Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

It seemed like the Dolphins were much less affected, at least to me. Maybe it was the shade on their side allowing them to cool off a bit. 

Heat tolerance is an individual thing. I have no idea how Allen lasted the whole game without having issues. He was obviously gassed by the end when he one hopped the ball to Mackenzie in the end zone on 4th down. 

I really worried about the big men who weight 300+ pounds and have all that gear on and have to maul (or be mauled by) another 300+ pound man every play. 

Allen was clearly having issues. He was one of 5 players kneeling in exhaustion at one point. By the end he could barely keep his head up.

It was from the heat and humidity. It wasn't because he was just tired from playing football. That's how Allen plays every single week and he usually is fine.

Also, he missed the pass to McKenzie because he hurt his throwing hand. He hit it on a helmet or facemask before that play. He received x-rays after the game.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Glad you are ok. Agree with others. I dont see the NFL doing anything. They only care about money and TV. It took Korey Stringer's death to get water at training camp. Probably would take another death on the field for a TV schedule change.

Then it would only be to try to save their ratings.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When it was -6 last year in the Wild Card game, how many players were dropping like flies and unable to play?

Quick google search will show extreme cold is more deadly then extreme heat.

Second extreme cold creates a surface equivalent to concrete and creates far more injuries'. I get Bills fans are butt hurt because of the weather but both teams played in it and last year the conditions were not much different the Bills just won so no one cared.

• Dislike 1

Just now, corta765 said:

Quick google search will show extreme cold is more deadly then extreme heat.

Second extreme cold creates a surface equivalent to concrete and creates far more injuries'. I get Bills fans are butt hurt because of the weather but both teams played in it and last year the conditions were not much different the Bills just won so no one cared.

How many players dropped on the field because of the cold last year in the Wild Card game?  How many players injured in the Wild Card game?

The majority of the players were not even wearing long sleeves.

We had players unable to play due to heat exhaustion.

Also no, the conditions were significantly different.  It was in the high 70's by half time and it was a cloudy day with much more shade.

image.thumb.png.f755671ab99f7c74e71ac58d0754a0ca.pngimage.thumb.png.678610c99719191be4a264faea3fec4b.png

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How many players dropped on the field because of the cold last year in the Wild Card game?  How many players injured in the Wild Card game?

The majority of the players were not even wearing long sleeves.

We had players unable to play due to heat exhaustion.

Also no, the conditions were significantly different.  It was in the high 70's by half time and it was a cloudy day with much more shade.

Every game is different and circumstantial. My general point is the cold impacts far more then the heat and like I said its backed globally of which of the two is more dangerous. The Pats game was over at half time, the game yesterday game down to the final second so guys were spent to the max whereas the playoff game wasn't even close.

Additionally 2020 was even hotter then 21 or 22:

http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2020/week-2/bills-at-dolphins

21 game:

http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2021/week-2/bills-at-dolphins

22 game:

http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2022/week-3/bills-at-dolphins

21 and 22 are very much the same the difference is what happens when you have games that are not a blow out and teams playing right to the buzzer. People from the south will tell you how northers react to heat and activity is wayy different then they do as they are use to it. This is Miami's advantage the same way we have ours with the cold and they think we are insane and unbearable for that and do not understand how people last in that.

Never in my life did I think I would see a football game have fans throw the weather excuse because of the sun. Both teams played in it and had to make due the same conditions. The same happens up here when its frozen at -1 and you can't move half your body. If people are actually going to start saying that the league shouldn't play in Sunday's conditions the exact will be said about playing in the North when it gets insanely cold. It is why I fine people crying about it to be incredibly annoying and weak. You don't have to sit and watch, both teams are playing in it, and your not complaining when it is our turn come winter.

This is also why some people now say all teams should have domes so this isn't an issue across the board if your actually concerned about health.

• Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Every game is different and circumstantial. My general point is the cold impacts far more then the heat and like I said its backed globally of which of the two is more dangerous. The Pats game was over at half time, the game yesterday game down to the final second so guys were spent to the max whereas the playoff game wasn't even close.

