Zach Moss must be another Hall of Famer practice player

extrahammer

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Maybe because the coaches forgot more about football than you'll ever know?

You seem to take this personally. I acknowledged I'm not a coach. That doesn't mean I don't have any football IQ dude. The guy hasn't been a playmaker so if you are a coach and all you have is practice performance as an excuse why he's on the field, that's called ignorance. He doesn't really offer much as a change of pace back. He's basically the same size as Singletary. Even in his limited role he's turned the ball over a lot. 

Maybe you can enlighten us about his practices Mr. Snide? 

Edited by extrahammer

29 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Not taking away blame on our coaches yesterday, but how has he earned his place as the change of pace back in this offense? It doesn't make sense to me. Where are the results? Yesterday was his best game because of a 43 yard run? He's been here 3 years and he fumbled in Week 1 too. 

By doing well in year one, fighting through an injury last year and by winning the coaches' confidence.

The long run yesterday can't have hurt.

And the blame yesterday should be spread around. The coaches get their share but most was on flukes, horrendous weather and injuries. The players get some but that happens in situations that abnormal and unhealthy. The coaches get a bit but their share yesterday was not that large.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

By doing well in year one, fighting through an injury last year and by winning the coaches' confidence.

The long run yesterday can't have hurt.

And the blame yesterday should be spread around. The coaches get their share but most was on flukes, horrendous weather and injuries. The players get some but that happens in situations that abnormal and unhealthy. The coaches get a bit but their share yesterday was not that large.

I'm not blaming Moss for the loss, but I am confused after 3 years why he continues to get opportunities and not make the most of them. I totally understand a lot of people here get excited that a 3rd year change of pace RB finally had a run more than 30 yards, but I don't when I consider all of our skill positions. His 3 other carries yesterday resulted in 1 yard each.

My point is he doesn't add any real contributions or talent to this offense. 

22 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

You seem to take this personally. I acknowledged I'm not a coach. That doesn't mean I don't have any football IQ dude. The guy hasn't been a playmaker so if you are a coach and all you have is practice performance as an excuse why he's on the field, that's called ignorance. He doesn't really offer much as a change of pace back. He's basically the same size as Singletary. Even in his limited role he's turned the ball over a lot. 

Maybe you can enlighten us about his practices Mr. Snide? 

It's called ignorance that as a coach you have extra information and you use it? Um, no. It's called ignorance if you don't have that information and think you know more than the people who do have it.

He's more of a hammer and a short yardage back than Singletary. And three turnovers over three years isn't statistically significant with his volume. 

7 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

I'm not blaming Moss for the loss, but I am confused after 3 years why he continues to get opportunities and not make the most of them. I totally understand a lot of people here get excited that a 3rd year change of pace RB finally had a run more than 30 yards, but I don't when I consider all of our skill positions. His 3 other carries yesterday resulted in 1 yard each.

My point is he doesn't add any real contributions or talent to this offense. 

They think you're wrong. So do I.

And it doesn't really make sense that he hasn't added any contributions. He managed 4.3 YPC as a rookie. That shows a guy who can contribute. So does 78 yards in 13 attempts this year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's more of a hammer and a short yardage back than Singletary. And three turnovers over three years isn't statistically significant with his volume. 

They think you're wrong. So do I.

And it doesn't really make sense that he hasn't added any contributions. He managed 4.3 YPC as a rookie. That shows a guy who can contribute.

Great so we're still waiting after 3 years for his potential to develop and ignoring the fact he regressed from 4.3 ypc to 3.6 last year. If you take away his 43 yard run yesterday, he's been averaging less than 3 ypc this year. 

But I get your point, Peterman was a hall of famer in practice too. 

• extrahammer changed the title to Zach Moss must be another Hall of Famer practice player
57 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Not taking away blame on our coaches yesterday, but how has he earned his place as the change of pace back in this offense? It doesn't make sense to me. Where are the results? Yesterday was his best game because of a 43 yard run? He's been here 3 years and he fumbled in Week 1 too. 

Zack Moss is too slow and anyone who follows this team has seen that from Day 1. 

That whole "business decisions" nonsense, the guy is not bigger than your average NFL RB. 

When Allen was desperately searching for anyone that could make a play, James Cook had some nice snaps. But he doesn't play because McDermott doesn't play rookies over worn-out vets, see Singletary/Gore, John Brown/Emmanuel Sanders/Gabe Davis, Isaiah McKenzie vs Cole Beasley.

Cook has more juice, but McDermott is insistent on the "physicality". 

And yes I know McKenzie was not a rookie last year. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, extrahammer said:

Great so we're still waiting after 3 years for his potential to develop and ignoring the fact he regressed from 4.3 ypc to 3.6 last year. If you take away his 43 yard run yesterday, he's been averaging less than 3 ypc this year. 

