Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yesterday's wet bulb index was close to 100. The NFL doesn't care about anything but money & ratings. Why do you think they shoved Tua back out there after he clearly suffered a concussion.  Back issues my ass.  Every year the NFL choreographed games. Yesterday was no different. Until someone dies they'll continue to bend their contrived safety rules.

If you use the actual on field temp of 112 as reported by Eric Wood and the humidity, it was actually over 103, which is borderline dangerous for the human body to be doing anything outside, let alone running around for many hours with a bunch of equipment on. 

If temperatures continue to keep heading in the direction they are and the hottest parts of the year continue to begin earlier and extend later, Miami will literally have games tat have to be delayed or postponed due to being unplayable within 10-15 years. It's unavoidable. There is no amount of conditioning or training that will allow a human body to "get used to it".  The body simply will not be able to cool itself properly.

It also will be very dangerous for fans who are likely drinking alcohol and not hydrated properly either.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Steve Tasker “I played a ton of games in Miami and never felt it that hot.”

The hottest game I’ve ever been to was in Jacksonville. Marcus Stroud had just left the Jags to join the Bills and he said it was the hottest game he’d ever played in. All hot days are not created equal. We watched much of the game in the shade and AC on monitors over the concession stand. We were the last people in our row to give up and go inside, and this was early in the game. It was dangerously hot, and the Bills were rotating the OLine for safety reasons. 

I don’t know what restrictions exist that would prevent us from providing some kind of shade. If it obstructs the views of fans in the first few rows, too bad. It is a deliberate and unfair competitive advantage that also is related to player safety. It’s not the same as going to Buffalo in December because it’s the same cold for both teams. 

The stadium design and putting Tua back into the game after clearly being concussed were a bad look for the league yesterday. Period. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Not surprised if the Dolphins organization encourages 1pm games early in the year, knowing that they have this advantage. 

In Buffalo, BOTH teams suffer in the cold. In Miami, only 1 has to deal with heat exhaustion. 

How could you watch the game yesterday and not see that? When have you ever seen so many injuries and unexplainable blunders by 1 team? Have people put 2 and 2 together yet? I'll give some of the posters here a minute. .

I didn't read the entire thread and apologize if this was mentioned already...  I watched the game with a Raiders fan and he pointed out that Miami always chooses to wear their white uniforms when playing at home, which will also contribute to the sun/heat becoming a factor during the game.

"It was up there like top two top three hottest I'd say," said Rousseau who played his college ball in the same stadium for the University of Miami. "We had a real hot game against Georgia Tech, but even in college football, you don't always kick off at 1 pm. You get like four o'clock kick off. Sometimes it's a night game. Being out there at 1pm is different."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-we-learned-from-bills-vs-dolphins-week-3

• Thank you (+1) 2

The reason I posted earlier to suck it up and quit crying is we played in Miami on Sept. 19th last year. It got up to 90 degrees that day and we won 35-0. That 90 degrees was not field temperature, so I'm sure it was hotter on the field. I don't recall ANYONE here at TBD complaining about the heat and wanting to change start times. We also seem to relish Miami going to Buffalo in December. Why? You know. 

Sounds like crying and whining to me, along with a touch of hypocrisy. Again, suck it up and quit crying. Miami beat us.

21 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Do any of you guys that say shade never made a difference work outside for a living? Just curious. 

Never seen anything like yesterday, felt bad for Bills players. 

Mowing down here in Fl. I can tell you it's probably a 20 degree difference.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety. 

I just read the entire thread. I don’t care who won the game. The winner is not important. If you took your 80 year old grandma into that stadium what side of the stadium 🏟 would you sit her on for 4 hours. We have many 300 pound men expending lots of energy. This is not right. It has nothing to do with who wins or losses. If the Bills had won I would be saying the same thing. That side of the field was unsafe for player safety. Korey Stringer died of heat stroke for the Minn Vikings. 
This was unsafe period and this effects players in different ways. We may have a few players that might not play in Baltimore because of the effects of this game. I was very worried someone might die in this game. Credit Miami for hanging in there. But look at their defense 90 plays and still doing well. Now look at the Bills offense. They look like they might die out there. If you don’t think that this is a problem then you are the problem. 

excuses. 

some guy named “oldschoolfootball” complaining about the heat. Can’t make it up. Love it here after a loss

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is ridiculous.  Why is the fan base turning into a bunch whiners?  We lost the game.  The Bills brought in their own air conditioned benches with the overhang.  It's South Florida.  It's hot and humid.  We knew this going into the game.  

