Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Player safety is at risk due to the design of the stadium. How many Miami players were falling over from exhaustion and cramps? 

Definitely the best home field advantage that exists in the nfl 

Rex Ryan was just talking about that on Get Up...that the Dolphins do have the best home field advantage and he pointed out the sidelines.  The opposing team sits in the sun the entire time even when they're resting...so your body never really can recover after being on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Each stadium offers its own level of homefield advantage.

For some teams (such as Buffalo), that edge comes from weather.  Our hometown players get used to the snow and wind, while the visiting domed/warm-weather teams often struggle to get acclimated.  They say that Seattle was built to amplify sound, making it incredibly difficult for visiting offenses to communicate.  Denver's stadium is at a higher altitude, which results in lower oxygen levels and causes visiting teams to get gassed more easily.  At the Meadowlands, stadium officials were known to open the tunnel doors when visiting teams were kicking and close them for the Jets/Giants.

Normally these types of things don't bother me.  But what I saw yesterday was definitely on a different level.  There were dozens of players going down with heat stroke, heat related illness, etc.  I've never witnessed that in a football game before.  Coaches and players have often talked about the heat-advantage at the Dolphins stadium, but this seemed remarkably unsafe.  Not sure if there is a solution though, other than make Miami play in the later time slot during the early part of the season.

Home field advantage should mostly come down to crowd noise.   Having one team being more adept at playing under certain conditions is fine.  But yesterday these teams were not playing under the same conditions.   a zero degree game in buffalo in December is not the same.  Both teams are out there in it and there's not any temperature difference from one sideline to the other.    Yesterday there's reports of temperature readings in excess of 20 degrees difference from Miami to Buffalo Sideline.  

Edited by Lost
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Right because this has been brought up so much over the last 4 years. But we don’t care about the loss. Lmao

It’s not always 90+ degrees in the stadium. When it is- it’s a clear advantage.  Do you disagree? 

The visiting teams players safety is at risk 

when temperatures reach 90+, while the home teams players are at lesser risk. Player safety should be equal.  In that stadium, under certain conditions, it isn’t equal.  Player safety comes first.  

But apparently not when playing in Miami when its 90 degrees.  The home team has a decided advantage.  

this isn’t about wins and losses.  You may claim that it is, but you’re wrong.  Per usual. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dirtybills said:

This is some of the softest crap I have ever seen and this is why this franchise won't win the big one. We are talking about elite athletes that played on a hot day.

Training staff should have had them better prepared. Same tired team at the end of Chiefs game.

High school teams and college teams playing during the day all the time here and have way less cramping compared to a pro team.

Team is really a reflection of the fat soft Buffalo fan base.

Lay off the wings and eat a vegetable and maybe you will be in better condition to handle the heat.

Also, Bills fans how smelly was you 23.00 Spirit flights home? We know you didn't pay for the extra night to shower before flying home.

LOL

Dolphins players were cramping as well and they were in the shade.  

Did you notice we didn't lose defensive players during the cramping?  It was because our offense was out there twice as long.

And no, you cannot practice in the state of Georgia if the field is above 90 degrees because kids have died and why they put in that rule.

9 minutes ago, dirtybills said:

This is some of the softest crap I have ever seen and this is why this franchise won't win the big one. We are talking about elite athletes that played on a hot day.

Training staff should have had them better prepared. Same tired team at the end of Chiefs game.

High school teams and college teams playing during the day all the time here and have way less cramping compared to a pro team.

Lay off the wings and eat a vegetable and maybe you will be in better condition to handle the heat.

Also, Bills fans how smelly was you 23.00 Spirit flights home? We know you didn't pay for the extra night to shower before flying home.

Want to fight? 

8 minutes ago, dirtybills said:

Hope you enjoyed your stay. 👋🏻 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Fish make Belicheat look like Honest Abe.  Building the stadium that way was no accident.  Next-level cheating.

Can’t call it cheating.  To me it’s genius if you’re looking for a homefield advantage. Don’t get me wrong, I hate that the Sun impacted our guys like that. It really made a huge difference. 

But if it’s not against the rules, it’s not cheating. It’s simply an incredible homefield advantage. Really no way for Buffalo to gain that kind of mid-game weather advantage.  I’m sure none of us would complain if there was a way to do so. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I generally agree and at large it doesn’t bother me. But a 30 degree temperature advantage where away team is at 112 degrees in the sun and the rules say no cooling fans/benches is wild. 

Most games aren’t as dangerous as it was yesterday. There has to be a league rule in the hot or cold so that when things are dangerous teams can at least have safety measures like fans. 

This.  I dont mind the team has the sun advantage.  When it comes to actual player safety though then they need to be allowed to do what it takes.  If they arent allowed cooling misters and stuff then thats just plain wrong.  Just like if teams come here in super cold temps then I expect the visiting team should have the same heated benches and heaters on the sideline that our team does.  If weather is a bigger issue then games should be postponed.  Hell it wasnt even safe for the fans.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s not always 90+ degrees in the stadium. When it is- it’s a clear advantage.  Do you disagree? 

The visiting teams players safety is at risk 

when temperatures reach 90+, while the home teams players are at lesser risk. Player safety should be equal.  In that stadium, under certain conditions, it isn’t equal.  Player safety comes first.  

But apparently not when playing in Miami when its 90 degrees.  The home team has a decided advantage.  

this isn’t about wins and losses.  You may claim that it is, but you’re wrong.  Per usual. 

Lol I go almost every year.  Wrong per usual lmao

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202109190mia.htm

89 degrees, relative humidity 59%, wind 7 mph

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202009200mia.htm

90 degrees, relative humidity 68%, wind 5 mph

So besides all that....

What was the temperature yesterday?  88 at kickoff.

Wimpy ass Pats fan crybabies I swear lol.

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Right because this has been brought up so much over the last 4 years. But we don’t care about the loss. Lmao

It wasn't brought up because we didnt see this effect on players during the game in the past 4 years. The real feel temperature was in the 100's.

2018: 12/02 85 degrees

2019: 11/17 64 degrees

2020: 9/20 77 degrees

2021: 9/19 81 degrees

2022: 9/26 89 degrees

9 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Can’t call it cheating.  To me it’s genius if you’re looking for a homefield advantage. Don’t get me wrong, I hate that the Sun impacted our guys like that. It really made a huge difference. 

But if it’s not against the rules, it’s not cheating. It’s simply an incredible homefield advantage. Really no way for Buffalo to gain that kind of mid-game weather advantage.  I’m sure none of us would complain if there was a way to do so. 

It's cheating as *****.

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

It wasn't brought up because we didnt see this effect on players during the game in the past 4 years. The real feel temperature was in the 100's.

2018: 12/02 85 degrees

2019: 11/17 64 degrees

2020: 9/20 77 degrees

2021: 9/19 81 degrees

2022: 9/26 89 degrees

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So besides all that....

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So besides all that....

Wrong.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/fl/miami/KMIA/date/2020-9-20

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/fl/miami/KMIA/date/2021-9-19

Edited by What a Tuel

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.