Additionally 2020 was even hotter then 21 or 22:

http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2020/week-2/bills-at-dolphins

21 game:

http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2021/week-2/bills-at-dolphins

22 game:

http://www.nflweather.com/en/game/2022/week-3/bills-at-dolphins

21 and 22 are very much the same the difference is what happens when you have games that are not a blow out and teams playing right to the buzzer. People from the south will tell you how northers react to heat and activity is wayy different then they do as they are use to it. This is Miami's advantage the same way we have ours with the cold and they think we are insane and unbearable for that and do not understand how people last in that.

Never in my life did I think I would see a football game have fans throw the weather excuse because of the sun. Both teams played in it and had to make due the same conditions. The same happens up here when its frozen at -1 and you can't move half your body. If people are actually going to start saying that the league shouldn't play in Sunday's conditions the exact will be said about playing in the North when it gets insanely cold. It is why I fine people crying about it to be incredibly annoying and weak. You don't have to sit and watch, both teams are playing in it, and your not complaining when it is our turn come winter.

This is also why some people now say all teams should have domes so this isn't an issue across the board if your actually concerned about health.

I'm going to trust an actual weather website over NFLWeather.com.  It was in the 70's and mostly cloudy by half time.

The Dolphins had shade on the sidelines, we didn't.  It was designed that way. 

Quit avoiding the question.  How many players in the WC game were unable to finish the game because of the cold?  How many players were thoroughly exhausted by the cold?  If the cold is that bad to them, why are players not wearing long sleeve thermals?  That's the difference.  We had players who physically couldn't play in the game Sunday because the sun beat them down all game.  

I've played in both extreme heat and extreme cold.  Cold sucks but heat shuts you down.  I've had heat exhaustion and your body won't allow you to move anymore once you get there.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

for those with a burning interest:  https://pedclerk.uchicago.edu/sites/pedclerk.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/heat.pdf.  "Heat stroke is now the 3rd leading cause of death in athletes behind cardiac disorders and head and neck injuries"

You can't practice/play in the state of Georgia outside if its above 92 degrees or something like that.  Several deaths due to heat related issues.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Quit avoiding the question.  How many players in the WC game were unable to finish the game because of the cold?  How many players were thoroughly exhausted by the cold?  If the cold is that bad to them, why are players not wearing long sleeve thermals?  That's the difference.  We had players who physically couldn't play in the game Sunday because the sun beat them down all game.  

I've played in both extreme heat and extreme cold.  Cold sucks but heat shuts you down.  I've had heat exhaustion and your body won't allow you to move anymore once you get there.

I answered the question that there wasn't many players out and the game was over at half. The game Sunday went to the buzzer. Virtually any game played that hard will see players like that and the sun 100% amplified that. On the flipside the prior year with very similar conditions there was nothing like that because the game again was a blow out.

I could really care less about your playing experience the same as you would care about mine. Were nobodies are opinion doesn't matter in that regard.

My main point stands that both teams play in the same conditions and the fact fans have this stupid excuse is insane. We lost and blew a chance, it is what it is. Were not going to agree on this which is fine, you and I have never had a beef so no reason to.

There is a real conversation to be had about player safety not only with heat and cold but especially field conditions in places like WSH or CHI.

• Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I answered the question that there wasn't many players out and the game was over at half. The game Sunday went to the buzzer. Virtually any game played that hard will see players like that and the sun 100% amplified that. On the flipside the prior year with very similar conditions there was nothing like that because the game again was a blow out.

I could really care less about your playing experience the same as you would care about mine. Were nobodies are opinion doesn't matter in that regard.

My main point stands that both teams play in the same conditions and the fact fans have this stupid excuse is insane. We lost and blew a chance, it is what it is. Were not going to agree on this which is fine, you and I have never had a beef so no reason to.

There is a real conversation to be had about player safety not only with heat and cold but especially field conditions in places like WSH or CHI.

we don't see many deaths from nordic events like cross country skiing in extreme cold.  people die from mountain climbing but for different reasons...

Edited by redtail hawk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.