Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

It wasn't brought up because we didnt see this effect on players during the game in the past 4 years. The real feel temperature was in the 100's.

2018: 12/02 85 degrees

2019: 11/17 64 degrees

2020: 9/20 77 degrees

2021: 9/19 81 degrees

2022: 9/26 89 degrees

It has been brought up before.  I’ve talked about it with my Miami fan buddies several times.  They know it’s unfair and unsafe.  They think the September games should be played @ 4pm but love that they aren’t because it’s a HUGE advantage to them.  

there’s a big difference between 85, 74, 77, 81 and 89——- No?  

Not sure what your point is?  That there are people writing on a message board about this because we lost?  Did you watch the game.  It was an obvious issue and was discussed by the analysts…..they’re talking about it on every tv show right now….. but we’re being babies.  Wake up

7 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

It wasn't brought up because we didnt see this effect on players during the game in the past 4 years. The real feel temperature was in the 100's.

2018: 12/02 85 degrees

2019: 11/17 64 degrees

2020: 9/20 77 degrees

2021: 9/19 81 degrees

2022: 9/26 89 degrees

And Eric Wood said the actual temperature on the field was 112

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I don't want to make excuses.  It's one game and the bills blew a lot of chances...

Yesterday was a serious health risk.  People can die (and have died) from exerting themselves in conditions like that.  

Unfortunately, they put Tua back in with an obvious concussion. To tell me it was his back is silly and insulting. The Dolphins do not care one little bit about player safety, even their own players. 

• Agree 1

Just now, uticaclub said:

We lost to a better team due to coaching decisions, dont blame the weather

LMAO...that's pretty funny.  The were better on the scoreboard but in no way were they the better team.  They punted 5 times including going 3 and out 3 times in the 2nd half against a team missing their entire starting secondary, losing another CB early in the 2nd quarter and having to play a rookie PS CB call up and missing 2 DT's.  Do you know wat would have happened if the Bills offense faced a similar scenario?  They might have put up 80.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Boyst62 said:

If we would have got that pass to McKenzie, or a game winning field goal this thread has 3 pages and two of them about Edmunds. 

Right….but there would still be a thread because the players safety, more so the Bills players safety was at risk due to stadium design.  

people acting like this is not a talking point are crazy-  there’s an easy fix-  schedule the home Miami games @ 4pm on sunday or in prime time.  It’s not rocket science.  Player safety matters.  Players could have died. 

Allen didn’t connect with McKenzie due to exhaustion.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If Miami wants to continue with this stadium design then the sides of the field

should be decided by a pregame coin flip. See how fast they change it then. 

Thats true but there's a bigger point.  These guys are warriors, on both sides, and they will not stop.  Diggs kept coming off and going g back on.  

It's dangerous for humans to do that.  I'm sure that many pf these guys, probably Dolphins too, wo t be well tomorrow.   It was really bad out there.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety. 

The NFL has been playing games in this stadium...for 35 years.  Now it needs to be looked into?  

Here's an article from 2020, when the Bills played in Miami on 9/20 (1pm game):

"Location: Hard Rock Stadium — Miami Gardens, Florida

High temperature: 90 degrees

Feels like: 102 degrees

Percent rain: 50%

Humidity: 65%

Wind: 10 mph

With all that South Florida heat, it sure feels like a great day for the Buffalo Bills to be wearing colors and for the Dolphins to be in all-white — which is exactly how Miami chose to tackle their uniform situation as the home team. Between the design of Hard Rock Stadium to keep the opposing team in the sun through most of the game and Miami’s experience working in the humidity versus the much more mild temperatures in Buffalo, there is a significant home field advantage to be had here for Miami. The high temperature this past week in Buffalo? 72 degrees. It only exceeded 70 on two days this past week.

So now it falls onto the Dolphins to keep this game close, let the humidity do its work and late in the game, Miami’s experience and conditioning in the heat can serve as a potential deciding factor. Miami will have to execute, but the avenue for success is there."

Bills won 31-28

Same articles were written for the September game last year--all mentioning the "advantage" to the Dolphins.   Bills won 35-0....

Obviously it's tough weather to play in, but decades of experience by the Bills staff of playing down there (and the past two years!) should have had them with this team a lot better prepared with hydration routines beginning 2 days before the game.

Everyone knows about the issues at "Joe Robbie" stadium for 35 years, yet suddenly  it needs looking into.   This is like all the posters who went nuts, after one very windy game last year (and over 50 years of NFL football in windy Buffalo), screaming for a dome as this team cannot play in the wind.

The training staff knew the Bills would be in the sun as they are every time they play there.  Something seems different in their preparation this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We lost to a better team due to coaching decisions, dont blame the weather

Well, that is actually true.  In those conditions, they were the better team. Just like the Patriots were the better team in Buffalo last year.  

But that isn't the point.  It wasn't dangerous to the players last year.  

