Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

We all know that your reading comprehension is crippled due to your condition (internet trollemia).  

As we can all plainly see, I said that the NFL has changed several rules of their game in order to keep players safe.  Here’s a list of rules (made in 2019) that have been changed in order to keep the players more safe.  
https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-health-and-safety-related-rules-changes-since-2002

The game on Sunday was not safe. The stadium created to melt the visiting team just did that.  The nfl should take action and do it’s best to prevent it’s players from playing in dangerous weather in a stadium specifically created to make it more dangerous for the visiting team.  

you know this…. Too bad your condition prevents you from agreeing with others.

the obvious and simple answer is that the entire list you cited contains rules only regarding how players interact with each on the field, and prohibitions which allow them fewer opportunities to hurt each other.  None regard weather, let alone heat.

it was a completely meaningless citation in regard to this discussion. You may as well have linked the fee schedule for league uniform code violations,

It clearly supports the conclusion that, after decades of play, the NFL (and the NFLPA, for that matter) don’t consider playing in the sunshine in Miami a problem they need to solve.  

Should  they allow shade on the visitor side? Sure. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok…so your rationale:  because no one complained about fixing an unsafe playing field before no one can.  Wake up

genius.  

What  did the Bills organization say about the safety of that game Sunday?  Their opinion is all that matters 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the obvious and simple answer is that the entire list you cited contains rules only regarding how players interact with each on the field, and prohibitions which allow them fewer opportunities to hurt each other.  None regard weather, let alone heat.

it was a completely meaningless citation in regard to this discussion. You may as well have linked the fee schedule for league uniform code violations,

It clearly supports the conclusion that, after decades of play, the NFL (and the NFLPA, for that matter) don’t consider playing in the sunshine in Miami a problem they need to solve.  

Oh man.  That comprehension wall is bigger than ever.  

Player safety is player safety.  My point was that they went so far as to actually change their game rules in order to maintain a higher level of player safety.  If the NFL would care so much to actually go so far to change the rules for player safety, one would think that scheduling a team accordingly (during one month of the season no less) would such a minimal task and essentially a no brainer.  

It’s called common sense

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Oh man.  That comprehension wall is bigger than ever.  

Player safety is player safety.  My point was that they went so far as to actually change their game rules in order to maintain a higher level of player safety.  If the NFL would care so much to actually go so far to change the rules for player safety, one would think that scheduling a team accordingly (during one month of the season no less) would such a minimal task and essentially a no brainer.  

It’s called common sense

show me we’re they changed the rules over heat/weather in, say, Miami?   they have had 75 years to address it.   They have had 6 years to confront the Dolphins  over their unfair and dangerous stadium design.

Why does the NFL, and the Bills, disagree with you on this, to this point?

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What  did the Bills organization say about the safety of that game Sunday?  Their opinion is all that matters 

No. This has nothing to do with the bills organization.  Again, use your brain.  Common sense.  More safe >>> less safe.  Schedule 1-3 games at a later time in order to keep players safer….. it’s common sense. 

68 deaths over the last 25 years.  Deaths.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/07/12/marion-barbers-death-what-we-know-dangers-heatstroke/10036028002/

but…..no one has complained about it before, so even thought we know it’s dangerous, we can’t change it…..because no one complained before……. Sound decision making there. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

show me we’re they changed the rules over heat/weather in, say, Miami?   they have had 75 years to address it.   They have had 6 years to confront the Dolphins  over their unfair and dangerous stadium design.

Why does the NFL, and the Bills, disagree with you on this, to this point?

I didn’t say anything of the sort.  You are blinded 🧌 

Sorry, I can’t help you any more. Seeking professional treatment is my recommendation to you.  

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No. This has nothing to do with the bills organization.  Again, use your brain.  Common sense.  More safe >>> less safe.  Schedule 1-3 games at a later time in order to keep players safer….. it’s common sense. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/07/12/marion-barbers-death-what-we-know-dangers-heatstroke/10036028002/

but…..no one has complained about it before, so even thought we know it’s dangerous, we can’t change it…..because no one complained before……. Sound decision making there. 

You cite an article that describes a retired NFL player who died in his home following an idiotic exercise routine.  The res documents one NFL player who died in five years. plus some other college players.  None in games, but in practice.  THIS has led to changes in the NFL (it involves rectal temperatures and ice baths).

you haven’t produced anything showing where the swell of support for non-lightning/flooding weather conditions from the league, the owners or the players and their union?

if the Bills beat the Find in the heat, this thread wouldn’t exist

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no one cared about this for the past 6 years the roof has been there.  No the Bills piss a win away and suddenly “it’s too hot in Miami!!!”

this is like last years wind game (out coached for the weather) and suddenly “how could they not be putting a dome on the new stadium!!!it’s too windy for outdoor football in Buffalo!!”

