Miami home field sun advantage and why this is wrong on so many levels

oldschoolfootball1963

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety. 

I just read the entire thread. I don’t care who won the game. The winner is not important. If you took your 80 year old grandma into that stadium what side of the stadium 🏟 would you sit her on for 4 hours. We have many 300 pound men expending lots of energy. This is not right. It has nothing to do with who wins or losses. If the Bills had won I would be saying the same thing. That side of the field was unsafe for player safety. Korey Stringer died of heat stroke for the Minn Vikings. 
This was unsafe period and this effects players in different ways. We may have a few players that might not play in Baltimore because of the effects of this game. I was very worried someone might die in this game. Credit Miami for hanging in there. But look at their defense 90 plays and still doing well. Now look at the Bills offense. They look like they might die out there. If you don’t think that this is a problem then you are the problem. 

Edited by oldschoolfootball1963
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 13
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, Stretch said:

I’m sorry, but I don't see this as cheating.  It’s smartly building an advantage.

I generally agree and at large it doesn’t bother me. But a 30 degree temperature advantage where away team is at 112 degrees in the sun and the rules say no cooling fans/benches is wild. 

Most games aren’t as dangerous as it was yesterday. There has to be a league rule in the hot or cold so that when things are dangerous teams can at least have safety measures like fans. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I generally agree and at large it doesn’t bother me. But a 30 degree temperature advantage where away team is at 112 degrees in the sun and the rules say no cooling fans/benches is wild. 

Most games aren’t as dangerous as it was yesterday. There has to be a league rule in the hot or cold so that when things are dangerous teams can at least have safety measures like fans. 

Is this correct?  I'm sure I saw cooling fans on the Bills' sideline and the broadcast team specifically mentioned that the Bills flew in their own cooling benches for the game...

• Like (+1) 2

It should be like how we handle heat safety in the military.  If temperatures reach a certain heat index, then we postpone training or exercises outdoors until optimal temperatures are met.  Or typically in places where temps are 100 plus everyday, we spend a few days before training starts to climatize to the area.  Heat stroke and heat injuries are no joke.  They should've treated this game like a lightening delay and just waited til later in the day to play 

• Like (+1) 7

I believe teams are responsible for bringing their own heating and cooling gear to away games.  I wonder if we could get away with some giant tents that obstruct the fan views (although in Miami typically on our sideline I guess it's mostly Bills fans) 

But I did see Josh under a tent at times, I know we have fans, I believe we bring all that stuff ourselves.  It sucked to see the heat impact the game yesterday, but I don't think things are gonna change (maybe in another 10-20 years if climate change makes it truly dangerous / unbearable,  those stadiums will just be all indoors.)

7 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Is this correct?  I'm sure I saw cooling fans on the Bills' sideline and the broadcast team specifically mentioned that the Bills flew in their own cooling benches for the game...

I think there were fans, but I read that because the Dolphins don’t use tents that the road team cannot use them because it would give them an unfair advantage. I found a reddit thread with fans from a lot of teams talking about how their team played their worst game of the year in Miami because of the heat. Bill Belichick has talked about how the heat in Miami is the biggest home field advantage in the league. It’s due to the stadium design and it’s BS.

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

The NFL or players association needs to step in and do something about this. We could have had several players die or be so heat effected that it could effect those players for several games. This is a safety issue. When the dolphins play in buffalo they have the same heaters and cold weather gear and it’s on equal footing. In Miami one team gets to be in the shade the entire game while the other side bakes in the sun. I’ve never been to Hard Rock stadium. But it appears there is some sort of screen or something that keeps their side shady. This is a very unfair advantage that effects the players heath. It would be like the dolphins having to play in leather helmets Vs the Bill's with todays helmet technology. I’m not pissed that we lost. I’m mad about how the sun effected the Bills players more because one team gets the shade while the other team bakes. This needs to stop to protect player safety. 

I live here is south Florida and have been saying since the new stadium bakes the opponent by design of the owner of the Dolphins. The position and roof design give complete shade on the home team side and cook the visitors. The only solution I see is to ban 1 pm games from this stadium in September and October or extens the roof to shade the entire stadium. This is the tropics.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 8
  • Dislike 1

It is what it is, and it’s not going to change, but people literally die from heat stroke.  

Southern high schools and colleges have protocols in place to deal with the heat.  To have a stadium designed to amplify the heat on the opponent is pretty wild.

Apparently it’s going to take an Offensive Lineman passing out on the field and being taken to the hospital in an ambulance to have the NFL being called by fans/media to step in.  God forbid someone dies on the field. 

• Like (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.