It was hot in Tampa yesterday.  I didn't notice this level of cramping in the GB roster.  This thread is sour grapes.  You have a multi-million organization, professional athletes, a medical staff and maybe they just didn't prepare the roster knowing the obvious......... weather conditions.  What if the Bills had pulled it out ?  What would we be saying then ?  This team is superb no matter the weather ?  Probably.  They got beat.  It happens.  They're 2-1 and in a week or two this will all be forgotten.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

LMAO...that's pretty funny.  The were better on the scoreboard but in no way were they the better team.  They punted 5 times including going 3 and out 3 times in the 2nd half against a team missing their entire starting secondary, losing another CB early in the 2nd quarter and having to play a rookie PS CB call up and missing 2 DT's.  Do you know wat would have happened if the Bills offense faced a similar scenario?  They might have put up 80.

They were facing the 31st ranked Defense....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Unfortunately, they put Tua back in with an obvious concussion. To tell me it was his back is silly and insulting. The Dolphins do not care one little bit about player safety, even their own players. 

An interesting commentary on the Dolphins. They don't seem to care, do they.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It has been brought up before.  I’ve talked about it with my Miami fan buddies several times.  They know it’s unfair and unsafe.  They think the September games should be played @ 4pm but love that they aren’t because it’s a HUGE advantage to them.  

there’s a big difference between 85, 74, 77, 81 and 89——- No?  

Not sure what your point is?  That there are people writing on a message board about this because we lost?  Did you watch the game.  It was an obvious issue and was discussed by the analysts…..they’re talking about it on every tv show right now….. but we’re being babies.  Wake up

Did you quote the wrong person? I am not disagreeing with your points. Huge differences in temperatures. I was responding to someone asking why we weren't complaining prior years and that was bc we 1) didnt see this horrible effect on players we saw yesterday and 2) it was much cooler.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah PFR is wrong. Ooooookaaaaaaaay

You are arguing that it was just as hot which I proved wasnt the case. But ok. Either way I hope to never see that effect on players again any time soon and hope that the NFL will establish a heat advisory for player safety.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL has been playing games in this stadium...for 35 years.  Now it needs to be looked into?  

Here's an article from 2020, when the Bills played in Miami on 9/20 (1pm game):

"Location: Hard Rock Stadium — Miami Gardens, Florida

High temperature: 90 degrees

Feels like: 102 degrees

Percent rain: 50%

Humidity: 65%

Wind: 10 mph

With all that South Florida heat, it sure feels like a great day for the Buffalo Bills to be wearing colors and for the Dolphins to be in all-white — which is exactly how Miami chose to tackle their uniform situation as the home team. Between the design of Hard Rock Stadium to keep the opposing team in the sun through most of the game and Miami’s experience working in the humidity versus the much more mild temperatures in Buffalo, there is a significant home field advantage to be had here for Miami. The high temperature this past week in Buffalo? 72 degrees. It only exceeded 70 on two days this past week.

So now it falls onto the Dolphins to keep this game close, let the humidity do its work and late in the game, Miami’s experience and conditioning in the heat can serve as a potential deciding factor. Miami will have to execute, but the avenue for success is there."

Bills won 31-28

Same articles were written for the September game last year--all mentioning the "advantage" to the Dolphins.   Bills won 35-0....

Obviously it's tough weather to play in, but decades of experience by the Bills staff of playing down there (and the past two years!) should have had them with this team a lot better prepared with hydration routines beginning 2 days before the game.

Everyone knows about the issues at "Joe Robbie" stadium for 35 years, yet suddenly  it needs looking into.   This is like all the posters who went nuts, after one very windy game last year (and over 50 years of NFL football in windy Buffalo), screaming for a dome as this team cannot play in the wind.

The training staff knew the Bills would be in the sun as they are every time they play there.  Something seems different in their preparation this year.

Yep, no excuses. We lost because we are losers who beat ourselves in the worst way possible. It’s been happening for years. It’s why we will never get home field advantage until we stop doing that. Part of that reason is because we haven’t had a dominant Oline in years. Can’t establish a run game because of it and we become 1D. We have been great at times because Allen transcends it, he couldn’t this time because injuries caught up to us. We will lose these kinds of games u til Beane finally gets his head out of his rear. 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Did you quote the wrong person? I am not disagreeing with your points. Huge differences in temperatures. I was responding to someone asking why we weren't complaining prior years and that was bc we 1) didnt see this horrible effect on players we saw yesterday and 2) it was much cooler.

You are arguing that it was just as hot which I proved wasnt the case. But ok. Either way I hope to never see that effect on players again any time soon and hope that the NFL will establish a heat advisory for player safety.

Lmao I had links too.

Imagine crying about player safety because we are now 9-2 against this team in our last 11. 

If I was a Dolphins fan, I would link this topic to their message board and die laughing at the histrionics.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The player was cleared by the independent neurologist on site.  What do the Dolphins have to do with that decision?

It’s just more BS excuses. Nobody here has the balls to just say we aren’t good enough yet. Nobody wants to ask why we lack mental fortitude in close games or why we continuously give up huge 3rd and long plays or choke in key moments. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.