Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

2 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

How far will the league let a team go in "building in an advantage"?

for example;

When the Bills build their new stadium can they put the visitors dressing room on the third floor with only stairs for access? Can they build the staircase with narrower than normal treads, can they vary the rise between the steps to greatly increase the probability of somebody falling down the stairs or at least twisting an ankle or knee?

Can they put the staircase to the visitor's locker room about a block away that can only be accessed via dimly lit tunnels that have indiscriminately placed changes in elevations and steps? 

Can they design the stadium, so the shape creates a venturi effect with the winter winds that dumps it directly onto the visitor's bench?

Don't get me wrong, it makes no difference to me if we win or lose the third game of the season, I'm only interested in making the playoffs and winning the LAST game of our season. The construction of hard rock stadium, and the rule that allows the home team to dictate which jerseys the visitors wear DEFINATLY create a "home field" advantage.  

They could build the Bills bench out of the wind, rain and snow but the opponents bench can be out in the open, getting hit dead in the face by 0 degree winds and snow squalls, rain etc.

Seattle's stadium is designed to make it louder when their fans are screaming. Denver is at altitude, domes make things equal... Use what mother nature gives you.

5 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You keep repeating yourself. I get it. Shade, no shade. And I keep repeating myself: why the complaints this year and not last year? Answer: we won last year, handily. That's crybaby stuff, right there. 

Ultimately it's is a player safety issue first and foremost and 2nd it is almost a form of cheating imo

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

They could build the Bills bench out of the wind, rain and snow but the opponents bench can be out in the open, getting hit dead in the face by 0 degree winds and snow squalls, rain etc.

Seattle's stadium is designed to make it louder when their fans are screaming. Denver is at altitude, domes make things equal... Use what mother nature gives you.

Design a cone in the tunnels and have the wind blow directly on the Dolphins sideline.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Design a cone in the tunnels and have the wind blow directly on the Dolphins sideline.  

Confuse the winds so it doesn't snow on the Buffalo sideline yet leave the Miami sideline in waist deep drifts.

And if they're going to schedule a Bills game in Miami in September @1:00, they need to schedule Miami at Buffalo at 8:00 the final game of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billever76 said:

And add radiant heat on our sidelines lol

But seriously that's how crazy this could become...ok it's an advantage in miami so now what's to stop the other teams from redesigning their stadiums for their own advantages and how far can it go...it can't be ok for one team and not the other.....the elements are one thing but two totally different sidelines is actually pretty crazy lol..genius but borderline unfair at the least 

5 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Again, we agree to disagree. That's what I like about this board. 

:beer:

I think it's fine as long as it doesn't affect the player's health. When you have the opposing quarterback seemingly throwing up on the sideline and others breaking down from the heat then it should be looked into.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You keep repeating yourself. I get it. Shade, no shade. And I keep repeating myself: why the complaints this year and not last year? Answer: we won last year, handily. That's crybaby stuff, right there. 

I will give repeating myself a go. Haha. 

Weather didn't cost us a game. I don't care about any of it. Shade v no shade. I don't care about the altitude in Denver. It is all fine. 

The one thing I do take issue with is that teams can't use reasonable tools that are normally available to help navigate the game. Using Denver as an example, everybody is using O2. What if it is 5 degrees out and the new stadium is built on a hot spring, but it only warms the Bills sideline? Under current rules visitors couldn't use a heated bench. As a Buffalo fan I would say that is a BS homefield advantage. 

It is a rule I didn't know or care that much about before my team was effected by it. I won't deny that. But I also think there is a very real need to change the rules. 

The equity rule should likely only be for in game communication and technology and the NFL should have an "always available" list for sideline equipment that includes heated/cooling benches, heaters, fans, misters and oxygen. 

• Agree 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

I think it's fine as long as it doesn't affect the player's health. When you have the opposing quarterback seemingly throwing up on the sideline and others breaking down from the heat then it should be looked into.

I've been saying it's called home field advantage, but I don't totally disagree with at least looking into this and have the competition committee discuss it. I don't expect any changes to start times. My point all along was how there wasn't a single peep about the heat last year on TBD. And it was hot for last year's game in Miami, also played in mid Sept. But we won the game, so no complaints. 

Just now, Dopey said:

I've been saying it's called home field advantage, but I don't totally disagree with at least looking into this and have the competition committee discuss it. I don't expect any changes to start times. My point all along was how there wasn't a single peep about the heat last year on TBD. And it was hot for last year's game in Miami, also played in mid Sept. But we won the game, so no complaints. 

