What We Learned Week 3

corta765

NFL: Coaching and QB play have always been something linked together for good or bad. It seems more prevalent then ever though that having a coach who can maximize a QBs skill set or at least have a plan to do so is maybe the most important thing for any team. Results are early but for younger QBs like Hurts, Lawrence, & Tua it is noticeable how the coaching has helped to maximize what those players do well to give them the best opportunity for success. Conversely QBs like R. Wilson, Fields, & Trubisky all are in situations where both the QBs play can be questioned and you can ask what the heck the coach and OC are doing. Justin Fields has an incredible amount of talent that should be worked to unlock and instead has 45 pass attempts on the season... Josh Allen had 63 yesterday alone. Additionally the most successful QB/Coach combos seem to be looking as far back as high school on plays that worked well for that QB. The days of forcing a QB to your scheme are over, evolve or die. The end the QB will always dictate their ceiling of what they can do, but future coaches would be wise to have a detailed plan on what they will do when they become a coach as that is becoming the way of the future.

AFC

BAL- The offense is sublime and Lamar looks as good as he ever has (should've paid him already), the real question is what has happened to their defense. They will lose more games simply because they are a sieve on the back end until they figure it out regardless of what Lamar and the O do.

BUF- 0-7 now in one score games and coaching in many of these games has come under fire. One score games have an element of luck, but if your are the alpha team you got to be able to close at points. Also zero turnovers didn't help to get easy points. Just wasn't their day.

CLE-Kevin Stefanski has done a masterful job coaching Brissett up at QB. Despite my hatred for CLE I will say I can see them being .500 when Watson is due to return and having a look at the WC.

CIN- For all the doom and gloom that came into week 3 for CIN, they had a great day and would be 2-1 had they made an extra point. The AFCN is in a weird place so they may be able to crawl back into it quickly.

DEN- The offense has scored a total of 44 pts in 3 games and Wilson is averaging 248 ypg. Call it growing pains if you want but this it not what anyone thought and they don't look like their ready to compete for the AFCW... which is why Wilson was brought in.

HOU- Old friend Jerry Hughes had two sacks in their loss as Mills was up and down again at QB. The defense has 10 sacks and 17 tackles for a loss on the season. Next year with more talent and a new QB they will have a nice base to work with.

IND- They won a game most people thought they wouldn't to get a little life back in their season, but they still look like a .500 team at best. Ryan's best days look past him and they really need to draft a QB and stop trying for quick fixes.

JAX- Circumstances helped with Hebert at 50% if that, but Peterson quickly has righted this ship and by the end of the year they could be a real problem come playoff times with that passing attack and aggressive blitz on D.

KC- Just like the Bills even the best teams are mortal. Yesterday highlighted when Mahomes is kept out of the endzone, you can give yourself a shot to beat him.

LAC- This team has got to be cursed and the medical staff needs to be investigated by OSHA. They are in real trouble at 1-2 as injuries are here and Hebert may need to be shutdown.

MIA- Say what you want but they are 3-0 and 2-0 division wise which has to feel nice for them. Jevon Holland has been superb in the back end for MIA and his name will grow league wide if he keeps his play up.

NE- They played a spirited game against BAL to try and keep themselves around, but with Mac potentially out for weeks realty will come faster that this is just not a good team.

NYJ- Zach Wilson will return this week or next and the Jets will get a true look at whether he is part of the core group of players they are building or not.

PIT- Mitch is not helping himself passing the ball, but OC Matt Canada is wrecking any opportunity by not passing the ball. It feels like both of them will be gone at seasons end.

Raiders- Having an owner coach meeting week 3 is never good with a 1st year coach. What is worse is a Raider defense that is bottom 10 despite all the money spent.

TEN- Credit to the Titans to bounce back, but Lewan out for the season is a buzzkill after a must win game at home

NFC

ARZ- Maybe LA really has their number, but Kliff and crew just seem to be the poor mans version of what McVay has done in LA.  Kyler can only do so much and they just seem very stale in terms of roster talent and design.

ATL- Over 400 yds of offense and 179 rushing the Falcons offense is entertaining to watch and moving the ball. The biggest issue for them may be winning too many games as they are not a playoff team and will need a QB, but the NFC South is looking shaky which could move them from a top 5 pick.
CAR- First win at home since Sept 2021 and they took advantage of the Saints turnovers. The offense was efficient and if they can just stay clean in terms of penalties and turnovers they could find themselves winning more often.

