What happened to QB sweep?

Hebert19

First off...yesterday was this years jags game.  You walk away wondering how the hell we lost but in the end we will be just fine.  

Now back to the topic.  The QB sweep was one of the most effective plays last year...and typically didn't result in Josh taking hits as he had some blockers and a head of steam.  If we are going to run him I'd prefer we see more of thar and less of the read option.  

Thoughts.  This a dorsey thing?

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

If you're going shotgun on 2nd down and goal from the half yard line that should of been called instead of what we witnessed. 

We all need to be patient and give Dorsey some time. 

The second down RPO was a bad call that’s the down ya play action and try to get a TE agree on coverage.  I think not having usual center kept them in shotgun but the RPO handoffs to the  backs really slows them down.   Maybe all the heat issues really limited the bodies they could get out there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

First off...yesterday was this years jags game.  You walk away wondering how the hell we lost but in the end we will be just fine.  

Did the Bills end up as the #1 seed in the AFC last year?  Nope, so don’t say that after horrible losses in games like yesterday, and last years train wreck against the Jags that “we will be just fine”.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Did the Bills end up as the #1 seed in the AFC last year?  Nope, so don’t say that after horrible losses in games like yesterday, and last years train wreck against the Jags that “we will be just fine”.

In defense of his post...its the Dolphins at 3-0 in 1st place in the division and conference...then a huge log jam at 2-1 with us right there.  We play the Ravens and Chiefs in the next 3 weeks (2 of the currently 2-1 teams) and obviously get the Dolphins again.

I think the team will be fine.  We aren't 0-3.  We're 2-1.

Every NFL team, even the very good ones loses games like this once a season. Just a stupid game where every little thing goes wrong at the worst time.

Bills, however, aren’t going to win every game by 10+.  They need to be the strong team at the end of games to either win them or make a defensive play to close them out. McDermott has to fix that aspect of this team. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

In defense of his post...its the Dolphins at 3-0 in 1st place in the division and conference...then a huge log jam at 2-1 with us right there.  We play the Ravens and Chiefs in the next 3 weeks (2 of the currently 2-1 teams) and obviously get the Dolphins again.

I think the team will be fine.  We aren't 0-3.  We're 2-1.

I’m talking about ending up as the very important #1 seed.  Lose games like last years Titans, Steelers & Jags, and yesterdays game, and you end up on the  road come playoff time. 

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

If you're going shotgun on 2nd down and goal from the half yard line that should of been called instead of what we witnessed. 

We all need to be patient and give Dorsey some time. 

3 cracks from the 1 yard line with under 2-minutes to go. 

Not sure why this team finds it so hard to run simple/turn around and handoff run plays. 

How are you not milking clock and running 3 times from the 1 there? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

3 cracks from the 1 yard line with under 2-minutes to go. 

Not sure why this team finds it so hard to run simple/turn around and handoff run plays. 

How are you not milking clock and running 3 times from the 1 there? 

Or a sneak 

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m talking about ending up as the very important #1 seed.  Lose games like last years Titans, Steelers & Jags, and yesterdays game, and you end up on the  road come playoff time. 

I gotcha.  Hopefully we can get some guys back and go on a mini-run before the bye week.  If we can pull off 3-0 before the bye we would have the tie breaker over Baltimore, Pittsburgh (if they somehow finished in a spot to compete for the one seed lol), and KC.  Hopefully we don't drop another "should have won that" game this year and find ways to close out close ones.

Now back to the topic.  The QB sweep was one of the most effective plays last year...and typically didn't result in Josh taking hits as he had some blockers and a head of steam.  If we are going to run him I'd prefer we see more of thar and less of the read option.  

i mean, seems like a lot of people around here want to wrap Allen in bubble wrap and keep the designed runs out of the playbook. 

This reminded me of the Fitz Patriot game where we needed Brady to throw 5 INTs, one of which was a pick 6 and STILL needed a last second FG to win.  It was one of those games where you were happy for the win but you knew how unlikely it would be for them to play that bad again.  Then in the rematch we got stomped even after jumping out to another 21-0 lead.  

Similar outcome coming in Buffalo for Miami

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

Our TE was in the locker room hooked up to an IV and we were playing with the third string center. We were in shotgun because goal line snaps under center are the hardest snaps. Eric Wood talked about this before the game. The Dolphins were rotating in defensive players while Josh was exhausted. I don’t think he could have beaten anybody to the edge at that point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.