Cowherd killing Bills coaching in his monologue

zow2

10 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Allen is great in the 2nd half of games, so I don't know about that last point, but in general I agree.

Bottom line, the Bills needs to learn how to run the football.

Agree. Allen has proved he can play on the final drives. But it does mean something that we still cannot close the door. Is that on Allen or the coaches. Allen did what he needed but McK did not get down and plays earlier in the game cost them; not Allen on the final drive. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

If we want to blame the coaching in this game, I put it on Dorsey for 2 poor sequences:

-- 2nd possession of the 1st half, from the 12-yard line run Moss on two consecutive plays for no gain, followed by the strip sack.

-- Next-to-last possession in the 2nd half. 2nd and goal (about a foot to go): Allen in shotgun for 3 straight plays, beginning with RPO that loses almost 2 yards.

That possession ended once the bills were fine getting to the 2 minute warning

They got to the goal line with rushes from singletary and the line for the first time all game was got a push on back to back downs. Letting the 2 minute warning hit allowed the defense to catch their breath

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Agree. Allen has proved he can play on the final drives. But it does mean something that we still cannot close the door. Is that on Allen or the coaches. Allen did what he needed but McK did not get down and plays earlier in the game cost them; not Allen on the final drive. 

It’s coaching and lack of a professional Oline. Imagine having the best QB in the NFL and losing a stat line like that. Some people just can’t win a race even if they have a Ferrari. Sad. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

If we want to blame the coaching in this game, I put it on Dorsey for 2 poor sequences:

-- 2nd possession of the 1st half, from the 12-yard line run Moss on two consecutive plays for no gain, followed by the strip sack.

-- Next-to-last possession in the 2nd half. 2nd and goal (about a foot to go): Allen in shotgun for 3 straight plays, beginning with RPO that loses almost 2 yards.

I think both of those moss runs were out of shotgun too.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Throw the Dolphins game in the trash. There are to many variables to draw conclusions after one freaking loss 

100% agree with Dr. House.

Oh and by the way, let's cherry pick stats - the Bills are the worst team (other than the Texans) in close games since the beginning of last year (cherry pick last year to fit the narrative).  But wait - let's look at 2020 (still have the same core of players and coaches).

Week 2 - Beat Dolphins by 3

Week 3 - Beat Rams by 3

Week 4 - Beat Raiders by 7

Week 7 - Beat Jets by 8

Week 8 -- Beat Pats by 3

Week 10 - lost to Cardinals on Hail Murray after last second JA TD

Prior to us destroying teams - JA was well known for his late game heroics - but due to recency bias, JA is not a clutch QB (I read it here, it has to be true!) and the Bills are horrible in close games.

Awful take with selective stats being used. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

How do you generate offense outside of Allen?

A run game. A competent run game would have spared a fraction of the blitzes from that garbage Miami defense.

Garbage. 

Don't worry, the same talking heads on the electromagneticity will be like "he's un idiot becuz Allen got like 6 YPP and running can't get more than 4 consistently!!!"

Yet fail to mention that the 6 could become 7 or 8 if the defense is forced to respect an alternative way to gain effectively - and even 4 a carry on the ground can turn to 5 or 6 if you're wearing down the opponent.

The trouble is that Allen isn't as sharp as the best QB's every day. That LA game he was ON. The last two have been closer to average as far as accuracy, ~ 66%.

The other problem may be the latitude that's afforded Allen to call it on the fly. I think JA wants the ball. It's a great quality, but to just assume he's reading it right every time is risky.

And don't worry, all those guys from above who hit the little bad emojis aren't really in charge of the footballs. Yeah Dungy & Garrett sound like Football 1970, but the Air Raiders aren't exactly right every time. Someone must win. Last year it was Stafford and the Rams, not looking any more potent through the air than Buffalo or KC or Cincy. There are other factors.

Edited by pocoboy

11 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I agree with the 2 consecutive plays for no gain.  They keep trying to run to the left for an average of like 0.5 per run.  They run right finally and Moss goes for 45.

As for the shotgun at goal to goal, not much they could do.  The had no confidence in the 3rd string center (off PS) to snap properly. Fumble risk was high. Josh running on 2nd could be questioned - play actio npass may have been the better choice, but nitpicking

1 minute ago, Vertig0 said:

Oh and by the way, let's cherry pick stats - the Bills are the worst team (other than the Texans) in close games since the beginning of last year (cherry pick last year to fit the narrative).  But wait - let's look at 2020 (still have the same core of players and coaches).

