Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

I teach anatomy and physiology.  During the second half I texted my daughter that I just hoped no one would die.  And I was serious.

When you have guys the size of NFL player in full equipment in that heat, they are going to get dehydrated very quickly, and their electrolytes get messed up.  And especially if potassium gets affected, it can lead to serious cardiac events.

The amount of fluid in guys this size is just very hard to replace.  You try to hydrate all week of course, but you’re not in the heat and such so the body would do what it normally does and excrete excess fluid.  Under the conditions yesterday, even with IV fluids it would be hard to replace fluid and electrolytes as quickly as they were being lost.  I think part of why we lost is some guys were just not capable of normal physical and mental function.  Same would go for the Fish of course, but they did have shade to help cool down a bit more.

i don’t think the game itself will affect the season much; we are still clearly the better team.  But if I were a trainer or on the medical staff of both teams I’d be in the league’s face to get protection for these conditions.  They’ll never tell the public but I suspect there were players yesterday on the edge of really serious complications.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I teach anatomy and physiology.  During the second half I texted my daughter that I just hoped no one would die.  And I was serious.

When you have guys the size of NFL player in full equipment in that heat, they are going to get dehydrated very quickly, and their electrolytes get messed up.  And especially if potassium gets affected, it can lead to serious cardiac events.

The amount of fluid in guys this size is just very hard to replace.  You try to hydrate all week of course, but you’re not in the heat and such so the body would do what it normally does and excrete excess fluid.  Under the conditions yesterday, even with IV fluids it would be hard to replace fluid and electrolytes as quickly as they were being lost.  I think part of why we lost is some guys were just not capable of normal physical and mental function.  Same would go for the Fish of course, but they did have shade to help cool down a bit more.

i don’t think the game itself will affect the season much; we are still clearly the better team.  But if I were a trainer or on the medical staff of both teams I’d be in the league’s face to get protection for these conditions.  They’ll never tell the public but I suspect there were players yesterday on the edge of really serious complications.

Please note that the NFL's concern for player and fan safety is such that the Eagles/Commanders game was halted for 8 full minutes because there was a drone flying above the stadium...the announcers assured us that the stoppage was entirely necessary to ensure the safety of the fans and players.  The world has gone mad.  

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

When players were cramping all over the field they should have paused the game and allowed rehydration.  Much more dangerous situation for more players than lightning

This isn’t rocket science. 
Just allow teams to have several misting shade tents on the sidelines. 
If fans start complaining about obstructed views, don’t sell those tickets. 
Nfl makes a kajillion dollars from TV. If Miami makes a few less $$ on tix to ensure optimal play, wtf cares except Dolphins. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember being in direct sunlight when the Broncos came to Buffalo back in 2017 for a late September game. It was a hot one for Buffalo, I think the temp broke 90, might have even been a record or at least close if I remember correctly. The direct sun was almost unbearable. I came away with a gnarly sunburn (despite much suncreen and hat) and it just wasn't the best experience. This was barely 90 degrees with a maybe 70 degree dewpoint with direct sun, so I can't even imagine if you dial that up another 10 degrees with more humidity. 

The NFL also seems to love their extreme weather games with Buffalo/Miami. Just knock it off, this isn't pro wrestling and you don't really need the weather drama. Both teams are good again, try giving them an environment neutral game for once.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, corta765 said:

Is there a Softest Thread of the Year Award? This would be the winner by a country mile.

Totally bro. I like my games at a cool 99 degrees like a real tough guy should. Perfect temp for me to pour whiskey all over my shirtless lizard skin while curling cinder blocks oh yeah

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is true.

But the reality is that the Dolphins and teams that live in that heat have to condition better just to play in it.

I watch tons of college football played in the south and those games go on for 4 hours regularly and the players don't drop like flies the way we saw the Bills doing yesterday.    

I don't think conditioning is a strength of the Bills team because their sports science probably tells them not to push players that hard..........because it results in greater chance of injury.

That is the trade off.   The Bills have had a very healthy team in terms of the controllable soft-tissue type of injuries but they are not built to be on the field for 40 minutes of the game on either side of the ball.   We saw it in the divisional game vs KC when the defense was totally gassed at the end.   

You could argue that their approach leads to a lot of dominant performances but also that it hurts them in battles of attrition.........which is coincidentally what a lot of these 1 score losses have been.    Hell, they were gassed in Jacksonville last year.    Who are we kidding that this Miami game was just some kind of outrageous outlier weather wise?

^^^ THIS ^^^

I used to pull tobacco in Carolina heat every August on the family farm. It’s absolutely brutal, but you get accustomed to physically exhausting labor in 90°+ heat in full sun and no breeze after early morning thunderstorms. You get conditioned to it, but anyone who isn’t wilts after an hour or two. It’s even worse in the barns which are just as humid but 120°+. There’s a reason why most of those farmers hire migrant workers to work those fields…. Most Americans don’t want to do that work, but that brutal farm work is also a reason why Allen usually performs well in those conditions. 

