Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

It seemed like the Dolphins were much less affected, at least to me. Maybe it was the shade on their side allowing them to cool off a bit. 

Heat tolerance is an individual thing. I have no idea how Allen lasted the whole game without having issues. He was obviously gassed by the end when he one hopped the ball to Mackenzie in the end zone on 4th down. 

I really worried about the big men who weight 300+ pounds and have all that gear on and have to maul (or be mauled by) another 300+ pound man every play. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I’ve been in that stadium in November sitting in the sun and it was unbearable. It was much hotter here yesterday than it was during that November game. I don’t think players should be subjected to that whether NFL or college. Guys having to get multiple IVs is just wrong. Some may remember Korey Stringer, Vikings lineman that died from heat stroke. After that incident the NFL put protocols in place for practices. Why are these not applicable to games? Why no shade on visitors side? Why no air conditioned tents? Do you think that the technology doesn’t exist to cool the field? I’ve read that the Bills new stadium’s field will be heated. I’m afraid it’s going to take another death before the NFL and NCAA to react. That game became so painful just to watch I wanted them to walk off and forfeit. If a team can refuse to take the field because the condition of the turf will endanger players (I think it was the Raiders at the Vet in Philly), why isn’t the same true for weather conditions?

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Yes, and that whole offensive’s scheme of that slow ball control   football so we were out there longer. 

I actually think the ball control was designed to help out the defense from being on the field too long. As being down 5 starters & in a worse off position than the offense, all of us going into the game figured it'd be the defense that would be in trouble. So it appeared to my crowd of people watching the game that we were smart to do that. And it would've worked had Josh & the gang just executed the plays they ordinarily would make.

Not directing this at you or even about this topic, but after a tough loss almost everyone over reacts to everything. Josh doesnt fumble so close to the end zone. Gabe catches his TD, McKenzie catches his, Bass makes his fg, put another play here too if u want, point is any one of those we execute & we're all singing a different tune.

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, gjv said:

Is it permitted to put the opponent's bench under shade at the stadium in Miami?

There is no shade on the visitor sideline during gametime. They built the stadium specifically so that their side is shaded while the visitor side is in the sun, then claim they dont have tents (shade) so visitors cannot have it. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by What a Tuel

Some may pooh-pooh the OP's point, but the heat obviously takes a toll and was an enormous factor in yesterday's loss.  I'm a fit guy, an avid runner and cyclist, and know how to take care of myself in the heat, but sometimes it's just too much.  Ran a HM a few years back and it was 83° with 90% humidity at the start at 7am.  Sun was already out and blaring.  I was working hard and hydrating like crazy, but I hit mile 10 and my systems just shut down and I essentially passed out on the road with heatstroke and had to be taken to the hospital.  I can't imagine being out there as long as our o-linemen were, under helmets and pads   They are going to still be feeling it for the next 48 hours.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

IMO, yes, it was awful yesterday heat-wise, but it's always hot there, this was just worse than normal. I don't think any huge changed need to be made, aside from maybe the NFL scheduling Miami games for 4:25 kickoff early in the season. If they continue to get hype, easy solution is for them to play SNF/MNF early in the year like we did this year. 

It's the same here but with the cold. It's much more likely to be 42 degrees, gray and damp in December or early January in WNY than 25 degrees and a blizzard or crazy bitter cold like the NE playoff game. But the latter are certainly possible. 

All that said, give me the cold anytime over the heat. You can do all sorts of things to warm up, but the heat is just brutal. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I don't think some folks understand how dangerous heat stroke can be.  Unfortunately, it will take someone dying on the field, organ failure, or permanent brain damage before any changes are made by the NFL. Games in south Florida should be scheduled in the evening until at least the end of October.  It's not impossible.

Hell, the Bills have a single afternoon game before November 6, so it's not as if it can't be scheduled accordingly.

I was glad to see Rick Bates with a red face sweating, indicating heat exhaustion.  Heat stroke shows up as a pasty face which is dry and not sweating, indicating that the body's cooling mechanism has shut down.  When that happens, you gotta get them cooled off immediately to fend off death.  Everyone was sweating, which is a good sign.