CHI- They are 2-1 to start the season, but the locals can't be thrilled at how porus the offense looks passing wise. Fields did not have a good day when they let him do anything in the air, but the running game went off for 281 yards to save the day. This team is really hard on the eyes when they have the ball.

DAL- Cooper Rush 2-0? The Giants are not very good and the Cowboys have more blue chip talent. If he can stay within himself I can see him helping Dallas to a 2-1 start many didn't see coming with Dak out.

DET- Tough loss on the road

GB- The offense has started slow, but rookie WR Romeo Doubs has 14 catches for 137 yds 1 TD leading the team. Curious to see if long term he becomes Rodgers favorite target especially now that Watkins is out.

LAR- They won but they are down to one starting offensive lineman from week 1. They need reinforcements and Stafford needs to pick up his play. Luckily the rest of the division looks down right now.

MIN- Good comeback at home after spotting DET 10 pts to get to 2-0 in the division. Cook potentially out hurts as the Vikings still have a good look at the division if the offense can keep up its good play.

NOLA- Can we please never hear again about Winston being a franchise QB. The weapons are here on offense but they are at best a .500 team until they can find a solution at QB who doesn't throw 2 INTs a game.

NYG- A lot has been said about the Giants being the worst 2-0 team in forever, but win tonight and at 3-0 they literally can go .500 (7-7) and would clinch a playoff birth.

PHI- The Eagles put to bed any thoughts of WSH being close to them for the division as they locked down their offense. The defense is averaging 4 sacks and 5 QB hits a game which is a problem for any opponent. 

SEA- Geno Smith has actually played decently to start the year which is something but they have only scored 43 pts. Outside of Lockett & Metcalf does anyone do anything extremely well on the rest of the roster? Seattle might be the most rudderless team in the NFC.

SF- And that is why they put all their eggs with Trey Lance. Jimmy G may be a safe option he is also a brain dead one at point as his safety show. I just can't see this team making a title run this year  with the types of mistakes he makes.

TB- Brady haters are loving every second as he looks miserable and that offense looks bad. The division is super weak and their defense is good that they should make it in, but the offense needs health and some work. Anyone know the odds on Brady retiring mid season :) 

WSH- Wentz's turnovers hurt, but they got beat by a better team. Days like yesterday bring up the question with ownership being so poor and callous and destroying much of the fanbase, how much is WSH losing in terms of homefield advantage right now? WSH is a flawed team, but a division opponent in a day like yesterday is when the fanbase of the past would've been there in full force, they said 95% capacity yesterday but it didn't look it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

What we should have learned all along and should have been enforced in week 3:  No team or coach or player is perfect. The best teams can lose, the worst teams can play good.  Players and teams improve (Jacksonville) and some get worse.  There are a LOT of variables in every game ever week.  Basically, nothing is totally predictable and fans WILL over-react to each individual game.  Some fans will also want or NEED to place blame on someone for every loss.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Kindve sick of hearing they are losing one score games due to luck/weather… it’s not a fluke anymore. 0-8 is a trend… a lot of factors outside of luck are coming into play… mostly offensive line breakdowns, defensive breakdowns and a HC who lacks feel for the game in game.

That is where I am at. I get the whole turnover luck and crap .. but the way the have lost in games against PIT, KC playoffs, MIA yesterday just asks questions of what the coaches especially have done. If we end the season the #2-3 seed or worse a wildcard I don't care about luck and outside factors, I care that you can't close.

Corta - great summary. Thanks.  Five minutes and I have a reasonable take on 32 teams.  

12 minutes ago, corta765 said:

That is where I am at. I get the whole turnover luck and crap .. but the way the have lost in games against PIT, KC playoffs, MIA yesterday just asks questions of what the coaches especially have done. If we end the season the #2-3 seed or worse a wildcard I don't care about luck and outside factors, I care that you can't close.

These are fair points.  On the other hand, every good team has some bad stats. It's not a predictor of the future, but the Bulls have to ask themselves why thus is happening. Offense or defense often has failed late in these close games.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

So far it’s looking like the AFC isn’t the “gauntlet” that most people (including myself) thought it would be. Every team we thought can stand in the Bills way either looks beatable or straight up not good.

It has been said the first four weeks are fools gold in the NFL as many teams are adjusting and finding themselves and you really don't get a true sense until mid-season. I think with teams not playing starters in preseason much it is now even more pronounced also.

