Week 4: Bills at Ravens 10/2 1pm

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I thinks it’s possible Dane starts again once he’s fully healthy, but Elam would be the first 1st round pick of the McBeane era to not be a starter his rookie year. If Elam keeps playing the way he did the last 2 weeks and gets into a rhythm, it’s gonna be hard to justify sitting the guy you drafted to be a the future at CB2 for a JAG.

My response was to the OP who said "Elam will start because he needs experience" (paraphrasing) I am saying that he won't start because he needs experience. McD has no issue keeping a rookie on the bench. As of the last game both Elam and Jackson played, Jackson was the better player. 

Elam will only start when he wins the job. 

On 9/27/2022 at 1:41 AM, ColoradoBills said:

40K a week.  He gets a minimum of 3 games pay whether he's on the team or not.  A bit taken off for him leaving the PS.

Are you sure about this? Do you have a source for this info?

To be clear I am not arguing, but I don't see any logic why would he got paid for 3 games if he is only on roster for one, and so far Sportrac has only those $40k next to his name as dead money ($53k total, but those $13k were there before for some other reason).

17 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Better than I thought it would be. I think all those Limited players will play on Sunday, along with Dawkins (probably remnants of playing in the heat) and of course Saffold and Miller.

I think Dion and Saffold earned their day off after playing 100% of the offensive snaps on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Are you sure about this? Do you have a source for this info?

To be clear I am not arguing, but I don't see any logic why would he got paid for 3 games if he is only on roster for one, and so far Sportrac has only those $40k next to his name as dead money ($53k total, but those $13k were there before for some other reason).

The 3-game rule is to limit teams from signing guys off the PS and dumping them after the game (like the Bills did).

I checked Spotrac and I see what you mean.  My guess is next week he gets another check and it goes up another $40k.

The NFL pays for game weeks.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/8/30/23325681/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more

If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, he will receive a minimum of three weekly paychecks, even if he is released before spending three weeks with the new team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The 3-game rule is to limit teams from signing guys off the PS and dumping them after the game (like the Bills did).

I checked Spotrac and I see what you mean.  My guess is next week he gets another check and it goes up another $40k.

The NFL pays for game weeks.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/8/30/23325681/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more

If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, he will receive a minimum of three weekly paychecks, even if he is released before spending three weeks with the new team.

Ok thanks for the link. It makes sense that you said about Sportrac. I will keep on checking it :)

Btw, I need to correct myself, I checked my previous screenshot and Emili had $2,5k dead money before. So this week added $50,666.

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Ok thanks for the link. It makes sense that you said about Sportrac. I will keep on checking it :)

Btw, I need to correct myself, I checked my previous screenshot and Emili had $2,5k dead money before. So this week added $50,666.

Yeah, Spotrac put a player's name one time on the Dead Money list and adds to it as needed.  Sometimes they add the $s quickly

and other times it takes a while.  As guys "elevate" they have to adjust both the dead money and their PS pay accordingly.

Bills only have 14 on the PS as of now.  I'm waiting to see if Emil goes back there or not.  Some kind of move needs to be made

to open a spot for Xavier too.

50 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am saying that he won't start because he needs experience. McD has no issue keeping a rookie on the bench.

Tre White, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver, and Greg Rousseau all needed experience too. That didn’t stop them from being rookie starters. 

50 minutes ago, Mango said:

As of the last game both Elam and Jackson played, Jackson was the better player. 

Yes, Dane Jackson in his best career game was slightly better than a rookie in the first game of their career. And since then Elam has been better than Jackson  ever was during his extended run as a starter last year.

53 minutes ago, Mango said:

Elam will only start when he wins the job. 

“*insert player name here* will win the job when they win the job.”

Some of y’all can keep trying to talk yourselves into Dane Jackson starting opposite Tre White in a few weeks, but I’d be shocked if it’s not Kaiir Elam. 

The guy has elite attributes, is a hard worker and passed his first test with flying colors.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Tre White, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver, and Greg Rousseau all needed experience too. That didn’t stop them from being rookie starters. 

Yes, Dane Jackson in his best career game was slightly better than a rookie in the first game of their career. And since then Elam has been better than Jackson  ever was during his extended run as a starter last year.

“*insert player name here* will win the job when they win the job.”

I didn't say rookies never start under McD.

All those guys certainly didn't start because of "experience".

Tre White was better than EJ Gaines out of the gate. Maybe they were comparable? But who was going to challenge for starting CB? Shareece Wright? What a joke

Josh Allen,  The guy who was the back up to Nathan Peterman coming into the season. Josh didn't start until Peterman had an abysmal Ravens game. Josh started because the only guy in his was was Nathan Peterman. The proud owner of the worst half of NFL football in the history of the league.

Ed Oliver...started 7 games. He started when he was ready.

Edmunds was the only serviceable MLB on the roster. He was better than Ramon Humber on day one. He didn't get the not at MLB because there was a better MLB on the roster and Edmunds needed "experience"

Elam's extended run as a starter? It has been one game. The list of Kaiir Elam's starts is 1. @Miami. List over.

I am taking your stance as Elam will only start because he needs experience. Sean McDermott doesn't start players for experience. He only starts players who have earned it. It is a consistent part of his ethos in building the roster. He will not start a lesser player because of their draft status or need for experience. Full stop. 

If your take is that Elam is the better player flat out than Jackson right now, I would disagree. But it is a topic worthy of discussion. But starting because of draft status and experience (which you cited as the reasons in your OP) isn't in this teams DNA. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I didn't say rookies never start under McD.

All those guys certainly didn't start because of "experience".

Tre White was better than EJ Gaines out of the gate. Maybe they were comparable? But who was going to challenge for starting CB? Shareece Wright? What a joke

Josh Allen,  The guy who was the back up to Nathan Peterman coming into the season. Josh didn't start until Peterman had an abysmal Ravens game. Josh started because the only guy in his was was Nathan Peterman. The proud owner of the worst half of NFL football in the history of the league.

Ed Oliver...started 7 games. He started when he was ready.

Edmunds was the only serviceable MLB on the roster. He was better than Ramon Humber on day one. He didn't get the not at MLB because there was a better MLB on the roster and Edmunds needed "experience"

Elam's extended run as a starter? It has been one game. The list of Kaiir Elam's starts is 1. @Miami. List over.

I am taking your stance as Elam will only start because he needs experience. Sean McDermott doesn't start players for experience. He only starts players who have earned it. It is a consistent part of his ethos in building the roster. He will not start a lesser player because of their draft status or need for experience. Full stop. 

If your take is that Elam is the better player flat out than Jackson right now, I would disagree. But it is a topic worthy of discussion. But starting because of draft status and experience (which you cited as the reasons in your OP) isn't in this teams DNA. 

I don’t know if Elam is better than Jackson right now, but I also don’t know that he isn’t. 

His first game, in insane conditions, he balled out.  How much help schematically did he have? We don’t really know.   Just one game though…

He gets the chance to show its sustainable on Sunday. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Absolutely insane that this is a 1 pm CBS game. 

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Agreed, just as it was insane last week's game was at 1 p.m., for both similar and different reasons.

both Billed as Game of the Week 

😆 pardon the pun 😝 

I like the 1PM games. 

west coast people will watch if they have an interest 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.