You just refuse to “get it”.  Your stubbornness is getting in the way of rational thought. I don’t care if it was the Stinkin’ Patriots* playing in those conditions, it is just WRONG. Sometimes in the past 6 years the game has been later in the season, or the weather has been more moderate. Had we pulled out the win (which was still very possible), I would be every bit as upset with the inherent unfairness. 

I was never aware of the deliberately designed unfair advantage until last Sunday. You will NEVER convince me that is “fair”, because it’s blatantly slanted to the home team. 

The wind game affected both teams equally. That is why they switch ends of the field, to make things as fair as possible. If we switched sidelines every quarter, it would be stupid, but at least it would be FAIR. But we know the Dolphins would have no part of that, period. They know how hot is it in the sun! 

Please stop bringing up comparisons where both teams face the same adversity. It is insulting to our intelligence and a waste of our time. And it completely misses the point every single time.  I don’t care if it’s hot in Miami, as long as it is equally hot for both teams. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok…so your rationale:  because no one complained about fixing an unsafe playing field before no one can.  Wake up

genius.  

Some people just like to argue, even of they have an indefensible position. Just a smidgin of common sense tells you this is unfair, and potentially dangerous. It’s not whining or sour grapes, it’s an obvious FACT. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Some people just like to argue, even of they have an indefensible position. Just a smidgin of common sense tells you this is unfair, and potentially dangerous. It’s not whining or sour grapes, it’s an obvious FACT. 

Amen brother.  

Makes me feel fortunate.  i could’ve been dealt a different hand, god spared me

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You cite an article that describes a retired NFL player who died in his home following an idiotic exercise routine.  The res documents one NFL player who died in five years. plus some other college players.  None in games, but in practice.  THIS has led to changes in the NFL (it involves rectal temperatures and ice baths).

you haven’t produced anything showing where the swell of support for non-lightning/flooding weather conditions from the league, the owners or the players and their union?

if the Bills beat the Find in the heat, this thread wouldn’t exist

Dense.  It has NOTHING to do with the article I linked.  Again…. The article was linked to show you that the nfl is willing to go so far as to change the actual rules of their game in order to increase player safety. Why wouldn’t they go so far as to make such a small scheduling tweak during one month of the year in order to potentially increase player safety.  

either you understand completely and you are just trolling as usual or I gave you too much credit.  

have fun @Augie I bid this ridiculousness farewell

Edited by NewEra

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dense.  It has NOTHING to do with the article I linked.  Again…. The article was linked to show you that the nfl is willing to go so far as to change the actual rules of their game in order to increase player safety. Why wouldn’t they go so far as to make such a small scheduling tweak during one month of the year in order to potentially increase player safety.  

either you understand completely and you are just trolling as usual or I gave you too much credit.  

I hope I never get so out of tune that I can’t see the obvious, even if I need a second take. I’m wrong all the time, but I am capable of seeing the light and changing my position. That would be a miserable existence as far as I’m concerned. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

no one cared about this for the past 6 years the roof has been there.  No the Bills piss a win away and suddenly “it’s too hot in Miami!!!”

this is like last years wind game (out coached for the weather) and suddenly “how could they not be putting a dome on the new stadium!!!it’s too windy for outdoor football in Buffalo!!”

Leave it to WEO to tear down that strawman he just built himself.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:10 AM, Southern_Bills said:

I agree,  but you can't preach player safety and turn around and let this go on.

Player safety was disregarded yesterday.

This... and honestly, the NFL doesn't give two rusty nickels about player safety. They just preach that political correctness to avoid lawsuits and liability. It's ALWAYS about the money. 

This might've been answered already, but if the sun is directly facing the visitor side for 1:00 games, wouldn't it be either above both sides or facing the home side for 4:30/7:00+ games?

It'd be a bit cooler by evening games, but not much better for games around 4:00. Not really convinced they specifically set it up for that purpose (the old Cowboys stadium in Arlington also had weird sun angles where only half the field & stadium was lit, but doubt that was intentional).

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

My point was that the Dolphins seemed not to be as affected.

a new addition 

the Fins side normally in the shade had even more shade due to an additional overhang 

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m wrong all the time, but I am capable of seeing the light and changing my position. That would be a miserable existence as far as I’m concerned. 

you can’t be wrong all the time cuz I’m wrong all the time!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say anything of the sort.  You are blinded 🧌 

Sorry, I can’t help you any more. Seeking professional treatment is my recommendation to you.  

