Cowherd killing Bills coaching in his monologue

zow2

27 minutes ago, zow2 said:

In a nutshell,  

Bills have a defensive coach. Allen is being used like Cam in Carolina.

6 years in, No ability to run the ball unless it’s Allen.  

No ability to create offense outside of Allen.

This can’t last with Allen. He will age out overnight down the road like Cam or Big Ben.

Great knockout punch but Only the Texans are as bad as Buffalo in close games since beginning of last year.

Not a fluke, happens because QB is exhausted and gets sloppy at the end from being overused.

Wasn’t Deangelo Williams playing with Cam?

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He makes the point that when you watch the Bills it's very obvious that the offense relies almost entirely on the skills of Allen, whereas when you watch the Chiefs or now the Eagles move the ball you can see how the scheme and play designs positively impact their offenses.

It starts up front for me. So many of our plays end up with Josh having to improvise because we don't hold blocks. The Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league and their GM has always believed in fortifying the trenches. I wouldn't like to put a percentage on the number of plays last night that ended up being run as they were drawn up, but it wasn't many. 

Even before the injuries Miami were getting rushers at Allen on most snaps. 

• Like (+1) 6

Cowherd is paid handsomely to say idiotic things to stir up fanbases.  I'm not taking the bait.

But I'm not a Pollyanna, either.  This team has real issues at this point (BTW, all teams do), which I see as the following:

1. Injuries

2. Short yardage situations

3. Traditional RB-lead running game

4. Situational football (end game, 2 minute drill, etc.)

Obviously, we can't do anything about the injuries, and on a day like yesterday, they clearly negatively enhanced all of the issues listed below it.  Presumably, Morse is a short term issue and we should be able to improve in the running game with additional lineup continuity, a greater commitment to actually running the ball and smarter usage of the running back rotation.  We saw what Devin could do late last year when we commit to running the ball and the offensive line, when healthy, should be improved over what we were trotting out there last December/January. 

The other issues? Yes, the coaches have to scheme a better way of attacking 3rd and 4th and short situations, and situational football definitely falls on the coaching staff.   I'm sure they are practicing it, but it's certainly surprising to see a veteran team (looking at you Frazier and D) with a HOF caliber QB struggle in those late game and end of half situations.  It needs to get better if we want to win a Super Bowl.

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You really have to wonder how bad this team would be without an elite franchise QB.

McDermott is just another shade of Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, etc but he is bailed out because of Allen no matter how many fans defend him and claim otherwise.

This is also why JA17 may win his first MVP award this year.

He went to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and Nate Peterman as QBs while they had Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamine as the starting receivers.  Think before you post dingus.  Rick Dennison was the OC who I believe his last job was an offensive line coach for the Vikings.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

For the you have to run the ball guys.   Last three Super Bowl Winners and their season rank for yards rushing the year they won.

Rams: 25th

TB: 28th

KC: 23rd

You can do the same thing with short quick passes as you can running the ball.  The bottom line is you have to outscore your opponents, you dont do that with ground and pound.

Then Allen's gotta be clicking at around 75-80% on the short passes, and typically hitting guys in stride. I think that may be the disconnect. It's not enough to just slap it into the 3 yard window of catchability. If they have to adjust & stop at +2, the defense knows they can start out of position and collapse to keep it reasonable. You need to be able to turn 3 yard gains into 12 yard gains. Then the defense respects.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It starts up front for me. So many of our plays end up with Josh having to improvise because we don't hold blocks. The Eagles have one of the best offensive lines in the league and their GM has always believed in fortifying the trenches. I wouldn't like to put a percentage on the number of plays last night that ended up being run as they were drawn up, but it wasn't many. 

Even before the injuries Miami were getting rushers at Allen on most snaps. 

What were the numbers on the Bates signing?  That's starting to look like a mistake.  An old school Bills move of signing a "flash in the pan" guy and hoping he turns into a legit player.  We need to commit serious draft resources to the oline next year.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think both of those moss runs were out of shotgun too.

I'm sure I will be repeating myself this week, but this is what I'm seeing about the run game.

These RPO/running plays out of the shotgun are not working the way they hoped for.