Just posted elsewhere about last year's match. Last year we were far more balanced between defense and offense because we weren't shredded on one side of the ball. This year we prolonged the offense's time on the field to protect the defense, but it ended up to the detriment of the offense.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Just posted elsewhere about last year's match. Last year we were far more balanced between defense and offense because we weren't shredded on one side of the ball. This year we prolonged the offense's time on the field to protect the defense, but it ended up to the detriment of the offense.

I can see the offense trying to help out that way. It was a close game. A buddy commented on it being a dog fight, but we made too many mistakes and that's what cost us. Milano didn't drop a pick 6 because of the heat, Davis didn't drop that TD because of the heat. Bass didn't miss the FG because of the heat. The heat wasn't the reason we didn't get the play off before halftime. The heat wasn't the reason we didn't get the ball snapped in time to spike it for a final FG attempt. 

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I will give repeating myself a go. Haha. 

Weather didn't cost us a game. I don't care about any of it. Shade v no shade. I don't care about the altitude in Denver. It is all fine. 

The one thing I do take issue with is that teams can't use reasonable tools that are normally available to help navigate the game. Using Denver as an example, everybody is using O2. What if it is 5 degrees out and the new stadium is built on a hot spring, but it only warms the Bills sideline? Under current rules visitors couldn't use a heated bench. As a Buffalo fan I would say that is a BS homefield advantage. 

It is a rule I didn't know or care that much about before my team was effected by it. I won't deny that. But I also think there is a very real need to change the rules. 

The equity rule should likely only be for in game communication and technology and the NFL should have an "always available" list for sideline equipment that includes heated/cooling benches, heaters, fans, misters and oxygen. 

I can agree to this. 👍

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I can see the offense trying to help out that way. It was a close game. A buddy commented on it being a dog fight, but we made too many mistakes and that's what cost us. Milano didn't drop a pick 6 because of the heat, Davis didn't drop that TD because of the heat. Bass didn't miss the FG because of the heat. The heat wasn't the reason we didn't get the play off before halftime. The heat wasn't the reason we didn't get the ball snapped in time to spike it for a final FG attempt. 

I can agree to this. 👍

I do think a lot of mistakes on offense, particularly late on, were down to mental and physical fatigue though. Bass and Milano didn't have as much of an excuse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Because it was a lot cooler and mostly cloudy....

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/fl/miami/KMIA/date/2022-9-25

Yesterday:

Time Temperature Dew Point Humidity Wind Wind Speed Wind Gust Pressure Precip. Condition

12:53 PM89 °F72 °F57 %ESE6 mph0 mph29.89 in0.0 inPartly Cloudy

1:53 PM89 °F73 °F59 %ESE9 mph0 mph29.86 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

2:53 PM88 °F74 °F63 %E10 mph0 mph29.84 in0.0 inPartly Cloudy

3:53 PM88 °F75 °F65 %E13 mph0 mph29.82 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/fl/miami/KMIA/date/2021-9-19

Last year:

Time Temperature Dew Point Humidity Wind Wind Speed Wind Gust Pressure Precip. Condition

12:53 PM88 °F76 °F67 %E9 mph0 mph30.01 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

1:40 PM81 °F75 °F82 %VAR3 mph0 mph30.00 in0.1 inHeavy T-Storm

1:53 PM81 °F76 °F85 %W7 mph0 mph30.00 in0.2 inT-Storm

2:53 PM77 °F75 °F94 %CALM0 mph0 mph29.98 in0.4 inT-Storm

3:13 PM78 °F75 °F90 %CALM0 mph0 mph29.97 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy

3:53 PM81 °F76 °F85 %CALM0 mph0 mph29.96 in0.0 inMostly Cloud

We had a lot of the same players last year and they weren't suffering like this. You literally have players laying on the ground, and throwing up. Like wtf guys. Let them have shade when off the field.

All we are saying is the visitor bench should be allowed to have shade, and cooling benches. Miami doesn't use them because they built their stadium in the damn shade.

Like someone else said, we should just build our bench enclosed in the new stadium and say "hey we aren't using heaters, you can't either.".

Edited by What a Tuel

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

This certainly effects players health.  It's a fact known by everyone that athletes DO die from heat stress.  Why on God's green Earth wouldn't the league and NFLPA agree that keeping the players safe is JOB ONE!  I certainly would happily give up watching football if I knew it would save one single life.  It boggles me that taking the risk of killing someone would be considered a "home field advantage" when it could be easily avoided. 

An easy way to correct the "problem" with the bench arrangement at hard rock stadium is for the NFL to make a rule that the visiting team in all games gets to choose which bench they want to sit on. I would hazard a guess that both sides of the field get shaded in a quick amount of time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.