2 minutes ago, Steel City Mafia said:

Weathers been the same last few times we played in Miami and we smoked em

I’m don’t believe that is correct. I’ve lived here for 30 plus years, this summer has been hottest I can remember and it’s not just me, everyone I know feels the same. Yesterday it was hot, humid with no breeze.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I’m don’t believe that is correct. I’ve lived here for 30 plus years, this summer has been hottest I can remember and it’s not just me, everyone I know feels the same. Yesterday it was hot, humid with no breeze.

Was at the game. Covid year. Was just as hot. 

I think you simply have to live in the area. 

I'm live in Oklahoma and it's over 100 nearly every day of the summer, heat index at one point was 120 a month ago. Sucks, but we get used to it. 

Went to an Oklahoma State v Kansas game one year in Lawrence... temp on the field was nearly 130. The players get used to it. (I also went to Basic and AIT during the summer in Missouri (Fort Leonard Wood) when I was 21 and it doesn't get much hotter than that. Humid, etc.) Our bodies adjust and over time, it's more difficult to deal with high heat like you might have experienced. 

2 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

I told everyone early this week that this would be a factor and people on this board still blow it off.  Until you experience the heat, you have no idea how crippling it is. 
I have to work outside sometimes carrying heavy equipment in the heat and I always warn the crew to take water breaks, get inside for awhile, etc... It's really, really bad and getting worse the last few years.

18 minutes ago, Steel City Mafia said:

Weathers been the same last few times we played in Miami and we smoked em

No, it's not. This year the humidity or something in the air makes it really, really hard to do physical activity. I've lived in Miami/Tampa for about 15 of the last 30 years and this year is the worst I've ever experienced. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Yes, and that whole offensive’s scheme of that slow ball control   football so we were out there longer. 

I don't know how much of a so called scheme, 20 offensive plays could be in that kind of heat, but it definitely had a negative impact on the outcome of the game.

Edited by Buffaloflash

2 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

The league—and society in general—has a huge problem with risk assessment.  It’s fine for players to risk death or heatstroke in 100 degree heat…

meanwhile, they delay the Eagles/Commanders game for 8 minutes because there was a drone flying over the stadium….The announcers gravely intoned about what a serious threat it was to the safety of the fans and players…I could go on, but I don’t want to wind up in the penalty box again😄

• Thank you (+1) 1

I live 3 hours north of Miami.  After the game I went out to cut the grass and yeah it was hot.  You definitely get somewhat used to it the longer you live here (6 years for me).   Some days though it's just too much to overcome.  There are hot days and humid days and days where the sun seems overly intense.  Yesterday was all 3 of those things.  It's the exact inverse of Buffalo winters.  Buffalo winters aren't that bad - they long but not bad.  There are about a half dozen days in Buffalo where it's just too damn cold and nasty to go out.  Same thing with Florida but with the heat/humidity/sun and yesterday was one of those days.  

in no way is this an excuse but the NFL really does have to look at these games.  These are professional athletes dropping like flies during a game not a slob like me cutting the grass and trimming trees who had to stop and spend some time in the shade.  The stadium baking the visitors sideline while the home team enjoys the shade is such an enormous advantage in days like yesterday.  

I go back and forth on this.  In some way I wish the game was stopped and picked up later.  kind of like they have "independent" monitors stopping the game when someone looks injured / concussed.  I know that's not realistic and could be more harmful to players if you stop for a few hours.  A better solution would be if heat / humidity / dew point are at x level then the game is kicked back a few hours.  And yes I think the same thing should happen with the cold.  

37 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

There is no shade on the visitor sideline during gametime. They built the stadium specifically so that their side is shaded while the visitor side is in the sun, then claim they dont have tents (shade) so visitors cannot have it. 

Capture.JPG

Was the home side of the stadium shaded when the stadium was built, and there was no roof canopy?  You do know the canopy was only added 5 or so years ago. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.