An Encouraging Loss

smuvtalker

If we struggle against Baltimore, I'll start to worry.  Our team didn't look like it could handle the heat in Miami today (in addition to the players that were out), but we still looked like the better team for most of the game.  We will beat them in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

Best I felt about a loss in maybe my lifetime 

We dominated them in every category, with 9 starters out the game and a couple backups!

Unfortunately we made some crucial errors in crucial spots. That's fixable..

Salute to Miami. They played hard.

It won't be close when they come to Orchard Park. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No one can rationalize better than a Bills fan.

I mean we are talking world class ability to rationalize any situation.

Next we will hear that it was actually a good thing that we lost.

Did you really expect this team was going to go 17-0?

Tell me how many teams would win against a solid, division rival missing their two star safeties, two starting DTs, starting CB, starting center and then lose their #2 WR in the first quarter (Kumerow was #2 today, Gabe obviously still isn't 100%, but gutted it out when Kumerow went down), lose their backup center and have to start a kid just called up from the practice squad, lose their right tackle, their right guard, and have their two healthy receivers cramping up and barely able to stay on the field in the 2nd half, etc., etc.

It was 99 degrees on the field with no wind/breeze. And the Bills sideline in the Sun all day (another big advantage for the Phins).

These aren't rationalizations, those are the reality of the game today. Did they make mistakes, execute poorly at key times, etc. Yes, they did. But to not be able to see this as a valiant effort under very difficult circumstances and act as if it should have been an easy win or something, seems to be more in the realm of fantasy to me than any of these so-called rationalizations.

I chalk this one up like the New England wind game last year. Yes, we should have still won, but I'm not calling for anyone's head. Just horrible circumstances from start to finish. Suck it up and move on to the next game. 

I also think a lot of people are underestimating how much the first two weeks took out of the team. Two big, primetime games against two very good teams. The Bills mustered up a lot of energy for those two games. And coming back from that on a short week with as many injuries as we had was a tough ask to get the W, and yet with all of that, we only lost by 2 in their house with a chance to win it at the end. We held their offense in check and outgained them significantly, with a huge disparity in time of possession. I'm not dismissing the mistakes that led to the loss, but I am understanding of them.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, folz said:

I chalk this one up like the New England wind game last year. Yes, we should have still won, but I'm not calling for anyone's head. Just horrible circumstances from start to finish. Suck it up and move on to the next game. 

It would be nice for the Bills to win a game that they didnt dominate and in fact may not have been the better team... 

Encouraging losses are only for teams in rebuild mode (i.e., the previous lost against Miami in Allen's first year), but I agree that this lost is not discouraging, as long as any injuries are not serious and they bounce back next week.  At least it puts to bed all that 17-0 nonsense.

Edited by Billy Claude

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

GTFOH 

This is the better team.

GF…

Never says fhey weren't better …what’s your comment got to do with the post you quoted? 

They were the better team and lost…

When was the last time they won a game when they weren’t the better team? like Miami did yesterday…

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No one can rationalize better than a Bills fan.

I mean we are talking world class ability to rationalize any situation

There is a segment of every fan base that sees things through rose colored glasses rationalizes just about everything to feel better about their team.

Just as there is a segment of every fan base that sees everything through a veil of negativity and constantly whines.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Next we will hear that it was actually a good thing that we lost.

You might not want to listen to Von Miller's post game interview where he states "A loss like this is good medicine." Of course we all know he doesn't know nearly as much about football as you do...

• Like (+1) 1

I have two thoughts on this game: By the 4th quarter it felt like a preseason game where our JV team was playing against Miami's starters. And lost by two points. Any other team with 60-70% of their starters out would have been roasted, but our JV showed a lot of heart in keeping it close.

Which brings me to my second point. I don't know if many of you are old enough to remember the Epic in Miami game (vs SD), but this game brought those memories rushing back. In all of these years, I haven't seen a game that compared until today. If you haven't seen it, watch it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

so sick of the close loss “learning opportunities”.   With all the chocking in various ways in close games they have learned nothing.  

I am hopeful that this loss will change our thinking late in games,  I think Sean's got over the hump on offensive side and is not afraid to play aggressive style football on offence.  Sean and Frazier now need to start thinking of playing more aggressive on defensive side,  With Von Miller/ Rousseau/Philips/Oliver/Boggie they have the horses to start attacking/blizing more and getting sacks turnovers in these close games.  The front 7 contains our most talented players,  they need to start unleashing them.  Frazier was a member on that famous Bears defence,  not suggesting we go 100% that direction but occasionally throw in some aggressive plays that came from that defence. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, folz said:

Did you really expect this team was going to go 17-0?

Tell me how many teams would win against a solid, division rival missing their two star safeties, two starting DTs, starting CB, starting center and then lose their #2 WR in the first quarter (Kumerow was #2 today, Gabe obviously still isn't 100%, but gutted it out when Kumerow went down), lose their backup center and have to start a kid just called up from the practice squad, lose their right tackle, their right guard, and have their two healthy receivers cramping up and barely able to stay on the field in the 2nd half, etc., etc.

It was 99 degrees on the field with no wind/breeze. And the Bills sideline in the Sun all day (another big advantage for the Phins).

These aren't rationalizations, those are the reality of the game today. Did they make mistakes, execute poorly at key times, etc. Yes, they did. But to not be able to see this as a valiant effort under very difficult circumstances and act as if it should have been an easy win or something, seems to be more in the realm of fantasy to me than any of these so-called rationalizations.

I also think a lot of people are underestimating how much the first two weeks took out of the team. Two big, primetime games against two very good teams. The Bills mustered up a lot of energy for those two games. And coming back from that on a short week with as many injuries as we had was a tough ask to get the W, and yet with all of that, we only lost by 2 in their house with a chance to win it at the end. We held their offense in check and outgained them significantly, with a huge disparity in time of possession. I'm not dismissing the mistakes that led to the loss, but I am understanding of them.

Excellent, excellent points you bring up, especially with the heat.  It seemed to me like we really struggled with the heat and cramping.  Not to say Miami's players didn't too, but it looked like our guys were really struggling.  In the 4th, Diggs just looked absolutely gassed.  

You also made a great point about how much those first two games, both prime time national spotlight games might have taken a toll on us, both physically AND emotionally.... coupled with us having so many injuries AND coming into Miami on a short week.  

To leave as many plays and points on the field like we did and still be in a position to win the game is a testament to just how good this team is.  

7 hours ago, alanvh2o said:

We left a ton of plays on the field and Miami really did not.

This x 100.  This is what it really boiled down to in a nutshell.  If you think about it, we basically played our worst game of the short season and Miami gave us their very best and played lights out, making very few mistakes(or at least we couldn't capitalize on them). 

You take that into consideration coupled with us missing damn near half the team, and only losing by two, in the last seconds of the game.....I can't help but be encouraged.  This team, firing on all cylinders, is simply UNSTOPPABLE.  Period.

It was an encouraging loss. Go look at the box score. They had a 21 yard rusher and Tua had 186 yards. 

it’s one of those games where if you get a do-over on any one of like 10 plays you win the game. Missed FG, the 45 yard waddle catch on 3rd and 22, strip sack, goal line play calls, two different spiking scenarios, Milano missed pick 6, etc. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.