In any case, those Miami advantages disappear later in the season and into the playoffs. The Dolphins have no way to prepare for Buffalo weather from November through the playoffs. They cannot acclimate to snow, sleet, freezing rain, sub-zero temps, or the ice cold moisture filled lake wind. It evens out, but for the sake of fairness and health it probably would be a good idea for the league to schedule the first game in B-lo and the second in Miami. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Dolphins drop this Bengals game due to carryover exhaustion. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

I used to pull tobacco in Carolina heat every August on the family farm. It’s absolutely brutal, but you get accustomed to physically exhausting labor in 90°+ heat in full sun and no breeze after early morning thunderstorms. You get conditioned to it, but anyone who isn’t wilts after an hour or two. It’s even worse in the barns which are just as humid but 120°+. There’s a reason why most of those farmers hire migrant workers to work those fields…. Most Americans don’t want to do that work, but that brutal farm work is also a reason why Allen usually performs well in those conditions. 

In any case, those Miami advantages disappear later in the season and into the playoffs. The Dolphins have no way to prepare for Buffalo weather from November through the playoffs. They cannot acclimate to snow, sleet, freezing rain, sub-zero temps, or the ice cold moisture filled lake wind. It evens out, but for the sake of fairness and health it probably would be a good idea for the league to schedule the first game in B-lo and the second in Miami. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Dolphins drop this Bengals game due to carryover exhaustion. 

Yes you can get accustomed to it to some degree but only by being in it regularly. The Bills have no ability to do that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I didn’t see any misting fans on the sideline, did I miss that on TV?

Looked like they had some equipment guys holding up some sort of tarp shade things that were way worse then my daughters soccer teams have, was I seeing that right?

Do you have a good point there I did not see any misting fans on the sideline for the bills you would think that they would be out there given the heat as a safety measure all I saw were some pop-up tents like the ones we used to use for Pop Warner football whenever we went to the field

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, mannc said:

Please note that the NFL's concern for player and fan safety is such that the Eagles/Commanders game was halted for 8 full minutes because there was a drone flying above the stadium...the announcers assured us that the stoppage was entirely necessary to ensure the safety of the fans and players.  The world has gone mad.  

Can’t have someone recording/broadcasting the action without the express written consent of the NFL!

20 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

Exactly , I made. Post about this issue in another thread.  Heat illness can and has caused football player deaths numerous times over the years. They are so concerned over Tua and the concussion protocol, yet lives were placed at risk in those conditions yesterday.  The product on the field was impacted negatively and I think we will see some with lingering effects. Theee is no excuse for not changing no time of that game until later knowing on field+temps were researching 120 degrees reportedly.   This is a bad look for the NFL , and as they set trends and are watched by high schools etc, playing that game as if players just have to suck it up and play as some sign of toughness is outdated and wrong. 

Glad to hear you are recovering ! Best wishes ! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 hours ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Was there also. 89 degrees and 77 degree dew point. Crazy hot. Fortunately we were under the overhangs in the stadium. 

It was almost 120 on the field. Also...the discrepancy is significant. The phins sideline is entirely shaded...the visitors is in the direct sun all day. That's some real bull#### and is by design.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

yes, grizzled Va and NC tobacco farmers never end up hospitalized for heat exhaustion/stroke...🤨

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yes you can get accustomed to it to some degree but only by being in it regularly. The Bills have no ability to do that

The Bills have no ability to do that?  Half of the team literally lives in South Florida.    Have you been in Florida in June and July when the players are off?    The conditioning issue is not just about acclimation.   There is a choice aspect to it.   The Bills don't push thru the heat in camp either........they take it easy on the hotter days.   That is part of their plan for preserving players thru the season.   The least surprising thing at all was seeing Spencer Brown leave the game gassed.   Dude had hardly practiced before the opener.   I'm not saying the Bills are lax in camp but there is sometimes a trade-off for not being as physically fit as your competition.   The Dolphins were in the shade but their D was on the field for 40 minutes and 90 plays and they were still playing like it was the second quarter at the end.    HUGE difference in conditioning.   It's just harder to play football in that heat so regular work in camp does the trick.    You want to be better prepared coming from a northern climate you have to work a little harder than that or put in that kind of training in June/July.   It's possible but it's not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

Totally bro. I like my games at a cool 99 degrees like a real tough guy should. Perfect temp for me to pour whiskey all over my shirtless lizard skin while curling cinder blocks oh yeah

Cool so when it is zero degrees we are canceling games here too right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.