Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

I'm sure it was hot...but the US Military operates in areas where the weather is exceedingly worse and more life threatening.

I was in FL this past June when the heat index each day was 103+.  Playing a sport in those conditions is darn difficult, but it could be worse.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The NFL isn’t gonna do jack squat, it will take a player dropping dead on the field for them to even talk about addressing it and even then… sorry but that’s just reality.  The league is NEVER proactive when it comes to player safety (or anything else) - the National Football League might be the most reactive organization in the entire world.

This is true.

But the reality is that the Dolphins and teams that live in that heat have to condition better just to play in it.

I watch tons of college football played in the south and those games go on for 4 hours regularly and the players don't drop like flies the way we saw the Bills doing yesterday.    

I don't think conditioning is a strength of the Bills team because their sports science probably tells them not to push players that hard..........because it results in greater chance of injury.

That is the trade off.   The Bills have had a very healthy team in terms of the controllable soft-tissue type of injuries but they are not built to be on the field for 40 minutes of the game on either side of the ball.   We saw it in the divisional game vs KC when the defense was totally gassed at the end.   

You could argue that their approach leads to a lot of dominant performances but also that it hurts them in battles of attrition.........which is coincidentally what a lot of these 1 score losses have been.    Hell, they were gassed in Jacksonville last year.    Who are we kidding that this Miami game was just some kind of outrageous outlier weather wise?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is true.

But the reality is that the Dolphins and teams that live in that heat have to condition better just to play in it.

I watch tons of college football played in the south and those games go on for 4 hours regularly and the players don't drop like flies the way we saw the Bills doing yesterday.    

I don't think conditioning is a strength of the Bills team because their sports science probably tells them not to push players that hard..........because it results in greater chance of injury.

That is the trade off.   The Bills have had a very healthy team in terms of the controllable soft-tissue type of injuries but they are not built to be on the field for 40 minutes of the game on either side of the ball.   We saw it in the divisional game vs KC when the defense was totally gassed at the end.   

You could argue that their approach leads to a lot of dominant performances but also that it hurts them in battles of attrition.........which is coincidentally what a lot of these 1 score losses have been.    Hell, they were gassed in Jacksonville last year.    Who are we kidding that this Miami game was just some kind of outrageous outlier weather wise?

I'm sure Stefon Diggs was cramping because his conditioning is not up to par.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is important. It was telling that play stopped over and over and no injury timeouts lost for stopping play, that was strange, even the announcers mentioned it. From just a human perspective, really tough to watch.  Someone is going to drop dead down there, it's only a matter of time. Move Sept and Oct games to 4:30 is a really good idea.

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I'm sure Stefon Diggs was cramping because his conditioning is not up to par.

Yeah dressing only 5 receivers.......one of them injured(Gabe Davis)..........and then throwing a team record 62 passes..........another controllable and questionable organizational move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Same thing happened to me one summer when out at Niagara Falls.  Had to have been in the upper 90s while waiting to get on the Maid of the Mist and only one of the elevators was working so everyone was standing on the walkway waiting.  People were dropping like flies out there and I felt completely fine and then just hit me like a wave and damn near passed out.  Was pretty scary thinking about it now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Glad you're okay.  I can't imagine sitting in Miami sun for 3-4 straight hours.

Yes, I live in Houston that high heat and humidity can make you almost pass out.  I was  playing golf and almost fainted.   Luckily they have the dome stadium here but I’ve had problems hanging out at a tailgate when Buffalo came down.

Some people cool off better than others and if you take  medication it can affect you too.  I think the NFL is being ridiculous and not proactive with high heat and address the situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

We need to embrace this when we build our new stadium. Home bench competely covered from elements, roof is open directly over the opposing bench. Additionally the gutter system will collect rain from the roof and pour it over the visiting team.  We will also build horns that collect sound noise and direct it at the visiting bench.  

Stadium renderings are close.

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah dressing only 5 receivers.......one of them injured(Gabe Davis)..........and then throwing a team record 62 passes..........another controllable and questionable organizational move.

Yep.  They needed 6 or maybe 7 WRs yesterday.  I hope they adjust accordingly.  Last 2 years early road games at Miami.  Wouldn't surprise me if it's three next year.

A guy at work was at the game, talked to him this morning and he said luckily he was in the shade most of the game because he wouldn't have made it otherwise...said it was so hot and humid, it was the most uncomfortable he has ever been weather wise.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They were playing with WR sets of James Cook, Reggie Gilliam and Quentin Morris in the 4th quarter...and still moving the ball well...it was pretty crazy.

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

What were they doing at a Bills Phins game? 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes, and that whole offensive’s scheme of that slow ball control   football so we were out there longer. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is true.

You make a very good point and I had never really thought about that.  I agree that this is the tradeoff but in some of these close games maybe it's costing them.  It's hard to know but logically it makes some sense.

I went to the Jax game last year and I don't remember it being too hot.  I believe it was somewhat overcast and I believe was in the middle of the year.

This Miami game did feel different in terms of weather.  At least the players reaction to it was, I don't ever remember seeing the offense look so exhausted as this game.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.