But I get your point, Peterman was a hall of famer in practice too. 

He was injured last year. 

And if you take away the best 10% or so of their runs, nearly every RB will have much worse stats. You don't take away his best run. You look at what he's done. All of it.

And the Peterman comparison is genuinely stupid. Moss has already had one good year and now a start of another one.

Moss has the longest run, set us up nice in Fins territory. other than that didn't think Singletary or Cook looked much better than him. Pretty uninspired run game. But then again the whole Oline except Dawkins was out & we had a 3rd string center, that didn't help. I'm still waiting to see that speed from Cook, I've heard so much about, he's been kind of disappointing so far for a 2nd round pick, but it's super early yet. 

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Because Singletary is a JAG and James Cook is a rookie who has to earn his playing time.  

Bigger issue is our run blocking and run scheme.  We're a pass-centric offense, it is what it is, but the issues seem more related to the OL. 

Singletary is a very good back. Not elite, or close. But very solid. The guy has put up 4.7 YPC despite running behind OLs with issues for a lot of his time here. When the OL came around late last year Singletary was able to show himself as the very good back that he is.

And you're right about the OL. This is a new scheme and the OL had very little time to gel this preseason with injuries. Joe B. took a look at yards before contact for Bills RBs this year and found they're getting hit very very early. The OL is having problems. Hopefully things will get better as the year proceeds.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

He was injured last year. 

And if you take away the best 10% or so of their runs, nearly every RB will have much worse stats. You don't take away his best run. You look at what he's done. All of it.

And the Peterman comparison is genuinely stupid. Moss has already had one good year and now a start of another one.

Injury excuses as benefit of the doubt are genuinely stupid, but hey, with that logic why not go ahead and give him a 4 year extension. Maybe after he's given 1,000 opportunities he'll finally show some contributions.

When you look at his career total, he's regressed in this offense every year and he doesn't offer anything that we don't already have. Singletary runs better between the tackles than he does. But you're right, I'm not a football coach, lol. 

Just now, Donuts and Doritos said:

Moss has the longest run, set us up nice in Fins territory. other than that didn't think Singletary or Cook looked much better than him. Pretty uninspired run game. But then again the whole Oline except Dawkins was out & we had a 3rd string center, that didn't help. I'm still waiting to see that speed from Cook, I've heard so much about, he's been kind of disappointing so far for a 2nd round pick, but it's super early yet. 

If today they just made James Cook the starter, I think this run game gets better just for fact they picked a guy.

I think he could get you 50 yards/game on the ground. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Injury excuses as benefit of the doubt are genuinely stupid, but hey, with that logic why not go ahead and give him a 4 year extension. Maybe after he's given 1,000 opportunities he'll finally show some contributions.

When you look at his career total, he's regressed in this offense every year and he doesn't offer anything that we don't already have. Singletary runs better between the tackles than he does. But you're right, I'm not a football coach, lol. 

People who ignore information are genuinely stupid. Particularly when that information that has a very real effect on the question you're looking at. Injuries do.

And you have to ignore reality to say that Moss has regressed every year. A guy who is running at a 6.0 YPC pace right now behind an OL that is not blocking the run well is not suffering from regression. You're acting as if your opinion is a fact here. And it's not even a particularly good opinion in this case.

He does offer something Singletary doesn't. Power in short yardage situations. The fact you don't see it says more about you than about Moss. You don't like him? Fine, whatever. We all like and dislike different players for different reasons. But that doesn't mean ignoring a lot of things about him makes any sense.

Edited by Thurman#1

I'm just not as anti-Moss (or any of our RBs) as many seem to be.

Our O-line is a poor run-blocking unit as it is, and injuries compound that weakness even more. 

Until the Bills really invest in the O-line & commit to running the ball through even one game, I can't really draw many conclusions about Moss, even if he looks bad on a handful of carries

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

People who ignore information are genuinely stupid. Particularly when that information that has a very real effect on the question you're looking at. Injuries do.

And you have to ignore reality to say that Moss has regressed every year. A guy who is running at a 6.0 YPC pace right now behind an OL that is not blocking the run well is not suffering from regression. You're acting as if your opinion is a fact here. And it's not even a particularly good opinion in this case.

And a guy who has 

Clearly you're a guy who doesn't look at nuances or details. Oh wow, 6 yards per carry even though more than half of them came on one carry, lol... let's revisit this thread at the end of the season and see if he keeps that up. Looking at his pattern of play, I definitely don't believe he will.

At this point, he's taking carries away from our two best playmakers at the RB position. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.