Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

Florida heat is no joke.  I live in Tampa, and I try to run 3-5 times a week.  From May-October I only run either before 9 am or after 9 pm.  If you try to run between those times you literally cant breath after a mile.

I play a lot of rec sports with my brothers.  Football games last 30 minutes max before guys start tapping out for breaks.

The Bills were banged up, depleted, and in the worst conditions they could be in.  Rex Ryan said it best this morning - the heat was the biggest factor yesterday, and the Bills are still clearly the best team in the league.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

The point/excuse about the heat has been driven home now across multiple threads. Fact is Bills weren’t prepared for it.

This exactly! They have been playing NFL games in Miami since the 70's but because the pre ordained SuperBowl champs lose a game down there, now something needs to be done. Give me a break.

1 minute ago, Cray51 said:

Florida heat is no joke.  I live in Tampa, and I try to run 3-5 times a week.  From May-October I only run either before 9 am or after 9 pm.  If you try to run between those times you literally cant breath after a mile.

I play a lot of rec sports with my brothers.  Football games last 30 minutes max before guys start tapping out for breaks.

The Bills were banged up, depleted, and in the worst conditions they could be in.  Rex Ryan said it best this morning - the heat was the biggest factor yesterday, and the Bills are still clearly the best team in the league.

Exactly…and imagine if you weighed 300 lbs and were wearing a polyester football jersey and 25 lbs of equipment…

I hope the NFLPA might look at this.  Heat exhaustion is way more dangerous than playing in cold weather, with heated benches and protective gear.    It's a player safety issue that needs to be addressed.  A 4:00 start time would go a long way toward fixing it.

Edited by Shake_My_Head

16 minutes ago, The Hub said:

This exactly! They have been playing NFL games in Miami since the 70's but because the pre ordained SuperBowl champs lose a game down there, now something needs to be done. Give me a break.

It is undeniable that temperatures have been steadily increasing over the last 40 years and also the hottest temperatures experienced during a season have been stretching later and later in the year.  Within 10-15 years I can pretty much guarantee Miami will have games delayed and/or postponed early in the year due to dangerous heat related conditions and wet bulb(measuring the combination of heat and humidity and the body's ability to cool itself properly) temperatures.  At this point it is almost unavoidable if they continue scheduling games at 1pm.  Or the NFL will have to accept player deaths and fan deaths from fans sitting out in those conditions drinking alcohol and generally not being prepared for it.  

Yesterday's game was pretty close to pushing the limit of what the human body is capable of from a cooling standpoint and was honestly really dangerous to be playing in with on field temps at 112 degrees as reported by Eric Wood, and I don't think most people fully understand just how dangerous it was.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

The league might not proactively do anything about the heat issue, but the players union might.  Having the kick off at 430 in September makes a lot of sense.

I hope it snows 2 feet on 12/17.

Well this is the problem with assuming the weather works like western NY. 

I live in NC and here and probably much like Florida, it actually keeps getting hotter later in the day most of the time.

So having it later would not be a huge help unless you get to like 8pm or later.

I watch these Temps all the time because i have to watch when I can walk my dogs during the summer months and usually even at 9 or 10 it's still too hot sometimes.

Edited by Sharky7337

12 minutes ago, The Hub said:

It has nothing to do with pre-ordained SB expectations and you know it.  It was brutal conditions for a northern team to play in.

As to other idiots talking about "preparing" anyone who lives or lived in south Florida knows you don't get used to it in one day.

I lived 4 years down there and it takes a while to "acclimate" to that type of weather.

As to whether or not anything changes about the playing time or other measures implemented, I don't think anything will change.

High school players were dropping like flies years ago before mandatory changes were implemented, so some things could be modified.

I've watched the Bills play in Miami since the Dolphins came into the league and yesterday was the craziest conditions I ever seen.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It is undeniable that temperatures have been steadily increasing over the last 40 years and also the hottest temperatures experienced during a season have been stretching later and later in the year.  Within 10-15 years I can pretty much guarantee Miami will have games delayed and/or postponed early in the year due to dangerous heat related conditions and wet bulb(measuring the combination of heat and humidity and the body's ability to cool itself properly) temperatures.  At this point it is almost unavoidable if they continue scheduling games at 1pm.  Or the NFL will have to accept player deaths and fan deaths from fans sitting out in those conditions drinking alcohol and generally not being prepared for it.  

Yesterday's game was pretty close to pushing the limit of what the human body is capable of from a cooling standpoint and was honestly really dangerous to be playing in with on field temps at 112 degrees as reported by Eric Wood, and I don't think most people fully understand just how dangerous it was.

Miami Average September Temp 2000= 84.73.

Miami Average September Temp 2021 = 85.25 

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes.  They had shade and we didn’t.

Shade is when an object blocks the sunlight directly making it cooler. 

If shade was really the difference between 20+ players suffering from medical issues or not, then I would have expected our staff to know this and take every possible measure to do something about it and petition the league as well as the competition committee. Seems like a very solvable problem, and it's not like it's the first time we've played in Miami or the first time Miami has been hot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.