An Encouraging Loss

smuvtalker

Guys,

A loss is never an easy thing to swallow, especially for us Bills fans this day and age, considering the fact we have arguably the best, most talented team in the NFL AND are the consensus super bowl favorites.  I go into every game fully expecting to win, and there's not a team in this league that scares me.

With that said, and for the first time in a very long time I was very nervous heading into this game, for obvious reasons:  starting two rookie CB's against two of the fastest and talented receivers in the league, both starting safeties out, our two best defensive tackles out and a third less than 100%, one of our starting LB's less than 100%, our number two WR less than 100%, ditto for our starting TE.  THEN, right before kickoff we find out our center is out for the game.  Really?  

No worries.  But to add injury to more injury, during the course of the game, we manage to lose two more starting offensive lineman!  Our RG AND RT.  Oh yeah and btw, our all world number one WR is lost for significant chunks of minutes due to cramping/injury. 

Due to injuries or whatever, our offensive line was overwhelmed all game.  Even though he threw for 400 yards, Josh looked out of sync for much of the day. He rarely had any time to throw, as it seemed like the offensive line was completely overwhelmed by Miami's front four.  The pocket seemed to collapse around him all day, and even though the stat line says he was only sacked four times, he was hurried or knocked down far too often. Singletary was blown up at or behind the line several times.  Singletary's rushing numbers, 9 carries for 13 yards. Moss's rushing numbers (minus his 43 yard scamper), 3 carries for 3 yards.

Buffalo giftwrapped Miami a TD by giving them the ball at the 6 yard line.

That last drive of the first half, Van Rotten was utterly abysmal in his snapping duties, and was singlehandedly responsible for us going into the locker room without at least a FG attempt. 

The usually reliable Bass missed what should have been a chip shot 38 yard FG.

Tua gifted Milano with a pass right into his mitts that should've been a guaranteed pick six.

Yet despite ALL that happening to us, despite everything that went wrong, there we were at the end of the game in a position to limp out of Hard Rock Stadium with a W.  Going into a game vs a hated division rival, in 90 degree temps, missing a frumptillion players, and losing by 2?

I don't think I realized it FULLY, until today, just how effing deep, talented, and utterly amazing this team is, and the potential to do other-worldly things on the football field.   When this season is said and done, I really wont even try to guess how many records are shattered.  

I remain as encouraged as ever after today's loss.  Maybe even more so.

LET'S GO BUFFALO!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Yeah this wasn’t the jags or Colts loss last year, I feel like this defense proved today once healthy will be dominant this season.

I’d rather have an ugly win but in no way does this slow down the train, get yourself to 4-3 or 5-2 and the 1 seed is very much in play.

• Like (+1) 1

The loss we had to have. Get it out of the way early

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Always look on the bright side of life

Every cloud has a silver lining

This is the loss we had to have

Did I miss any?

One week at a time. She'll be apples mate

Personally, I wasn't planning on 20-0.  And after so many years of irrelevancy, being the SB fave was fun - but also a bit too much attention.  

We'll never be under the radar this season, but we also won't be the most talked about for a week at least.  I'd obviously always prefer the win, but taking some pressure & scrutiny off the season is at least a small silver lining.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Guys,

A loss is never an easy thing to swallow, especially for us Bills fans this day and age, considering the fact we have arguably the best, most talented team in the NFL AND are the consensus super bowl favorites.  I go into every game fully expecting to win, and there's not a team in this league that scares me.

With that said, and for the first time in a very long time I was very nervous heading into this game, for obvious reasons:  starting two rookie CB's against two of the fastest and talented receivers in the league, both starting safeties out, our two best defensive tackles out and a third less than 100%, one of our starting LB's less than 100%, our number two WR less than 100%, ditto for our starting TE.  THEN, right before kickoff we find out our center is out for the game.  Really?  

No worries.  But to add injury to more injury, during the course of the game, we manage to lose two more starting offensive lineman!  Our RG AND RT.  Oh yeah and btw, our all world number one WR is lost for significant chunks of minutes due to cramping/injury. 

Due to injuries or whatever, our offensive line was overwhelmed all game.  Even though he threw for 400 yards, Josh looked out of sync for much of the day. He rarely had any time to throw, as it seemed like the offensive line was completely overwhelmed by Miami's front four.  The pocket seemed to collapse around him all day, and even though the stat line says he was only sacked four times, he was hurried or knocked down far too often. Singletary was blown up at or behind the line several times.  Singletary's rushing numbers, 9 carries for 13 yards. Moss's rushing numbers (minus his 43 yard scamper), 3 carries for 3 yards.

Buffalo giftwrapped Miami a TD by giving them the ball at the 6 yard line.

That last drive of the first half, Van Rotten was utterly abysmal in his snapping duties, and was singlehandedly responsible for us going into the locker room without at least a FG attempt. 

The usually reliable Bass missed what should have been a chip shot 38 yard FG.

Tua gifted Milano with a pass right into his mitts that should've been a guaranteed pick six.

Yet despite ALL that happening to us, despite everything that went wrong, there we were at the end of the game in a position to limp out of Hard Rock Stadium with a W.  Going into a game vs a hated division rival, in 90 degree temps, missing a frumptillion players, and losing by 2?

I don't think I realized it FULLY, until today, just how effing deep, talented, and utterly amazing this team is, and the potential to do other-worldly things on the football field.   When this season is said and done, I really wont even try to guess how many records are shattered.  

I remain as encouraged as ever after today's loss.  Maybe even more so.

LET'S GO BUFFALO!

I felt this way soon after the game ended, then I realized how many blown chances we had. Milano drop pick 6, Davis should be TD, Allen bad pass on 4th at the 1, last drive McKenzie not getting out of bounds... those mistakes had nothing to do with injuries or heat... we blew this one. I'm not panicking or anything, but we blew it.

• Like (+1) 1

On to Baltimore.  I think McKenzie and Allen both said "we will learn from this."  That is the right attitude.  It defines nothing, take from it what we can - and yeah, under different circumstances they know, we know and I think even Dolphins fans know (at least the ones I spoke to), that we would beat them handily.  We should have today.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No one can rationalize better than a Bills fan.

I mean we are talking world class ability to rationalize any situation.

Next we will hear that it was actually a good thing that we lost.

I think Bills fans do the opposite of rationalising losses.  DOOOM is predicted.  It is easy not to feel much doom after this one, at least for me.  No chronic weakness with the team was shown, like when Indy ran on us for what seemed like 300 yards.  It was hot, we were beat up and we left plays on the field.  Stuff happens.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No one can rationalize better than a Bills fan.

I mean we are talking world class ability to rationalize any situation.

Next we will hear that it was actually a good thing that we lost.

Huge difference between being rational and rationalizing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.