Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

Eric Wood actually commented on this, this week with Schopp and Bulldog.

He said there is a regulation which says no team can erect a sun-blocking shield or what have you because it would interfere with fans' view of the field...which makes sense.  But only if the shield would truly block someone's view.  There is enough space down there to figure something out IMO, even if the players must sit down on the field inside the sun shelter.

I think Miami should be allowed to screw with other teams in this way.

But I think the visiting teams should be allowed to think their way out of the problem with temporary shields and what not.  

To allow 1 side to do what it wants but not the other is unfair.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

He said there is a regulation which says no team can erect a sun-blocking shield or what have you because it would interfere with fans' view of the field...which makes sense.  

"Whoops! We brought the extra large blue medical tent that goes over the whole bench!"

7 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Every point you made can be made about Buffalo in the winter during Snow Games

Nope, in Buffalo it’s equally cold and snowy for both teams. There is nothing unbalanced about it. The same cannot be said about one team standing in shade while the other team bakes in the sun. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I agree that weather is weather and both teams played on the same field.  So while the weather seemed to impact Buffalo more, that is the game. 

BUT - The Bills did not game plan to “chew clock” and leave their offense on the field for 3 quarters.  The Bills chewed clock because they had no long pass plays that worked and Miami just couldn’t stop them until the red zone.  The Bills blocking just did not hold up and Josh had to work miracles. The Bills long 23 play drive only produced 3 points because Davis dropped a TD.  The running game contributed nothing.  The one really big 40 yard run by Moss resulted in a missed FG.   The receivers and our OL couldn’t not stay on the field due to heat. 

This was a very weird game because the Bills totally dominated and still lost. Heat exhaustion and injuries played a huge part but Buffalo failed to make enough plays.   Dropped touchdowns, missed FGs, bad blocking, dropped interceptions, bobbled snaps, a terrible defensive call on 3rd and 22, and bad decisions in both two minute drills.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a lopsided game result in a loss.  

Reminded me of a hockey game, where one teams goalie just stifles a team who completely dominated & had like 50+ shots on goal, but lose.

4 minutes ago, TD716 said:

Anyone have any information regarding the report that said since Miami sideline wasn’t using the fan/mist machine that the bills couldn’t use it.

From what I understand, it has to be equal.  Since the Dolphins didn't use canopy's or tents, we couldn't either.  Its the way the NFL makes sure each team has the same resources and nothing is "unequal".  

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It has been that way for 35 years...

I do not believe that is accurate. They had a 3 year, $500 million renovation project that ended around 2016. According to this article, the fans will see a 20-30 degree improvement in the temperature by adding the ceiling tiles/shade. I’m sure the Miami players see a similar improvement….and IMO it’s an unfair advantage. You can disagree, but it clearly does not make for an even playing field. 

This was an intentional design advantage, and the league should provide some remedy to make it more fair and equal. 

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-dolphins-500-million-stadium-renovation-8659288

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And the weather isn't always the same in 35 years.  This game in particular was brutal for heat.  

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

I do not believe that is accurate. They had a 3 year, $500 million renovation project that ended around 2016. According to this article, the fans will see a 20-30 degree improvement in the temperature by adding the ceiling tiles/shade. I’m sure the Miami players see a similar improvement….and IMO it’s an unfair advantage. You can disagree, but it clearly does not make for an even playing field. 

This was an intentional design advantage, and the league should provide some remedy to make it more fair and equal. 

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-dolphins-500-million-stadium-renovation-8659288

Miami in September has an average heat index (in the shade) of 95.5.  In the sun, you can add up to 15 degrees, even higher on the turf, which absorbs heat.  

This has been true at least since 2016 then, at this stadium.  All of this was predictable.   It's not like a freak storm or wind passed through.  It's the weather there...

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

He said there is a regulation which says no team can erect a sun-blocking shield or what have you because it would interfere with fans' view of the field...which makes sense.  But only if the shield would truly block someone's view.  There is enough space down there to figure something out IMO, even if the players must sit down on the field inside the sun shelter.

But I think the visiting teams should be allowed to think their way out of the problem with temporary shields and what not.  

Here’s a idea for the next trip to Hard Rock:

have the equipment manager bring large packing trunks with bathroom vanity-sized mirrors. Set them up on the Bills sideline so they reflect the sun right back onto the Dolphins sideline, into their eyes, and onto their Microsoft Surface tablets.  Take that fishes!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Miami in September has an average heat index (in the shade) of 95.5.  In the sun, you can add up to 15 degrees, even higher on the turf, which absorbs heat.  

This has been true at least since 2016 then, at this stadium.  All of this was predictable.   It's not like a freak storm or wind passed through.  It's the weather there...

Not a freak storm or wind but certain days can be hotter than the average heat index right?  Some days are hotter than others.  One team doesn't get the 15 degree benefit and the other does.

It was predictable but that doesn't mean even with the best preparation, you're not majorly affected.  

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I was thinking during the game while they had guys standing there holding umbrellas why they didn't just bring a bunch of shade canopies- then realized what you said that it would block the fan view.  But then on the 4:00 TB game I saw the Packers brought these low shade things that went right over the length of the bench and didn't obstruct any view.

Haven't read this whole thread but the other thing is even if you have areas of shade - the overall temp in the area is still going to be hotter with the sun beating down and frying everything all around

On 9/26/2022 at 6:51 AM, Stretch said:

I’m sorry, but I don't see this as cheating.  It’s smartly building an advantage.

It may not be cheating, because the NFL probably doesn't have architectural rules. But it is certainly unethical.

Unethical behavior is enough to hold someone in scorn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bandito said:

The sun shines through the stadium in Jerry's World too and can affect teams. I get what you are saying, but many stadiums have this issue. It isn't unique to Miami is my point. Tough luck.

The sun shines through the north endzone and doesn't directly hit one sideline.  Miami specifically designed the stadium this reason to give them an advantage and it worked.  

I feel in any conditions, each team should have an even playing field.  Then excuses can't be made.

• Agree 2

Our players could've all held umbrellas on the sideline, it would keep the sun off their heads anyway.

When the offense was on the field, all of the defense and their coaches should've been in the tunnel in the bowels of the stadium. Then keep the offense in the tunnel while the defense is out on the field.

Edited by frostbitmic

19 pages that I'm not going to read again but did I see earlier that the visiting team can only use tents if the home team uses them?  I would think that anything one team does the other can do.  Shouldn't matter if you're the home or visiting team.  If this is the case, can we go without heaters in December so they freeze their asses off?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.