Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

27 minutes ago, Dopey said:

This happens all the time down here for college games. It’s called home field advantage. Suck it up and quit crying, TBD. 

I somewhat agree, but a lot of Miami, UF, FSU home games have late afternoon/night start times.  Also, college rosters are much larger than the NFL 48 man active list for Gameday. 

Nevermind regional scheduling.  When’s the last time you saw an Ohio State play a Florida school at noon in Florida.  Most of those games are played in places that are inside like Atlanta/Dallas, ie Oregon vs UGA. 

I went to the Utah/UF game in the swamp.   It was a night game, and Utah players were still struggling even on a rainy day with lower than average temps. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

I somewhat agree, but a lot of Miami, UF, FSU home games have late afternoon/night start times.  Also, college rosters are much larger than the NFL 48 man active list for Gameday. 

Disagree . I live in Tallahassee and the Noles have been pretty bad the past few years. Because of how bad they’ve been, they were given quite a few noon games, instead of the 3-330 prime spots. No shade for either side in a noon game. 330 games provided shade for the home team right around half time. Been to quite a few games on either side. You will definitely feel the heat, but that’s home field advantage. Miami sucks and has it’s share of noon games too. 

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Disagree . I live in Tallahassee and the Noles have been pretty bad the past few years. Because of how bad they’ve been, they were given quite a few noon games, instead of the 3-330 prime spots. No shade for either side in a noon game. 330 games provided shade for the home team right around half time. Been to quite a few games on either side. You will definitely feel the heat, but that’s home field advantage. Miami sucks and has it’s share of noon games too. 

They do, but they also play plenty of 330/7/8 games.  

Also, as I said above, college active rosters are almost twice the size.  

Anecdotally, I went to a noon late October game between Syracuse and Clemson.  Noon start.  Game time temp 95 degrees.  They literally stopped the game multiple times for water breaks. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The Heat definitely played a factor in the game but I also think the 63 pass attempts didn’t help either. Diggs was cramping and Olineman were dropping like flies and were so gassed they couldn’t pass protect late in the game. Offense was on the field the majority of the 2nd half 

Had the Bills not passed 63 times, there likely woulda been a lot more 3 and outs and a much wider margin of victory for the Fins.     

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Seriously,  stop complaining like babies.  We lost and played in the same conditions as the Fish

Some of it is whining, but also… we didn’t.  Sun bearing down on you wears over time … it’s why their side is shaded and the opponent isn’t.  

End of the day, whether by design or Miami’s bend/don’t break, our TOP domination ended up being our demise.

By the end of drives our guys were gassed.   In the 4th quarter, bodies started giving out.  

Credit to Miami for blitzing tf out of our OL that can’t really rotate - they just have to stay out in the heat and take it.  And credit to Miami for doing that AND not allowing any big plays.  End result… OL gassed and WR’s running empty routes over and over to exhaustion.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Seriously,  stop complaining like babies.  We lost and played in the same conditions as the Fish

but the conditions aren’t the same. That’s the point.

I’m not clutching pearls and demanding a rematch but this isn’t a great setup for the league in general 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety. 

I agree with you 100%.  Now that you and several other posters have pointed this out, it makes total sense.  I was just commenting in another thread how it seemed so weird that the Bills were struggling so bad with the heat, and cramping.  I remember watching the game at one point and the camera panned to the Bills sideline, and I said to myself "damn they look hot baking in that heat".

I don't know if I call it smart thinking or an unfair advantage or what, but it's DEFINITELY a considerable home field advantage for at least the first two months of the season....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.