Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

9 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Each stadium offers its own level of homefield advantage.

For some teams (such as Buffalo), that edge comes from weather.  Our hometown players get used to the snow and wind, while the visiting domed/warm-weather teams often struggle to get acclimated.  They say that Seattle was built to amplify sound, making it incredibly difficult for visiting offenses to communicate.  Denver's stadium is at a higher altitude, which results in lower oxygen levels and causes visiting teams to get gassed more easily.  At the Meadowlands, stadium officials were known to open the tunnel doors when visiting teams were kicking and close them for the Jets/Giants.

Normally these types of things don't bother me.  But what I saw yesterday was definitely on a different level.  There were dozens of players going down with heat stroke, heat related illness, etc.  I've never witnessed that in a football game before.  Coaches and players have often talked about the heat-advantage at the Dolphins stadium, but this seemed remarkably unsafe.  Not sure if there is a solution though, other than make Miami play in the later time slot during the early part of the season.

I agree. The amount of players showing signs of heat exhaustion was unbelievable! I’ve never seen anything like it before (but I’m not watching every Miami home game either). Most of our players, just looked like they were barely holding on. It was hard to watch, yet it also showed just how damn tough they are. They fought like hell! 

11 hours ago, Beast said:

It was no issue when we won there in September last season 35-0.

Wow I didn't know that Miami had the same exact weather every day in September every year.

Was half our team injured for that game too?

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Funny but WGR said that the conditions were almost identical so who knows.

Weather records show it was 10 degrees cooler during last year's game with more cloud cover. And I think you're not appreciating the fact that we couldn't rotate players this year because everyone was hurt. Just the sheer number of players leaving with heat sickness or cramps should be an obvious indicator of the difference between the conditions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Have we really got to the point of reviewing the weather from September 2021? 😅

Pretty sure the people bringing up 2021 weather are the people arguing that this conversation is all because we lost and not because we saw players throwing up and falling over from heat exhaustion.

Either we build our new stadium to ensure the home bench is protected from the elements and ban heaters on the visitor sidelines or the dolphins allow a few popup tents and cooling benches.

Its that easy. But we all know that no one is going to be a big enough dick to design our new stadium to prevent the visitor side from getting heat. But hOmEFieLD AdVAnTaGe am i right?

46 minutes ago, MPT said:

Weather records show it was 10 degrees cooler during last year's game with more cloud cover. And I think you're not appreciating the fact that we couldn't rotate players this year because everyone was hurt. Just the sheer number of players leaving with heat sickness or cramps should be an obvious indicator of the difference between the conditions.

Can you send a link for the weather record for last year compared to this year?

Just outbid curiosity.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can you send a link for the weather record for last year compared to this year?

Just outbid curiosity.

Not sure if serious or not but I posted this on the prior page.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/fl/miami/KMIA/date/2022-9-25

Yesterday:

Time Temperature Dew Point Humidity Wind Wind Speed Wind Gust Pressure Precip. Condition

12:53 PM89 °F72 °F57 %ESE6 mph0 mph29.89 in0.0 inPartly Cloudy

1:53 PM89 °F73 °F59 %ESE9 mph0 mph29.86 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

2:53 PM88 °F74 °F63 %E10 mph0 mph29.84 in0.0 inPartly Cloudy

3:53 PM88 °F75 °F65 %E13 mph0 mph29.82 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/fl/miami/KMIA/date/2021-9-19

Last year:

Time Temperature Dew Point Humidity Wind Wind Speed Wind Gust Pressure Precip. Condition

12:53 PM88 °F76 °F67 %E9 mph0 mph30.01 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

1:40 PM81 °F75 °F82 %VAR3 mph0 mph30.00 in0.1 inHeavy T-Storm

1:53 PM81 °F76 °F85 %W7 mph0 mph30.00 in0.2 inT-Storm

2:53 PM77 °F75 °F94 %CALM0 mph0 mph29.98 in0.4 inT-Storm

3:13 PM78 °F75 °F90 %CALM0 mph0 mph29.97 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

3:53 PM81 °F76 °F85 %CALM0 mph0 mph29.96 in0.0 inMostly Cloud

6 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Confuse the winds so it doesn't snow on the Buffalo sideline yet leave the Miami sideline in waist deep drifts.

And if they're going to schedule a Bills game in Miami in September @1:00, they need to schedule Miami at Buffalo at 8:00 the final game of the season.

There’s the answer right there!  

If the league gives a crap about player safety it needs to be discussed. These guys shouldn't be out there playing in that insanity. Guarantee there were some Miami players that were feeling it too. 

I said in another thread that I hope when the Fish come up here in December that the high temp for the day is like 8 or something. They can freeze their little fish faces off. 

I think it is a very real problem and I think there are solutions, but I don't really think the NFL is going to make the necessary changes.  Solutions could include scheduling home games in Miami (and Tampa Bay) either in the morning or evening to avoid that brutal afternoon sun and humidity during the first 4 or five weeks of the regular season.  However, I don't think the league would ever adopt that as a policy because it screws up TV contracts.

15 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yesterday:

Last year:

Cloud cover makes a big difference...temps in that sun on the field are likely 20+ degrees warmer.

Eric Wood reported the on field temp yesterday was 112.

Last year would likely have been around 95 with the cloud cover

Edited by Big Turk

14 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think it is a very real problem and I think there are solutions, but I don't really think the NFL is going to make the necessary changes.  Solutions could include scheduling home games in Miami (and Tampa Bay) either in the morning or evening to avoid that brutal afternoon sun and humidity during the first 4 or five weeks of the regular season.  However, I don't think the league would ever adopt that as a policy because it screws up TV contracts.

Morning football sounds like fun but you are right, missing half the country while they are still sleeping is unlikely.

51 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yesterday:

Last year:

Thanks!

10 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’ve been searching for all the posts whining about the stadium after all the games the Bills won in Miami … can’t find them

This was discussed. They were all cooler and we didn't see the effects on players we saw sunday. Nothing to do with the loss.

Show me a game previously where we saw this effect.

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

This was discussed. They were all cooler and we didn't see the effects on players we saw sunday. Nothing to do with the loss.

Thanks for the links.  Another poster was calling several ignorant because he said the temp/elements were identical last year.

On 9/26/2022 at 6:26 AM, 298Woody said:

I live here is south Florida and have been saying since the new stadium bakes the opponent by design of the owner of the Dolphins. The position and roof design give complete shade on the home team side and cook the visitors. The only solution I see is to ban 1 pm games from this stadium in September and October or extens the roof to shade the entire stadium. This is the tropics.

The hottest part of the day is 3 P.M. so moving to a 4 P.M. kickoff isn't much better.  Would have to be a night game to really make a difference.

21 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

They weren't all cooler. The game last year was within one degree of this year with the same humidity.

The difference this year was the bills game planned to chew clock and their offense was on the field for almost the equivalent of 3 entire quarters.  Last year they had the ball for 28 minutes.

The Bills blew them out last year, so nobody cared.

But if something is actually an unfair advantage, people should be making noise about it regardless of if they win or lose, which isn't the case.  It's only a big deal now because we lost.

Edited by Billz4ever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.