Kudos to Defense - The Offense is What Failed

BuffaloBaumer

Blame the heat, the injuries, the drops, the missed, fgs, the off-throws by Allen, but nobody better be blaming the defense for a second. This also brings into the conversation that McDermott has his hands all over this defense and the schemes they come up with every week.  He is regarded as arguably the best defensive coach in the game. The offense failed yesterday and there is no reason to look any further.

This offense is the best in the NFL by a mile and obviously the heat played a big factor into decision making, speed, and flat-out exhaustion. Look at the other teams in the AFC yesterday and how they lost. As soon as these guys are even 75% healthy, there is nothing that can stop them. A 2 point loss in Miami, in that heat, with those types of injuries, with a chance to win in the last minute? How they almost pulled that off is a miracle to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Granted, the defense played waaaaay better than anyone had any right to expect and the offense did have a lot more mistakes. The defense did have a few blunders though.  Milano dropping a pick 6 and needlessly pushing Tua down drawing a flag certainly made a difference. Giving up a first on 3rd and forever late in the game also played a role in our defeat. I blame Frazer for that one as we only rushed 3 but still it was a critical down where we had everything going for us and we blew it. 

• Like (+1) 1

The offense is the best in the NFL by a mile, because of Josh Allen.  That's not even debatable.  So I'll give him a break for an errant throw here and there.  I mean even when he makes plays at the end of games to tie or win (i.e. Tampa last year, 13 seconds..) the great McD/Frazier defense blows it.  

Yesterday was just one of those stupid games...like Jacksonville last year.  As a matter of fact, our last 3 games in Florida have been crushing losses.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Blame the heat, the injuries, the drops, the missed, fgs, the off-throws by Allen, but nobody better be blaming the defense for a second. This also brings into the conversation that McDermott has his hands all over this defense and the schemes they come up with every week.  He is regarded as arguably the best defensive coach in the game. The offense failed yesterday and there is no reason to look any further.

This offense is the best in the NFL by a mile and obviously the heat played a big factor into decision making, speed, and flat-out exhaustion. Look at the other teams in the AFC yesterday and how they lost. As soon as these guys are even 75% healthy, there is nothing that can stop them. A 2 point loss in Miami, in that heat, with those types of injuries, with a chance to win in the last minute? How they almost pulled that off is a miracle to begin with. 

And the defenses success was in no small part due to the offense running 90 plays and having 41 minutes of TOP. The offense accomplished what was it's number one goal yesterday - protect the defense by controlling TOP.  The problem, and why over time this game will be viewed as a fluke in which a number of bad things happened simultaneously to the Bills O, was that the Bills didn't convert their enormous offensive statistical accomplishments to points.

In the end the offensive injuries and heat effects neutered the Bills in the red zone.  And unlike the defense which at least had a week of practice to figure out how to handle the injuries the O lost key players in real time forcing them to scramble on the fly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Played well most of the game when they were rushing 4 and getting pressure,  Frazier blew it and cost them the lead late on that 3rd & 22 and only rushing 3. When will we see a game where our defence carries us late?  Sorry but Frazier screwed up 13 secs and again yesterday let TUA make a huge play playing conservative football.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Played well most of the game when they were rushing 4 and getting pressure,  Frazier blew it and cost them the lead late on that 3rd & 22 and only rushing 3. When will we see a game where our defence carries us late?  Sorry but Frazier screwed up 13 secs and again yesterday let TUA make a huge play playing conservative football.

Only rushing 3 when your secondary has been decimated by injuries defies logic.  The last thing you want to do in that situation is give the opposing QB time to find the hole in the coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

This was one of the first times I can recall where having possession for that long was actually a bad thing. I seriously feared someone on the o-line was going to collapse and die on the field. 

It was like the old Ali rope-a-dope where let your opponent pound the hell out of you body but tighten up to block any knockout.  That long drive in Q3  was too long, our o line man were gassed, toward the end receivers couldn't barely catch ball all exacerbated by the heat.  I always thought it was the offensives advantage to be on the field longer unless you are in the blazing sun.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

For sure that was the 1 major blunder of the day

Before the 3rd and 22 play I was expecting them to bring the pass rush and put the hammer down but I was disappointed once again by the lack of situational awareness in the defensive play call at that moment.  Situation being, you've got them down, now put them out, and don't hang out your 3rd string secondary.    

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not blaming anybody.  I've never seen an NFL team as ravaged by injuries as I witnessed yesterday.

There was a point we had about 20 guys down, and it was absolutely shocking that we kept the game that close.

Losing Mitch Morse prompted multiple bad snaps, costing us at least 3 points.  It also forced us into shotgun later in the game, which limited us in the Red Zone.  Then we lost Spencer Brown to heat stroke.  Then our backup center Greg Van Roten.  Then Ryan Bates.  One more injury and we would have been playing a Tight End or Fullback at one of the Guard/Tackle spots.  And that's just the O-Line.

It was clear Gabriel Davis wasn't anywhere near ready to play, and probably should have sat.  On the first drive, we lost his backup Jake Kumerow to an ankle injury.  That pretty much destroyed our ability to stretch the field.  Then Dawson Knox got hurt.  As the game wore on, Stefon Diggs and Isaiah McKenzie were constantly going down.  On much of the final drive, Josh had nobody to throw to but Quinton Morris and the running backs.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

We're 1-7 when I think when Allen throws more the 49 times.  Heard it on a podcast this morning. Gotta get a little more balance than that. Not a lot of running but some running. Gotta get the o line eating. 

Stats like that are so incredibly misleading/useless....along the same vein when team A runs for over 180 yards they win 90% of the time.  There is a cause and effect statistically, not every instance but statistically.  Correlation versus causation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.