I believe that opposing defenses are just rushing towards Josh on every play.  If it's a pass play, they push Josh out of the pocket or rush

his throws.  If it's a run play the disrupt the RB and hit him behind the LOS.

The Josh runs on the RPO is the same thing.  If you are on defense just keep your eyes on Josh.

Playing against teams that can't move Josh off his spot is a no brainer.  The Bills will win.

Playing against teams that can do what I said above will be a problem until the Bills can effectively stretch the field laterally with the run game.

Has to be some more plays with Josh under center.  No all of them but just enough to make the D think.

I'd like to see a pitch or 2 to Cook to see what that can do.

32 minutes ago, zow2 said:

In a nutshell,  

Bills have a defensive coach. Allen is being used like Cam in Carolina.

6 years in, No ability to run the ball unless it’s Allen.  

No ability to create offense outside of Allen.

This can’t last with Allen. He will age out overnight down the road like Cam or Big Ben.

Great knockout punch but Only the Texans are as bad as Buffalo in close games since beginning of last year.

Not a fluke, happens because QB is exhausted and gets sloppy at the end from being overused.

Sean Payton.

Get him here next year Beane.

If not, we are going to waste Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s at least right about is not being able to run the ball.

We’ve used two 3rd round picks and a 2nd round pick on RBs in the last 3 years and we still don’t have a guy that can consistently carry the load for 15 or so rushes a game.

Asking Allen to throw it over 60 times is not a recipe for sustained success. 

Just commit to Singletary as your lead back and treat him like one. 

As Singletary gets chased down from behind by nose tackles...game after game after game...decent first move that can make people miss, but has ankle weights on and can't run.

Edited by Billzfan37
typo

3 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Then Allen's gotta be clicking at around 75-80% on the short passes, and typically hitting guys in stride. I think that may be the disconnect. It's not enough to just slap it into the 3 yard window of catchability. If they have to adjust & stop at +2, the defense knows they can start out of position and collapse to keep it reasonable. You need to be able to turn 3 yard gains into 12 yard gains. Then the defense respects.

He actually did that yesterday.  He completed 16 passes to backs for 143 yards.  That's 8.9 ypc on what were essentially extended running plays.  So, it worked.  Where he struggled yesterday was consistently being able to connect on the downfield throws.

1 minute ago, Billzfan37 said:

As Singletart gets chased down from behind by nose tackles...game after game after game...decent first move that can make people miss, but has ankle weights on and can't run.

Moss & Cook only backs to have 30+ yard runs. Singletary does have good 10 yard runs, blocks and caught the ball nicely yesterday. If only he had one more speed gear.

29 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Allen is great in the 2nd half of games, so I don't know about that last point, but in general I agree.

Bottom line, the Bills needs to learn how to run the football.

Agree.

Allen made one of his biggest leaps the year he kept bringing this team back in the 4th quarter.

Last year playoff at KC I dare anyone to say he was not clutch.

I think both Daboll and Dorsey were a bit pass happy and this team got better with a more balanced attack last year.

We brought in Kromer for the OL because he is so good at scheming up runs and run blocking. They need to tap him and get his input.

The OL is pretty dinged up right now, but we will see if they start pivoting to a more balanced offensive attack.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I'm sure I will be repeating myself this week, but this is what I'm seeing about the run game.

These RPO/running plays out of the shotgun are not working the way they hoped for.

I believe that opposing defenses are just rushing towards Josh on every play.  If it's a pass play, they push Josh out of the pocket or rush

his throws.  If it's a run play the disrupt the RB and hit him behind the LOS.

The Josh runs on the RPO is the same thing.  If you are on defense just keep your eyes on Josh.

Playing against teams that can't move Josh off his spot is a no brainer.  The Bills will win.

Playing against teams that can do what I said above will be a problem until the Bills can effectively stretch the field laterally with the run game.

Has to be some more plays with Josh under center.  No all of them but just enough to make the D think.

I'd like to see a pitch or 2 to Cook to see what that can do.

You're not wrong.  Attack the mesh point - its how you defend RPOs in the backfield.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billzfan37 said:

As Singletary gets chased down from behind by nose tackles...game after game after game...decent first move that can make people miss, but has ankle weights on and can't run.

His speed isn’t being questioned and that’s not even the point. He’s not fast by any means but he’s still our best back right now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.