If by "we" you mean the NFL/onwers/players know it's too dangerous to play--well clearly that's not the case.  I 've said so repeatedly and you offer nothing to say they agree that it's too dangerous.  You cited an extensive list of things they DID find dangerous and changed the rules.   Yet, despite their demonstrated propensity to change the rules, they have not done so for heat that may be severe.  CLEARLY they don't consider it a threat worth changing the rules for---your own citations make this absolutely clear.  

It's always the final resort of those putting forward weak arguments--to challenge the reading comprehension of those dissecting them.  

But yes, you may be onto something.  I think I have some sort of disorder where my comprehension is proportional the the sophistication of the point I'm responding to.  For instance I also have struggled with cave paintings

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

You just refuse to “get it”.  Your stubbornness is getting in the way of rational thought. I don’t care if it was the Stinkin’ Patriots* playing in those conditions, it is just WRONG. Sometimes in the past 6 years the game has been later in the season, or the weather has been more moderate. Had we pulled out the win (which was still very possible), I would be every bit as upset with the inherent unfairness. 

I was never aware of the deliberately designed unfair advantage until last Sunday. You will NEVER convince me that is “fair”, because it’s blatantly slanted to the home team. 

The wind game affected both teams equally. That is why they switch ends of the field, to make things as fair as possible. If we switched sidelines every quarter, it would be stupid, but at least it would be FAIR. But we know the Dolphins would have no part of that, period. They know how hot is it in the sun! 

Please stop bringing up comparisons where both teams face the same adversity. It is insulting to our intelligence and a waste of our time. And it completely misses the point every single time.  I don’t care if it’s hot in Miami, as long as it is equally hot for both teams. 

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

In the end, it's not about what YOU were or were not aware of or what YOU consider fair or dangerous--same goes for you bro NewEra The NFL, the Bills, etc don't. You feeling on this are not consistent with those who play and control the game, so why continue to pretend they do or should? 

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It's always the final resort of those putting forward weak arguments--to challenge the reading comprehension of those dissecting them.  

But yes, you may be onto something.  I think I have some sort of disorder where my comprehension is proportional the the sophistication of the information I'm responding to. For instance I also have struggled with cave paintings: are they running toward the water buffalo, or away from it.....or are they running at all?

I'll seek help!

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

a new addition 

the Fins side normally in the shade had even more shade due to an additional overhang 

you can’t be wrong all the time cuz I’m wrong all the time!!!!

It was 100 degrees in the shade with the heat index.  The Dolphins D was on the field for 90 plays as the Bills were able to rack up their biggest yardage (by a lot) so far this season, despite the heat. 

On 9/26/2022 at 7:04 AM, PetermansRedemption said:

The nfl just needs to postpone games when the heat index is over 90 in Miami. Why have the players risk injury completely unnecessarily? When it can be so easily avoided. 

Then they can’t play some years until October or even November.  Know the weather brother.  It sucks absolutely, but they use it to their advantage.  I wa surprised we di don’t OV our guys before as this was expected.  It wasn’t the real summer.

you guys don’t know in august the heat index can be easily 110-115 degrees.  Why do you thing everyone has Ac.  They should’ve loaded them up with KC’s before.  

whatebere it’s over.  Let’s move onto Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Speaking of the Vikings - if you go waaay back to Bud Grant’s first stint there, the old Canadian wouldn’t let heaters on HIS home sideline even though they were allowed. I never

really got the logic. Something about keeping the players moving so they wouldn’t stiffen up. 

Yup, that's what I was referring to, the Bud Grant era.  do recall the heater part too.

I live in Miami and am a season ticket holder to the Miami Hurricanes (who also play in that stadium) and purposely chose the home side because of this.

It is my recollection that the Dolphins (or NFL) used to avoid 1:00 pm games early in the regular season. I got in an argument with some Dolphin fans about this and ended up taking a look at the Dolphin schedule from 1970 through 1989.

Guess what? During that entire time, only 6.3% of Dolphin games before the last week of September were 1:00 pm home games. The rest (93.7%) were 4:00 pm or night home games or away games.

The easy solution is to make sure that early regular season Dolphin games should be later in the day or on the road.

P.S. I know some Dolphin fans try to respond by claiming that we have an advantage in cold weather games. That counter argument only goes so far. In our stadium, both home and away teams have the same exposure to the elements. At Hard Rock Stadium, only one team bakes in the sun. That side of the stadium is miserable even sitting in the stands in shorts and a t shirt. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be player . . . especially a 300+ pound lineman.

P.P.S. I love the idea by Orlando Tim (immediately above) who suggests that the visiting team should be able to select its sideline.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.