We need to just take our medicine and take the L like Kyle Brandt said.  I love the Bills to death, especially Josh Allen.  I've been a season ticket holder for 10 years despite being thousands of miles away from the stadium because of my military service.  But let's be real.  Josh Allen crumbled again in a 1 score game.  He had two opportunities to win the game, and didn't.  Josh Allen crumbled, and the coaching staff made clock management mistakes AGAIN.  This is on them.  This isn't on the heat, the Dolphins, or the refs.  It's all on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

This is ridiculous.  Why is the fan base turning into a bunch whiners?  We lost the game.  The Bills brought in their own air conditioned benches with the overhang.  It's South Florida.  It's hot and humid.  We knew this going into the game.  

We need to just take our medicine and take the L like Kyle Brandt said.  I love the Bills to death, especially Josh Allen.  I've been a season ticket holder for 10 years despite being thousands of miles away from the stadium because of my military service.  But let's be real.  Josh Allen crumbled again in a 1 score game.  He had two opportunities to win the game, and didn't.  Josh Allen crumbled, and the coaching staff made clock management mistakes AGAIN.  This is on them.  This isn't on the heat, the Dolphins, or the refs.  It's all on the Bills.

This is about one team being baked into oblivion for 3 hours with no respite even on the bench while the home team gets to atleast take breathers in the shade...I don't know how you can't acknowledge that is a huge competitive advantage..like I said earlier if you could clone Miami and have them hypothetically face of against each other the team on the visitors side would lose 8 out of 10 times...it's an advantage anyway you look at it

2 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

This is about one team being baked into oblivion for 3 hours with no respite even on the bench while the home team gets to atleast take breathers in the shade...I don't know how you can't acknowledge that is a huge competitive advantage..like I said earlier if you could clone Miami and have them hypothetically face of against each other the team on the visitors side would lose 8 out of 10 times...it's an advantage anyway you look at it

The Bills brought their own AC bench.  They even showed Josh Allen and the offense on that bench with an overhang over them and it was AC'd.  Dolphins players were dropping too.  It's hot, it's humid.  Everybody knew that going in.  If we win 22-21, nobody is posting this ***** like a whiney excuse.  I'm sorry, but they're not.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pocoboy said:

Obviously Miami is going to be hot, but there are 4:25pm game slots to take it out of the worst. It's not like FIFA kept the Qatari World Cup in June played at Noon.

The only way the Dolphins can win is to cheat.

That's not cheating.

3 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Did you quote the wrong person? I am not disagreeing with your points. Huge differences in temperatures. I was responding to someone asking why we weren't complaining prior years and that was bc we 1) didnt see this horrible effect on players we saw yesterday and 2) it was much cooler.

You are arguing that it was just as hot which I proved wasnt the case. But ok. Either way I hope to never see that effect on players again any time soon and hope that the NFL will establish a heat advisory for player safety.

Whoops.  Yes, quoted the wrong person.  Apologies

What they are doing seems kind of old school and bush league to me in the year 2022, and yet I think they should be allowed to do it.

BUT by the same token, away teams should ABSOLUTELY be allowed to play the same game on their own terms as well.  By that, I mean erecting fence/roof structures that place the bench in total shade for the duration of the game.

We already flew in big expensive air conditioned benches for the game...I have no idea why we can't put in shade-creating structures as well....

And we obviously need to do something better about hydration.

But get some shade-creating structures on the sideline down there next year!

WTF?

37 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

It's a clear advantage, sure. Like having Miami come to Buffalo in December. Did you complain last year after we beat Miami, in Miami, on a September day that reached over 90 degrees on the field? If we were able to overcome that advantage last year, what's so different this year? Oh, we lost. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.