What Is "Christian Nationalism"?

Tiberius

23 minutes ago, LeviF said:

My record on the topic of religion is well-established in these fora. That said, those who would speak about Christianity would do well to actually educate themselves on the topic before making wildly inaccurate claims about a religion that has been established for close to 2000 years. 

The historical record of Christianity and its influence on western government is well-documented. No reason to speak from ignorance when many of your claims can be debunked by popping open a book that you can get at any public library. 

Amen.

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

My record on the topic of religion is well-established in these fora. That said, those who would speak about Christianity would do well to actually educate themselves on the topic before making wildly inaccurate claims about a religion that has been established for close to 2000 years. 

The historical record of Christianity and its influence on western government is well-documented. No reason to speak from ignorance when many of your claims can be debunked by popping open a book that you can get at any public library. 

This seems a little alarming to people intelligent enough to not buy into organized religion.  I have no problem with people who love god. 

"We know that we are in the last of the last days," Boebert later said, referencing the belief held by some evangelical Christians that Jesus will return after a period of tribulation, or great suffering, and save believers. "But it's not a time to complain about it. It's not a time to get upset about it. It's a time to know that you were called to be a part of these last days. You get to have a role in ushering in the second coming of Jesus."

Boebert's comments expressing an intrinsic tie between the US and Christianity aren't new: In June she said she was "tired of this separation of church and state junk" and that "the church is supposed to direct the government." But by invoking the end times, Boebert is tapping into a side of Christian nationalism that has been associated with violence.

Although a spokesperson for Boebert told The Denver Post she does not identify as a Christian nationalist, her comments align with the tenets of Christian nationalism, an ideology and cultural framework that says Christianity should have a privileged position in American society.

"We found in our book that among Americans that embrace Christian nationalism, we see increasingly this embrace of a premillennialist interpretation of the end times, where there will be a tribulation but Christ will take away the faithful," Andrew Whitehead, a sociologist at IUPUI and co-author of "Taking America Back for God: Christian Nationalism in the United States," told Insider.

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

This seems a little alarming to people intelligent enough to not buy into organized religion.  I have no problem with people who love god. 

"We know that we are in the last of the last days," Boebert later said, referencing the belief held by some evangelical Christians that Jesus will return after a period of tribulation, or great suffering, and save believers. "But it's not a time to complain about it. It's not a time to get upset about it. It's a time to know that you were called to be a part of these last days. You get to have a role in ushering in the second coming of Jesus."

Boebert's comments expressing an intrinsic tie between the US and Christianity aren't new: In June she said she was "tired of this separation of church and state junk" and that "the church is supposed to direct the government." But by invoking the end times, Boebert is tapping into a side of Christian nationalism that has been associated with violence.

Although a spokesperson for Boebert told The Denver Post she does not identify as a Christian nationalist, her comments align with the tenets of Christian nationalism, an ideology and cultural framework that says Christianity should have a privileged position in American society.

"We found in our book that among Americans that embrace Christian nationalism, we see increasingly this embrace of a premillennialist interpretation of the end times, where there will be a tribulation but Christ will take away the faithful," Andrew Whitehead, a sociologist at IUPUI and co-author of "Taking America Back for God: Christian Nationalism in the United States," told Insider.

Crazy! These are going to be the nut cases running the House of Reps if they win 

Desantis is having a hard week.....

A Gadsden County Commissioner appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis abruptly resigned last week after pictures allegedly showing him in a Ku Klux Klan outfit started to circulate, according to Gadsden County Sheriff Morris Young.

Young said that the pictures were brought to him last Tuesday and multiple people told him the pictures were of Gadsden County Commissioner Jeff Moore. He said when he approached Moore about the pictures, Moore did not deny it was him.

“He never denied at all. Refuted nothing when I showed him the pictures,” Young said in an interview. Young, who is Black, endorsed DeSantis. “I thought he needed to resign, and I told him that.”

Moore, a Republican, was appointed by DeSantis to serve as commissioner in early August. The governor’s office confirmed on Monday that Moore resigned last week, but said they did not know why.

“We are in the middle of hurricane prep, I’m not aware of the photo you sent but Jeff did submit his resignation last week,” said Taryn Fenske, DeSantis’ communications director.

15 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Desantis is having a hard week.....

A Gadsden County Commissioner appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis abruptly resigned last week after pictures allegedly showing him in a Ku Klux Klan outfit started to circulate, according to Gadsden County Sheriff Morris Young.

Young said that the pictures were brought to him last Tuesday and multiple people told him the pictures were of Gadsden County Commissioner Jeff Moore. He said when he approached Moore about the pictures, Moore did not deny it was him.

