Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not a freak storm or wind but certain days can be hotter than the average heat index right?  Some days are hotter than others.  One team doesn't get the 15 degree benefit and the other does.

It was predictable but that doesn't mean even with the best preparation, you're not majorly affected.  

Weather report will let you know if Sunday is going to be one of those days.

Who knows what teamwide, extra preparation the Bills had every player participate in?

Maybe next year they will have them wear cooling vests under their gear and hook them up at halftime.  MAybe do routine core temp checks on the sideline to see who is dangerously high and then send them to the blue tent for icepacks on head/neck/armpits/groins. Cooled IVs at halftime.  Mandatory supervised hydration beginning early am gameday at the stadium facilities. 

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Miami in September has an average heat index (in the shade) of 95.5.  In the sun, you can add up to 15 degrees, even higher on the turf, which absorbs heat.  

This has been true at least since 2016 then, at this stadium.  All of this was predictable.   It's not like a freak storm or wind passed through.  It's the weather there...

Regardless…. The stadium was specifically constructed to keep the opposing team in the Sun the entire game.  As you say, the weather in Miami is the weather in Miami.  Playing in 90 degree weather is dangerous. It’s been proven.  People die.  It’s unsafe.  The nfl has literally changed several rules of their game in order to keep players safe. Do the math Einstein Jr.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

If it really cares about player safety, NFL could schedule around it. Hypothetical Fins sked based on this year's game dates:

Sept. 11 AWAY

Sept. 18 HOME, SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Sept. 25 AWAY

Sept. 29 HOME, THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Oct. 9 AWAY

Oct. 16 AWAY

Oct. 24 HOME, MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Oct. 30 HOME, 4 PM START

That sked gets you into milder November weather.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Gisele said:

19 pages that I'm not going to read again but did I see earlier that the visiting team can only use tents if the home team uses them?  I would think that anything one team does the other can do.  Shouldn't matter if you're the home or visiting team.  If this is the case, can we go without heaters in December so they freeze their asses off?

But we’ll freeze our arses off too…. That’s why this is so different.  The dolphins are shaded the entire game, while the opponents are roasting.  

anyone and everyone that thinks this is ok, especially in todays world of player safety, is an idiot.  Its mind blowing how some people just like to argue to just to argue. Not speaking about you @Gisele

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Weather report will let you know if Sunday is going to be one of those days.

Who knows what teamwide, extra preparation the Bills had every player participate in?

Maybe next year they will have them wear cooling vests under their gear and hook them up at halftime.  MAybe do routine core temp checks on the sideline to see who is dangerously high and then send them to the blue tent for icepacks on head/neck/armpits/groins. Cooled IVs at halftime.  Mandatory supervised hydration beginning early am gameday at the stadium facilities. 

That would be a good idea.  Something to keep our players at least somewhat protected.  I believe many players were getting IV's at halftime.

If the Dolphins had the same issue with the sun, there be no issues.  They both are equally affected and it's a balanced playing field.

I played against Florida Atlantic which is in Boca and that sun is unbearable.  Our SS had to go to the hospital after the game for severe heat cramps....he was stuck in a fetal position.  If it wasn't for us to be able to sit in a shaded dugout in between innings, more of us would have had heat related issues.  We aren't moving as much as football players so I can understand why Bills players were dropping.

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Regardless…. The stadium was specifically constructed to keep the opposing team in the Sun the entire game.  As you say, the weather in Miami is the weather in Miami.  Playing in 90 degree weather is dangerous. It’s been proven.  People die.  It’s unsafe.  The nfl has literally changed several rules of their game in order to keep players safe. Do the math Einstein Jr.  

what rule did they change to prevent death in that game?  Did they cancel it?  Did they delay it until 4?

Einstein doesn't have the math on this one so help us out.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That would be a good idea.  Something to keep our players at least somewhat protected.  I believe many players were getting IV's at halftime.

If the Dolphins had the same issue with the sun, there be no issues.  They both are equally affected and it's a balanced playing field.

I played against Florida Atlantic which is in Boca and that sun is unbearable.  Our SS had to go to the hospital after the game for severe heat cramps....he was stuck in a fetal position.  If it wasn't for us to be able to sit in a shaded dugout in between innings, more of us would have had heat related issues.  We aren't moving as much as football players so I can understand why Bills players were dropping.

All results in this case stem form the degree of preparation.  It was a well known and fully anticipated weather environment they were entering.  plenty of time to prepare in extra-ordinary ways.  I haven't seen a reporting as to what atypical measures they took to be as ready  as possible.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:29 AM, SCBills said:

It is what it is, and it’s not going to change, but people literally die from heat stroke.  

Southern high schools and colleges have protocols in place to deal with the heat.  To have a stadium designed to amplify the heat on the opponent is pretty wild.

Apparently it’s going to take an Offensive Lineman passing out on the field and being taken to the hospital in an ambulance to have the NFL being called by fans/media to step in.  God forbid someone dies on the field. 

Until this happens, not likely anything changes and most likely would have to be the dies part before it changes.

