Was at the game yesterday. Almost had a heat stroke. It was unsafe for players

Adamb412

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

• Like (+1) 20
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

The NFL isn’t gonna do jack squat, it will take a player dropping dead on the field for them to even talk about addressing it and even then… sorry but that’s just reality.  The league is NEVER proactive when it comes to player safety (or anything else) - the National Football League might be the most reactive organization in the entire world.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 8

5 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

I was sitting behind the bills bench and my wife and I were both feeling effects of the heat, so much so that I started feeling sick. We spent the entire third quarter on the concourse where they have giant fans. We went back at the start of the fourth and by the end of the game I nearly passed out and went down to a knee. I must of drank 5 bottles of water just to survive. I can't imagine how athletes doing cardio in direct sunlight feel with 30 pounds of equipment. And don't say they are athletes they are used to it. The human body can't and shouldn't be in that. They need to start moving dolphins September games to either night or after 430pm starts. You could of had a dead football player yesterday. This isn't the same as playing in the winter in buffalo. The winter in buffalo you're heating up your body by playing football in a cold environment and can bundle up with warm clothes. You can't do anything in Miami.  The NFL seriously needs to look into this....

I don't think some folks understand how dangerous heat stroke can be.  Unfortunately, it will take someone dying on the field, organ failure, or permanent brain damage before any changes are made by the NFL. Games in south Florida should be scheduled in the evening until at least the end of October.  It's not impossible.

Hell, the Bills have a single afternoon game before November 6, so it's not as if it can't be scheduled accordingly.

• Like (+1) 9

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The NFL isn’t gonna do jack squat, it will take a player dropping dead on the field for them to even talk about addressing it and even then… sorry but that’s just reality.  The league is NEVER proactive when it comes to player safety (or anything else) - the National Football League might be the most reactive organization in the entire world.

Maybe the NFLPA could log a complaint!

Only experience I had that was comparable was in Cincinnati when I went to a late afternoon Reds game my friend had tickets for when it was 97 out and extremely humid.  We were sitting along the first base line about halfway up in full sun.  I had to leave by the 3rd inning, it was just brutal.  Wasn't even enjoying the game, I was just sitting there sweating. As someone who doesn't enjoy the heat, not sure why I even went.

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

Yeah but how much beer did you have? I saw Josh shotgun a few and was totally fine 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Didn't the NFL make them put the cover on or they wouldn't get anymore Superbowls? They know the sun and heat is an issue

The cover definately helps everyone in the stadium except the opposing bench and the fans in the lower bowl on that side. It looked like a spotlight on the field yesterday, but probably 75-80% of the stadium was in the shade. 

Home team was covered 100% of the time and opposing team is in the sun 100% of the time.

It was nice and cool in the club seats for me, drinking vodka tonics. 

Except for the outcome of the game, it was a fun atmosphere. Most Bills fans I've ever seen at an away game. Almost 50-50 so everyone had a good time. 

54 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

The league might not proactively do anything about the heat issue, but the players union might.  Having the kick off at 430 in September makes a lot of sense.

I hope it snows 2 feet on 12/17.

and then the Miami bench just magically doesn't have power so they cant use the helmet and bench warmers.

• Like (+1) 3

When temperatures get like that why can’t they have a mandatory 5-10 minute water break every quarter? Soccer does it and they don’t have to wear football gear. Luckily no one got heatstroke.   

• Like (+1) 4

Not to be an A-hole, but i'm gonna assume you were also drinking (not water).  That puts you at a greater risk for becoming a heat casualty. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.