So I think the AFC is still by far the stronger conference, but things may be a little more filtered out as KC//BUF still look top, BAL & MIA look like playoff teams as many though. CIN I think will turn it around, but LAC with injury may be trouble and you can't predict that. The biggest shockers may be JAX (although I was high on them heading into season), IND being not as strong, aDEN who is 2-1 but major questions, and OAK already 0-3. The whole AFCW is the best by far might have went a little too wild.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

It has been said the first four weeks are fools gold in the NFL as many teams are adjusting and finding themselves and you really don't get a true sense until mid-season. I think with teams not playing starters in preseason much it is now even more pronounced also.

So I think the AFC is still by far the stronger conference, but things may be a little more filtered out as KC//BUF still look top, BAL & MIA look like playoff teams as many though. CIN I think will turn it around, but LAC with injury may be trouble and you can't predict that. The biggest shockers may be JAX (although I was high on them heading into season), IND being not as strong, aDEN who is 2-1 but major questions, and OAK already 0-3. The whole AFCW is the best by far might have went a little too wild.

Hence why I said “so far”

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

So far it’s looking like the AFC isn’t the “gauntlet” that most people (including myself) thought it would be. Every team we thought can stand in the Bills way either looks beatable or straight up not good.

I was kind of freaking out in the offseason.  The AFC looked so formidable w/ all of the good QB's.  

Not that things are set, but 3 weeks in, it still looks like the Bills & Chiefs, then everyone else. The AFCW is nowhere near the juggernaut that people thought, and teams like the Bengals & Colts are very beatable. 

It's not that I don't respect what Miami has done so far, but it's kind of smoke & mirrors. They could easily be 1-2, and don't see them being a challenge in the long run this year.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Kindve sick of hearing they are losing one score games due to luck/weather… it’s not a fluke anymore. 0-8 is a trend… a lot of factors outside of luck are coming into play… mostly offensive line breakdowns, defensive breakdowns and a HC who lacks feel for the game in game.

You are one of the better posters here, don’t stop, we need more critical analysis. 0-8 isn’t a fluke, it’s a feature. 

AFC 

Chiefs are definitely a step below what they were last year.  They, like the Bills, lost a fluky game to a team they are better than, but that Offense is not the explosive Chiefs Offense of years past. 

Chargers can't be taken seriously for the time being.  So much talent, yet they keep losing big games and randomly have games like this one against the Jags.

Jags/T-Law may be a Playoff team in the AFC South.

No idea what Miami is.  They are 3-0, and clearly a good team, but also kind of feel like a house of cards.  2-0 in games they were dominated in...

AFCW was hilariously overrated.  Raiders are a joke, Chargers are still the Chargers and the Broncos are the worst 2-1 team I've ever seen.   Still the Chiefs division. 

AFCN looks like the Ravens Division unless Cinci figures out how to protect Burrow.  Browns could be dangerous if they stay afloat until Watson comes back. 

BILLS

Way too many injuries.  It's not sustainable and there really isn't a solution.  Happens during the toughest part of our schedule and they've got to find a way to gut through it.  

Allen dependence is absurd.  Coaches rely way too much on him in tough games.  No running game, yet again.

Speaking of running game.. More James Cook.  I don't care if he's skinny and can't block... Singletary missed a block that led to a turnover anyway.  Nine catches for Singletary who did the least with them.  Give those to Cook.  Enough with Moss... Singletary lead back, rotate in Cook heavier and heavier if he shows he can handle it. 

Coaching.  The good.. McDermott had a depleted team READY.  They outplayed Miami and the Defense was really good.  The bad.. Lack of game feel.  Rushing 3 on 3rd and long in deep shot territory was so, sooo bad.  Kicking a FG up 3 on 4th and 4 just felt off.  At that point it felt like a TD ends it and a FG just keeps it the same game.   

Also, why - when we were aware of the heat - did we not have a WR6 active?  We rolled into the game with 4.5 WR's as Davis clearly was not healthy.  Kumerow goes down early.  By the end of the game Allen is out there with 3 backup OL, a backup TE and WR's having to come off the field every play.  

Losing so many close games in a row isn't bad luck.  It's a problem.  And it's a very valid criticism of this team.. until it's not anymore.

The Baltimore game is pretty big.  We are a beat up team at 2-1, in a wildly competitive AFC and at KC still looms before the bye.  We went from feeling unbeatable to dragging ourselves to the bye week.  

Bottom Line... we have to get healthy.  No team can withstand what we're going through right now.  And Allen needs help.  He's the best player in the NFL, on a roster everyone agrees is the best (when healthy) in the NFL... How he continually is relied upon to be everything for us is beyond me.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.