Recall years ago, believe it was in Minn, both benches were on the same side of the field because of the cold in December

17 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

If it really cares about player safety, NFL could schedule around it. Hypothetical Fins sked based on this year's game dates:

Sept. 11 AWAY

Sept. 18 HOME, SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Sept. 25 AWAY

Sept. 29 HOME, THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Oct. 9 AWAY

Oct. 16 AWAY

Oct. 24 HOME, MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Oct. 30 HOME, 4 PM START

That sked gets you into milder November weather.

Exactly. And if the Dolphins are actually good (too soon to tell), we might see

something like this next season. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

what rule did they change to prevent death in that game?  Did they cancel it?  Did they delay it until 4?

All results in this case stem form the degree of preparation.  It was a well known and fully anticipated weather environment they were entering.  plenty of time to prepare in extra-ordinary ways.  I haven't seen a reporting as to what atypical measures they took to be as ready  as possible.

I don’t know what the rules are.  They may not be able to use anything you mentioned.
Our training staff I’m 100% sure discussed options.  

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Recall years ago, believe it was in Minn, both benches were on the same side of the field because of the cold in December

Speaking of the Vikings - if you go waaay back to Bud Grant’s first stint there, the old Canadian wouldn’t let heaters on HIS home sideline even though they were allowed. I never

really got the logic. Something about keeping the players moving so they wouldn’t stiffen up. 

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We all know that your reading comprehension is crippled due to your condition (internet trollemia).  

As we can all plainly see, I said that the NFL has changed several rules of their game in order to keep players safe.  Here’s a list of rules (made in 2019) that have been changed in order to keep the players more safe.  
https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-health-and-safety-related-rules-changes-since-2002

The game on Sunday was not safe. The stadium created to melt the visiting team just did that.  The nfl should take action and do it’s best to prevent it’s players from playing in dangerous weather in a stadium specifically created to make it more dangerous for the visiting team.  

you know this…. Too bad your condition prevents you from agreeing with others.

• Agree 1

Why don’t we just bring a bunch of pop up tents?

Just now, peterpan said:

If that’s illegal- hoesntly who cares.  Pay the fine and move on.

or, just call them all injury tents and say every player on the team has heat stress or heat exhaustion 

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

If that’s illegal- hoesntly who cares.  Pay the fine and move on.

or, just call them all injury tents and say every player on the team has heat stress or heat exhaustion 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Miami in September has an average heat index (in the shade) of 95.5.  In the sun, you can add up to 15 degrees, even higher on the turf, which absorbs heat.  

This has been true at least since 2016 then, at this stadium.  All of this was predictable.   It's not like a freak storm or wind passed through.  It's the weather there...

No, it’s not a freak storm, and that is EXACTLY the point. It is very hot, and it is designed to be 20-30 hotter on the visitors side (according to the article). That is complete BS IMO. It’s not a little detail, like a smaller locker room. It affects the visitors to an unreasonable level in the minds of most rational people. It is not only unfair, it is unsafe. 

Yes, it IS predictable, unreasonable and premeditated. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bandito said:

This isn't true. The wind could be worse and blowing into one side vs the other. 

That is just plain silly. There is a reason the teams change field direction during a game. It is to create a sense of fairness. If we could make their sideline 20-30 degrees colder, they would BWord up a storm!!! That is the flip side, and it’s NOT Okay, even if we are on the side that benefits. 

What they have in Miami is more like the wind only blows (and blows HARD) when the opponent is on offense. It is a gross violation of any sense of fairness. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

From what I understand, it has to be equal.  Since the Dolphins didn't use canopy's or tents, we couldn't either.  Its the way the NFL makes sure each team has the same resources and nothing is "unequal".  

Their stadium is designed to be unequal.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

No, it’s not a freak storm, and that is EXACTLY the point. It is very hot, and it is designed to be 20-30 hotter on the visitors side (according to the article). That is complete BS IMO. It’s not a little detail, like a smaller locker room. It affects the visitors to an unreasonable level in the minds of most rational people. It is not only unfair, it is unsafe. 

Yes, it IS predictable, unreasonable and premeditated. 

no one cared about this for the past 6 years the roof has been there.  No the Bills piss a win away and suddenly “it’s too hot in Miami!!!”

this is like last years wind game (out coached for the weather) and suddenly “how could they not be putting a dome on the new stadium!!!it’s too windy for outdoor football in Buffalo!!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no one cared about this for the past 6 years the roof has been there.  No the Bills piss a win away and suddenly “it’s too hot in Miami!!!”

this is like last years wind game (out coached for the weather) and suddenly “how could they not be putting a dome on the new stadium!!!it’s too windy for outdoor football in Buffalo!!”

I mentioned this before but I’ll say it again-it has been mentioned for several years. Not necessarily by the Bulls and/or their fans, but I’ve seen/heard/read this complaint from other teams for a while now. We are just paying attention to it now because it certainly had an effect on our team on Sunday, that’s all 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, I don't recall Bills' players being taken out by the heat as they were last Sunday. Maybe that's recency bias, but it seems more than a reasonable home field advantage to have one side baking in a level of heat that appears a genuine health risk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok…so your rationale:  because no one complained about fixing an unsafe playing field before no one can.  Wake up

genius.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.