Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

On 9/27/2022 at 8:53 AM, Billz4ever said:

They weren't all cooler. The game last year was within one degree of this year with the same humidity.

The difference this year was the bills game planned to chew clock and their offense was on the field for almost the equivalent of 3 entire quarters.  Last year they had the ball for 28 minutes.

The Bills blew them out last year, so nobody cared.

But if something is actually an unfair advantage, people should be making noise about it regardless of if they win or lose, which isn't the case.  It's only a big deal now because we lost.

I agree that weather is weather and both teams played on the same field.  So while the weather seemed to impact Buffalo more, that is the game. 

BUT - The Bills did not game plan to “chew clock” and leave their offense on the field for 3 quarters.  The Bills chewed clock because they had no long pass plays that worked and Miami just couldn’t stop them until the red zone.  The Bills blocking just did not hold up and Josh had to work miracles. The Bills long 23 play drive only produced 3 points because Davis dropped a TD.  The running game contributed nothing.  The one really big 40 yard run by Moss resulted in a missed FG.   The receivers and our OL couldn’t not stay on the field due to heat. 

This was a very weird game because the Bills totally dominated and still lost. Heat exhaustion and injuries played a huge part but Buffalo failed to make enough plays.   Dropped touchdowns, missed FGs, bad blocking, dropped interceptions, bobbled snaps, a terrible defensive call on 3rd and 22, and bad decisions in both two minute drills.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a lopsided game result in a loss.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it’s not really a question of acclimation—the Miami players no doubt spend most of their week in air conditioned spaces.  It’s very doubtful they are on the field practicing hard midday every day.  It’s more about strict hydration schedules all week and particularly the days before,  as well as electrolyte replacement.  It was 102 on the field last year.  Every knows this is how it’s going to be there on turn in September 

excellebt question.  Nothing obvious

Alright...in previous years, McD has had them hydrating with water, pickle juice etc so they've been able to withstand the heat.  Are you suggesting he didn't have them do that this year?  It's also more than the temperature.  Humidity and dew point make a huge difference.

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Alright...in previous years, McD has had them hydrating with water, pickle juice etc so they've been able to withstand the heat.  Are you suggesting he didn't have them do that this year?  It's also more than the temperature.  Humidity and dew point make a huge difference.

mid in 2022 the best they can come up with is pickle juice…

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it’s not really a question of acclimation—the Miami players no doubt spend most of their week in air conditioned spaces.  It’s very doubtful they are on the field practicing hard midday every day.  It’s more about strict hydration schedules all week and particularly the days before,  as well as electrolyte replacement.  It was 102 on the field last year.  Every knows this is how it’s going to be there on turn in September 

excellebt question.  Nothing obvious

It was 78 degrees by half time last year and mostly cloudy.

You can fill yourself with all the potassium, electrolytes and hydration schedules and you can still suffer.  The sun beats down on your for 3-4 hours, it takes a toll.  Especially if you don’t get a break from it.

Some people can handle it better, some can’t.  I’ve had heat exhaustion and extreme cramping before after I fully committed to a hydration schedule and filled myself with electrolytes. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/26/2022 at 6:08 AM, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety. 

I just read the entire thread. I don’t care who won the game. The winner is not important. If you took your 80 year old grandma into that stadium what side of the stadium 🏟 would you sit her on for 4 hours. We have many 300 pound men expending lots of energy. This is not right. It has nothing to do with who wins or losses. If the Bills had won I would be saying the same thing. That side of the field was unsafe for player safety. Korey Stringer died of heat stroke for the Minn Vikings. 
This was unsafe period and this effects players in different ways. We may have a few players that might not play in Baltimore because of the effects of this game. I was very worried someone might die in this game. Credit Miami for hanging in there. But look at their defense 90 plays and still doing well. Now look at the Bills offense. They look like they might die out there. If you don’t think that this is a problem then you are the problem. 

The NFL makes many policies that are intended to keep a competitive balance between teams.   On OBL it was stated that the Bills could have only used those Cool Zone misting systems if Miami had chosen to use them first.  Sort of the situation where if one team loses communication to the field the other has to shut it down too.  But if the ambient temperature is 90 on one side and 115 on the other, how is that maintaining a competitive balance?  I would think the NFLPA would weigh in.

• Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

They had proper hydration.  They’ve got all the Gatorades and potassium drinks they need.  I had it in college and I was in a mid major school 20 years ago.  We had everything we needed.  

So here’s a random thought what if due to the unusual weather that was going on at the time it was just unusually hot in Miami that day and no amount of hydration would’ve actually helped but keep in mind that there were players cramping up on both sides of the ball obviously more on the Buffalo side because they’re not used to the weather

On 9/26/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mr. WEO said:

The player was cleared by the independent neurologist on site.  What do the Dolphins have to do with that decision?

Indeed. People grasp at straws. I admit I was VERY surprised he cleared the protocol and came back! But he looked normal, played fine, showed no signs of a concussion. Either they need to review their tests or he was fine.

As for the heat, yes, make the Florida games in September and October 4PM or night games. Problem solved.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eh. I went to a 90 degree game in Buffalo before. I’m sure the snow and cold is a huge advantage to us late in the season.  That’s football. I mean you could make every team have a dome for the fairest competition but where’s the fun in that? 

Again you are missing the point...no one is saying the weather in miami isn't fair lol...we are saying one team in 100% sun on the sidelines while the other in 100% shade is what is unfair...Miami players have an advantage by being acclimated to their weather first off and on top of that they sit in a shaded bench while their opposition cooks like and egg on the opposite sidelines all game

45 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So here’s a random thought what if due to the unusual weather that was going on at the time it was just unusually hot in Miami that day and no amount of hydration would’ve actually helped but keep in mind that there were players cramping up on both sides of the ball obviously more on the Buffalo side because they’re not used to the weather

More on Buffalo bc unlike Miami players who retreat to a fully shaded bench Bills players have no retreat as the visitors bench is full sunlight

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Indeed. People grasp at straws. I admit I was VERY surprised he cleared the protocol and came back! But he looked normal, played fine, showed no signs of a concussion. Either they need to review their tests or he was fine.

As for the heat, yes, make the Florida games in September and October 4PM or night games. Problem solved.

To me it doesn’t affect the game so I don’t really care if Miami did something crooked the players will eventually find out about it and they won’t be happy with it win or not

9 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I agree that weather is weather and both teams played on the same field.  So while the weather seemed to impact Buffalo more, that is the game. 

BUT - The Bills did not game plan to “chew clock” and leave their offense on the field for 3 quarters.  The Bills chewed clock because they had no long pass plays that worked and Miami just couldn’t stop them until the red zone.  The Bills blocking just did not hold up and Josh had to work miracles. The Bills long 23 play drive only produced 3 points because Davis dropped a TD.  The running game contributed nothing.  The one really big 40 yard run by Moss resulted in a missed FG.   The receivers and our OL couldn’t not stay on the field due to heat. 

This was a very weird game because the Bills totally dominated and still lost. Heat exhaustion and injuries played a huge part but Buffalo failed to make enough plays.   Dropped touchdowns, missed FGs, bad blocking, dropped interceptions, bobbled snaps, a terrible defensive call on 3rd and 22, and bad decisions in both two minute drills.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a lopsided game result in a loss.  

Actually, before the game, I remember hearing part of the plan was to try and keep Tua and those receivers off the field as long as they could.  The best way to protect a banged up defense is to make them not have to defend.  If you go back and look at our drives, Josh was taking the play clock all the way down.  To me, it was clear they were trying to slow the game down.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Bills were cramping more because they didn't get a break from the sun.  

They were losing more than they were retaining.  Players were getting IV's at half time and that still didn't keep them from cramping.  

I've had heat cramps before and it's just awful.  I looked like Diggs on the sideline....you are too cramped up and exhausted to move.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was 78 degrees by half time last year and mostly cloudy.

You can fill yourself with all the potassium, electrolytes and hydration schedules and you can still suffer.  The sun beats down on your for 3-4 hours, it takes a toll.  Especially if you don’t get a break from it.

Some people can handle it better, some can’t.  I’ve had heat exhaustion and extreme cramping before after I fully committed to a hydration schedule and filled myself with electrolytes. 

My point was that the Dolphins seemed not to be as affected.

11 hours ago, jkeerie said:

They were drinking blue lights the whole game!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.