“He never denied at all. Refuted nothing when I showed him the pictures,” Young said in an interview. Young, who is Black, endorsed DeSantis. “I thought he needed to resign, and I told him that.”

Moore, a Republican, was appointed by DeSantis to serve as commissioner in early August. The governor’s office confirmed on Monday that Moore resigned last week, but said they did not know why.

“We are in the middle of hurricane prep, I’m not aware of the photo you sent but Jeff did submit his resignation last week,” said Taryn Fenske, DeSantis’ communications director.

Commissioner of a majority black community. I'm sure that was an accident 

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

No, he has gifted Mankind the unique character of free will.  You have to look at things with a godlike timeline. As an example: I was sitting on the beach yesterday, reading a book, and watching while two little sisters fought, cried, and made up over and over and over again in the span on an hour or two. Their mother pretty much just sat there. She knew they would always make up and go right back to playing. God's timeline is much like the mother's.  Your (and my) meager existence on this planet is fleeting. A vapor in the wind. Here today and gone tomorrow.

Cool your god seems interesting. I just dont want him near my government.  As in the constitution. 

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Cool your god seems interesting. I just dont want him near my government.  As in the constitution. 

God is cool! I also don’t want him near government. But the inverse is also true…keep your godless government away from my ability to ‘access’ my God! 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

God is cool! I also don’t want him near government. But the inverse is also true…keep your godless government away from my ability to ‘access’ my God! 

Seems to me with all the BS your party spews about bringing god back in control of the country I am the one who should be worried.  People's relationship to god is personal and private. 

Your god is a man ha?  Is he white? 

• Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Seems to me with all the BS your party spews about bringing god back in control of the country I am the one who should be worried.  People's relationship to god is personal and private. 

There's been a couple of you lefties lately trying to bait a "gender of God" discussion. 

What's up with that? 

Edited by TSOL
Sp

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Do you have any idea how utterly ridiculous those questions are to God? Classic twenty first century American attitude. Not sure if your argument is with me or God? If the latter you’ll need to take your questions to God. Go for it! Here’s a hint though, I’d lower the hubris a tad. Just saying. 

27 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

See, this is where you reveal your true colors, Ned.  

@SoCal Deek says he agrees with you that religion should not be close to government, and similarly suggests that government should stay away from his ability to worship as he sees fit.

A normal, reasonable, American reply would be "Agreed".  Instead, you respond with gibberish and attempt to mock his reply.  

You're exactly the type of individual recruited to harass someone on the other side of whatever coin you're on, you just lack the ability to see it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, TSOL said:

There's been a couple of you lefties lately trying to bait a "gender of God" discussion. 

What's up with that? 

It's another basic blind spot that they don't realize just tells on themselves.

Except for trolling, there's no reason to argue about something you know absolutely nothing about.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Except for trolling, there's no reason to argue about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Now wait a minute! Ned and the others actually may be onto something. Putting 100% of your faith in government has been proven to have had an excellent track record down through the centuries. (Or at the very least it's bound to work this time....right?)

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Now wait a minute! Ned and the others actually may be onto something. Putting 100% of your faith in government has been proven to have had an excellent track record down through the centuries. (Or at the very least it's bound to work this time....right?)

How do you square the notion of Christian love and wanting to turn away desperate poor immigrants fleeing oppression? Seems like you just pick and choose what you want Christianity to be. Is it really that amorphous? 

Just now, Tiberius said:

How do you square the notion of Christian love and wanting to turn away desperate poor immigrants fleeing oppression? Seems like you just pick and choose what you want Christianity to be. Is it really that amorphous? 

Wait....I thought we were keeping Christianity and Government separate?  Not today? 

33 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

See, this is where you reveal your true colors, Ned.  

@SoCal Deek says he agrees with you that religion should not be close to government, and similarly suggests that government should stay away from his ability to worship as he sees fit.

A normal, reasonable, American reply would be "Agreed".  Instead, you respond with gibberish and attempt to mock his reply.  

You're exactly the type of individual recruited to harass someone on the other side of whatever coin you're on, you just lack the ability to see it. 

Seems to me while he supposedly agrees with that he supports a party who's goal is to do exactly that.  I respect his god.  I would guess he respects mine.  That is a real question.  That is not harassment.  We are having a discussion.  Also when did our government stop anyone from practicing their religion? 

Please stop with the normal reasonable American response.  We seen how you played Jan 6th and voter fraud and Trump having top secret documents..  You guys are absurd. 

31 minutes ago, LeviF said:

So you are suggesting I do not know about your god somehow?  Or your teachings? 

Edited by nedboy7