Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

33 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yesterday was the first time watching a game I was concerned for the players lives. That looked unbearable and I was seriously worried at the end. I know the NFL won't do anything and kudos to Miami for taking advantage of the home field, but that was scary

I agree with this.  Miami won the game.  Its over.  Fair and square.  All that...

But watching the game was gross.  Players going down every play with cramps.  They looked ill.  Some were removed with heat illness.  It was unsettling to watch, a bit scary, not unlike watching someone get concussed (which also happened and the player miraculously returned).

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Yes it was, just the angle of the sun not the new roof.

So there was just as much shade on the home side of the field prior to roof canopy?  Not sure how that is possible when looking at how larger the canopy is, but there is no way for me to say otherwise, so I will move on. 

14 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Is there a Softest Thread of the Year Award? This would be the winner by a country mile.

If there was an ignorant post of the year award this would win in a landslide.

Pretty much the equivalent of saying guys who don't play through concussions are pansies and soft.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If shade was really the difference between 20+ players suffering from medical issues or not, then I would have expected our staff to know this and take every possible measure to do something about it and petition the league as well as the competition committee. Seems like a very solvable problem, and it's not like it's the first time we've played in Miami or the first time Miami has been hot.

I don’t see sidelines from the visiting side with multiple tents.  There must be a rule for it.

Tasker is on WGR and said its never been that hot in Miami for a game he’s been to.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t see sidelines from the visiting side with multiple tents.  There must be a rule for it.

Tasker is on WGR and said its never been that hot in Miami for a game he’s been to.

There are. Both teams have to agree to anything like that. For obvious reasons the Dolphins were not agreeing to it.

Similar situation for competitive balance where if one team has headset issues the other team can't use theirs until it gets fixed.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

The US Army, at least as far back as 1988, would modify training based on a heat index.  Still, you would see heat exhaustion occasionally - soldiers getting dizzy, losing coordination, even getting listless.  Include headache and nausea as common symptoms.  Even in the days before red card and coddling, the ARMY took heat conditions very seriously.

In my opinion, this was the case yesterday with many of the players right on the edge - motor skills, strength, cognitive, all being challenged.  Allen's throw into the turf on the missed TD likely doesn't happen unless he's totally gassed.  Maybe Davis make the football move and maybe Milano has better focus and intercepts the ball.  Who knows............   I'm rather surprised that the heat management solutions aren't better - even for the visiting team.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

When temperatures get like that why can’t they have a mandatory 5-10 minute water break every quarter? Soccer does it and they don’t have to wear football gear. Luckily no one got heatstroke.   

Offensive players get to drink when they are on the sidelines. Same for the defense. From what I've read, they get a 2 minute break at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters. They also get roughly 12 minutes for halftime. Each team has 3 timeouts per half. They have plenty of time for water breaks. 

I lived in MN when the Vikings' Korey Stringer died of heat stroke during a muggy summer training camp.

So I guess this hits home a bit for me.

The NFL has done some things, but needs to do more. I love the game, but where they can make changes that protect players without killing the game... why not?

Folks easily forget:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2529508-korey-stringers-sacrifice-and-the-battle-to-stop-football-heat-stroke-deaths

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

A guy at work was at the game, talked to him this morning and he said luckily he was in the shade most of the game because he wouldn't have made it otherwise...said it was so hot and humid, it was the most uncomfortable he has ever been weather wise.

They were playing with WR sets of James Cook, Reggie Gilliam and Quentin Morris in the 4th quarter...and still moving the ball well...it was pretty crazy.

They were moving the ball well because Josh Allen is a beast.    His ability to buy time, break down defenses and (usually) make incredible throws to areas of the field that can't be defended makes some players look a lot better than they are.   

Josh runs A LOT more than John Elway but there is a similarity between this receiving corps and the one Elway had in the 80's with Steve Watson, Vance Johnson and company..........those dudes weren't very good but Elway elevated them to the point where they looked good.

It's crazy that Gilliam and Morris are getting important targets in week 3 of year 5 of Josh Allen.   The receiving talent is not where you want it for a SB favorite.

It's Diggs and a grab bag at receiver.   No depth behind Knox.   They knew Gabe Davis had a history of performance limiting foot problems and inconsistent play and had subsequently failed to put together a full season of 600 yards or more.......yet but they brought in no competition.    They retained Dirty on the cheap and now they are so desperate for speed that they have to keep him on the field even though he is a mental error waiting to explode every time the ball comes his way.

Allen has too much on his shoulders,  plain and simple.

• Agree 2

The heat can affect you even in Buffalo. In August it was in the upper 80s and I had driven to BJ's with the window open.  Walking from the car,  I thought I was going to pass out.  Had to get something at the far corner ot the store and had to get the motorized cart or I would have face planted.  By the time i was done shopping, I was OK.

Edited by Wacka

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

So there was just as much shade on the home side of the field prior to roof canopy?  Not sure how that is possible when looking at how larger the canopy is, but there is no way for me to say otherwise, so I will move on. 

It looks that way. These are highlights from a game in 2010, five years before the canopy was put up. 

7 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

The cover definately helps everyone in the stadium except the opposing bench and the fans in the lower bowl on that side. It looked like a spotlight on the field yesterday, but probably 75-80% of the stadium was in the shade. 

Home team was covered 100% of the time and opposing team is in the sun 100% of the time.

It was nice and cool in the club seats for me, drinking vodka tonics. 

Except for the outcome of the game, it was a fun atmosphere. Most Bills fans I've ever seen at an away game. Almost 50-50 so everyone had a good time. 

NFL should mandate a cover over the opposing bench. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

Offensive players get to drink when they are on the sidelines. Same for the defense. From what I've read, they get a 2 minute break at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters. They also get roughly 12 minutes for halftime. Each team has 3 timeouts per half. They have plenty of time for water breaks. 

Should be even more Id rather a middle of the quarter water break then someone getting heatstroke.  

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He also said the reason we didn’t have the misters and fans is because Miami didn’t have them and both teams have to have the same items on the sidelines. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

The heat can affect you even in Buffalo. In August it was in the upper 80s and I had driven to BJ's with the window open.  Walking from the car,  I thought I was going to pass out.  Had to get something at the far corner ot the store and had to get the motorized cart or I would have face planted.  By the time i was done shopping, I was OK.

I was at an early season game in Buffalo with my brother and it was very hot.

I was suffering greatly and my brother and they ran out of bottled water.

My brother said he needed something for his brother was having heat stroke and was given a bag of ice used for cooling bottles to put on me.

Heat stroke is serious matter.

3 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

He also said the reason we didn’t have the misters and fans is because Miami didn’t have them and both teams have to have the same items on the sidelines. 

I guess "shade" is not an item. I would think Billi-cheat designed stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

I lived in MN when the Vikings' Korey Stringer died of heat stroke during a muggy summer training camp.

So I guess this hits home a bit for me.

The NFL has done some things, but needs to do more. I love the game, but where they can make changes that protect players without killing the game... why not?

Folks easily forget:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2529508-korey-stringers-sacrifice-and-the-battle-to-stop-football-heat-stroke-deaths

After reading this article and what we saw on the feild yesterday. The NFL should at least do an Investigation to determine if the Bills had multiple players show signs of heat exhaustion. If so, they have to do something about. Training camp heat illness management practices were updated because a player died (talked about in the article). Does a player have to die before the NFL will update in game heat illness management practices? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.