him   Even though McD has created a great culture, who knows,  maybe a Pederson or a Payton would get them over the hump?

If there is any sort of coaching blunder that costs the Bills in the post season or if they fail to get a running game going at least by next year, I'm going to start thinking this way.

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

Agreed.  Peyton Manning at his peak had Edgerrin and Brady, while never having a great lead back, always had a good running game to support him.  The Bills absolutely need to get this figured out over the next year.  Times have changed, but there needs to be some balance (and that balance can't be coming from Josh's legs).

Brady had a good run game and backs that were almost interchangeable in their abilities to catch the ball well out of the backfield on checkdowns

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First time reading this and it's the best comparison I've seen so far.

I think it's a bad comparison...Elway was a very effective scrambler, but I don't remember the Broncos ever using him on designed runs, other than the occasional QB sneak, certainly nothing like the way Allen is used... 

McDermott had this team READY yesterday.   We went into the game depleted on defense due to injury, and you would not have known it one bit. 

Credit to McD and the staff for that.  

Now, in-game… 3 Things:

1). 3rd and long, in deep shot territory, against a deep shot team.  Rushing 3 was unforgivable there. Especially with two young Safeties. 

2).  4th and 4 and we kick a FG.  I don’t believe in football karma, but that felt like a go for it moment.  Up 3, in a game that we were searching for that final TD, and we kick.  Bass misses the chip shot. 

3). We knew the weather forecast.  We know we’re a passing team.  Why do we only have 5 WR’s active, with one being a banged up Davis?   I don’t know what Shakir is, but I know we desperately needed fresh legs out there. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

The “third string O line” could have used a break from the nonstop blitzing. Kromer can dial up a scheme to grind out a drive. The roster is full of players up and down the depth chart that can play that way; except for the RB. This team has no effective run game because it doesn’t have a decent enough RB, to make the defense consider defending them. 

Cook has shown nothing yet, except he doesn’t have great hands. Miss doesn’t belong on this team. One 46 yard scramble doesn’t help, when you can’t hang your hat on 3rd and short. 

The O line and it’s depth are a strength of this team. Running Back by committee is killing them. 

I thought Cook looked pretty good yesterday...

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First time reading this and it's the best comparison I've seen so far.

Cam was a grind on you ball control qb and he was really good at that but getting into a 38-35 shootout wasn’t his game. Josh definitely does that aka Elway. I just picture Josh with a shannahan style running game. I actually thought Dorsey going back to his Miami Hurricane days was going to do more of that even with their skill talent they where still a run heavy offense. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We finally got our Bruuuuce, now we need our Thurman. Should have just draft Hall and a bunch of linemen. 

I think this was the plan for 23. Beane is good at stepping contracts and they took care of The Dline this year. I bet this next off season he completes things with a kickass Oline.

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We finally got our Bruuuuce, now we need our Thurman. Should have just draft Hall and a bunch of linemen. 

Look around the league, the peak for lead backs doesn't last long and there's guys from all sorts of draft positions getting it done (see Ekeler).  I think Singletary is a good back and he's shown as much when we've given him the ball consistently.  I'd argue our offensive line is probably adequate when healthy too.  We just need to actually commit to running the ball.  Backs and lines improve when given the opportunity to establish a rhythm.  It might mean a couple of punts in the first half of games, especially early in the year as you're establishing that rhythm and consistency, but it will pay off down the road.

1 hour ago, Jukester said:

It’s funny how we were media darlings before this week. Really?!! He has absolutely no perspective on this last game. Yes it was all Allen centric because we had no other choice. Hello:

No Hyde
No Poyer
No White
No Jackson
No Phillips
No Oliver
Limited Diggs
Limited McKenzie
Limited Knox
Limited Davis
No Morse
No Brown
No Bates
No Van Roten

…and we still should’ve won. 

No Kumerow after his injury too...

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

In a nutshell,  

Bills have a defensive coach. Allen is being used like Cam in Carolina.

6 years in, No ability to run the ball unless it’s Allen.  

No ability to create offense outside of Allen.

This can’t last with Allen. He will age out overnight down the road like Cam or Big Ben.

Great knockout punch but Only the Texans are as bad as Buffalo in close games since beginning of last year.

Not a fluke, happens because QB is exhausted and gets sloppy at the end from being overused.

He is spot on and time for Beane to look to see what RB'S are available.  I am so tired of people saying Moss and Singletary are fine when they just cannot make yards and we need our QB to run the ball.  Cook at this point looks like a project or pass receiver,  start bringing in guys for tryouts.  I like Singetary as a pass catcher but we need someone who can get those tough yards.  

We're all disappointed they didn't pull this one out but the fact is the Bills were out-manned from a roster standpoint before the game started and lost players during the course of the game and still were just one play away from pulling out the win.  You got a complete back up secondary with back ups to back ups coming in later.  Defensive tackle starters out, offensive linemen dropping like flies during the game, receivers puking and cramping, and injured, and oppressive sun, heat, and humidity.  Who exactly did anyone expect would put the team on his back given those circumstances?     

I didn't hear what Cowherd had to say but I watched Get Up on ESPN and Rex Ryan mentioned how the sun, heat, and humidity gives the Dolphins a huge advantage in their September home games and the biggest factor in this game was where and when it was played.  The other guys talked about how great Tua was throwing for a pedestrian 186 yards against a complete 2nd string secondary and how well Miami's defense played giving up 497 yards to a depleted offense.  Which leads me to believe these guys commenting on the game don't even watch it except for maybe a couple highlights.

Ironically, the Bills lose the game and move into the #1 spot for total defense yards allowed at 214 per game.   Miami's defense drops to 31st.  The only team rated worse is our next opponent, the Ravens.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The Chiefs, Cowherd's comparison, have never had a great offensive line and their scheme doesn't necessarily require one.

You just can't be dominant at every position group. It's not feasible. The Chiefs have the offensive minds on staff to utilize one of the game's best young QBs to overcome personnel deficiencies in their offense, while the Bills as of yet have not been able to find similar results with arguably a more talented QB.

Their offensive line now is pretty good. Granted hasn't always been thus. But there were spells last year their offense really struggled and their scheme and playcalling was rightly under the microscope. 

Could the Bills be better scheme wise? Sure, you can always be better. But the main reason this offense relies so heavily on Josh Allen so often is because we don't protect well enough IMO. 

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

-- Next-to-last possession in the 2nd half. 2nd and goal (about a foot to go): Allen in shotgun for 3 straight plays, beginning with RPO that loses almost 2 yards.

I was yelling expletives at the TV when I saw JA in the shotgun on 2nd down.  I don't care who was at center, you have three plays to gain three feet...go under center and power your way in...if it takes three tries, so be it.  That entire sequence was abysmal.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ned Flanders said:

I was yelling expletives at the TV when I saw JA in the shotgun on 2nd down.  I don't care who was at center, you have three plays to gain three feet...go under center and power your way in...if it takes three tries, so be it.  That entire sequence was abysmal.   

Van Roten botched multiple snaps when Allen was under center.  They weren't even going to risk it with the 3rd string C.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.