Week 4: Bills at Ravens 10/2 1pm

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Elam was a 1st round pick for a reason, if he's improving at his biggest weakpoint zone coverage then he could absolutely move up the depth chart.

Right, so I can get behind that. If/when Elam is the better player he will start. It is certainly possible that happens at some point this year. This staff has made a career of sitting rookies forever in favor of vets regardless of draft position. Nobody is starting for "experience". They will only start because they are starters. 

I took the post as Elam starting now regardless of who is better for the purpose of experience. If OP thinks Elam will start because he is the better player right now and will start that is fine. But it isn't what was said.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Forget the game for a second.

After watching from the stands as the ambulance come onto the field and took Dane Jackson away, giving me horrible Kevin Everett flashbacks...

I'm just so glad the guy is okay. Whether he plays this week, next week, or five weeks from now, I'm glad he has no lasting damage. Hallelujah, amen.

I agree.  I was at the Everett game as well as the game last week, and was having flashbacks to Everett and how sick I felt at that time.  So glad that Cam appears to be ok. 

49 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I wonder if Lawson gets more playing time in this one. He contained jackson really well years ago. He seems to do well on occasion containing athletic qbs.

He was phenomenal in that game. That was Lamar’s MVP season I think when Baltimore was rolling everyone. 
Lawson really confused Jackson and he could not read him on a few occasions and the plays got blown up. 

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Haha so we just signed OL Justin Murray and he is limited already? How fitting!

I would think being he just got off his couch and knows nothing of the scheme's, style and playbook they will have him loosen up today

and be glued to Coach West side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

We aren't benching marginally better 6th round rookie Christian Benford so that Elam can get experience. We aren't benching the player that is significantly better in Dane Jackson so that Elam can get experience. Especially without Hyde and a possibly still banged up interior DL. 

Elam will rotate in, but Dane Jackson isn't getting benched when Tre comes back. 

I agree. But I do think elam has a chance to win the starting job if he significantly outplays Dane this week (if Dane plays).  I could see whoever wins the job being subbed out for the other 1-2 drives per game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Right, so I can get behind that. If/when Elam is the better player he will start. It is certainly possible that happens at some point this year. This staff has made a career of sitting rookies forever in favor of vets regardless of draft position. Nobody is starting for "experience". They will only start because they are starters. 

I thinks it’s possible Dane starts again once he’s fully healthy, but Elam would be the first 1st round pick of the McBeane era to not be a starter his rookie year. If Elam keeps playing the way he did the last 2 weeks and gets into a rhythm, it’s gonna be hard to justify sitting the guy you drafted to be a the future at CB2 for a JAG.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I thinks it’s possible Dane starts again once he’s fully healthy, but Elam would be the first 1st round pick of the McBeane era to not be a starter his rookie year. If Elam keeps playing the way he did the last 2 weeks and gets into a rhythm, it’s gonna be hard to justify sitting the guy you drafted to be a the future at CB2 for a JAG.

Are you saying that’s Benford or Jackson are JAG’s? The numbers and my eyes see different. Both of them have performed very well in their time on the field so far this year.

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Are you saying that’s Benford or Jackson are JAG’s? The numbers and my eyes see different. Both of them have performed very well in their time on the field so far this year.

Levi Wallace also looked good in the Bills defense, but he was still very replaceable. Elam has been just as good as Dane/Benford and offers wayyyyy more upside.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Elam played great. When White comes back Jackson is going to the bench. Elam needs experience so he is solid in the playoffs.

I can virtually guarantee you that even when Tre is back and ready to go, he won't be out there for every snap.  He's going to be worked in slowly so he can ramp himself up to full speed over a number of weeks.  I think we will still see plenty of Jackson, Elam, and Benford for quite a while to come.  The last thing we need is to just throw Tre back out there and overwork him, not just to protect his knee, but from other injuries as well.  No matter how hard he's been working out and will come out and practice, anyone that is injured like he was will be more susceptible to new injuries by coming back and playing too much too soon.  Long term health is the goal for Tre and being able to get the young kids more more important reps is going to be an added bonus.  This is all about the big picture and having as many guys healthy as possible to go out and win after game 17 is over.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think what is being said is that the Bills defensive scheme minimizes player losses to as large a degree as possible by playing within a system that relies more on being in the proper position and great technique more than it does outstanding play.  The outstanding play like we get from White, Hyde and Poyer are like the cherry on top, that takes it from it's floor of 15th-17th ranked defense at it's worse to closer to it's ceiling, but even with average players the defense can still function at a relatively high level by it being more team-centric than player-centric. If that makes any sense...not sure if I explained it well enough from my point of view or not.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.