Week 3 - Beat Rams by 3

Week 7 - Beat Jets by 8

Week 8 -- Beat Pats by 3

Prior to us destroying teams - JA was well known for his late game heroics - but due to recency bias, JA is not a clutch QB (I read it here, it has to be true!) and the Bills are horrible in close games.

Cowherd is from the Skip Bayless school of bad takes. 

19 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Allen is great in the 2nd half of games, so I don't know about that last point, but in general I agree.

Bottom line, the Bills needs to learn how to run the football.

Seriously.  This was my concern coming into week 3. And Motor is a legit RB1. He can obviously run well, great at receiving and pass pro.

We have to run more with the back, just to have a Threat of a run game. Allen accounting for 90% of our O every game is unsustainable 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Jukester said:

It’s funny how we were media darlings before this week. Really?!! He has absolutely no perspective on this last game. Yes it was all Allen centric because we had no other choice. Hello:

No Hyde
No Poyer
No White
No Jackson
No Phillips
No Oliver
Limited Diggs
Limited McKenzie
Limited Knox
Limited Davis
No Morse
No Brown
No Bates
No Van Roten

…and we still should’ve won. 

To be fair, especially if you didn’t see it, he still says he thinks they are the best team in the league. Don’t lose sight of that. He is concerned about the lack of a traditional running game and the disturbing record in one score games. If you pay attention, you should be too. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s at least right about is not being able to run the ball.

We’ve used two 3rd round picks and a 2nd round pick on RBs in the last 3 years and we still don’t have a guy that can consistently carry the load for 15 or so rushes a game.

Asking Allen to throw it over 60 times is not a recipe for sustained success. 

Just commit to Singletary as your lead back and treat him like one. 

And Singletary, Moss, Cook are all the same size!!!!    Need a Jerome Bettis type.  Give it to a BIG guy

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think I would blame the coaches for yesterday's loss. The offensive plays were deliberately called to use up as much time as possible because we did not want the defense on the field. In terms of plan, it worked. Yes, there were some bad calls - the second offensive drive and 3 & 22 stand out - but in general the coaching did not result in the errors being made by the starters in terms of a particularly poor throw, dropped catches, a missed field goal, a lost pick six and dancing round the field rather than getting out of bounds whilst the clock ticked down. And if just one of those mistakes hadn't been made we would have won, all other things being equal.

I do agree the O Line has been overlooked for too long and, if we do not win the Super Bowl this year, it will probably be down to that. And, because we wanted the offense to keep the defense off the field for so long, they were absolutely spent during the fourth quarter which led to mental and physical errors. But I can see the logic behind it and, if we had trusted the defense more, would it have been so close? Or would the Dolphins have got into a groove and exploited our injury-enforced weaknesses?

For the you have to run the ball guys.   Last three Super Bowl Winners and their season rank for yards rushing the year they won.

Rams: 25th

TB: 28th

KC: 23rd

You can do the same thing with short quick passes as you can running the ball.  The bottom line is you have to outscore your opponents, you dont do that with ground and pound.

• Like (+1) 1

To prove the naysayers wrong the Bills must prove the naysayers wrong. 

If the Bills hand it off to Moss or Singletary at the 1 and they scored this would go a long way to proving the narrative the Bills are overly reliable on Josh Allen - and are interested in being around longer than a decade. 

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

In a nutshell,  

Bills have a defensive coach. Allen is being used like Cam in Carolina.

6 years in, No ability to run the ball unless it’s Allen.  

No ability to create offense outside of Allen.

This can’t last with Allen. He will age out overnight down the road like Cam or Big Ben.

Great knockout punch but Only the Texans are as bad as Buffalo in close games since beginning of last year.

Not a fluke, happens because QB is exhausted and gets sloppy at the end from being overused.

Allen won't age out overnight like Newton. He's more talented and better all around than Newton ever was

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

Week 3 - Beat Rams by 3

Week 7 - Beat Jets by 8

Week 8 -- Beat Pats by 3

I think the close game stat does average out over time, but it stinks when you are on the wrong end as we are now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.